FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld-411/)
-   -   Denied entry to CX SFO Lounge as OWE (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oneworld/1952833-denied-entry-cx-sfo-lounge-owe.html)

bdod6 Jan 24, 2019 8:45 pm

Denied entry to CX SFO Lounge as OWE

I'm flying British Airways as a Oneworld Emerald, and was just told that I could not go into the Cathay Lounge. Only BA Gold members are allowed. This seems completely arbitrary and ridiculous. BA is renovating their SFO lounge, but it doesn't seem like CX should be allowed to change their OWE policy as a result. Very disappointing.

Anyone else experience this?

tom911 Jan 24, 2019 9:29 pm

When I flew Qantas in November as a One World Sapphire, they sent me to the Cathay lounge. Back in May they sent me to Air France. Several travel blogs covered the Cathay agreement with Qantas just this last week as if it was something new, but it had been in place for a few months. Any lounge reserves the right to restrict capacity. Maybe you're running up against that with anticipated evening departures, which could include Qantas flights to both SYD and MEL as well as a Cathay flight to HKG. Whose One World card are you trying to enter under?

BA's current agreement, during remodeling, is not with Cathay.

Note: Our San Francisco Lounge is closed while we work to bring you an entirely new lounge experience. You're invited to use the China Airlines Dynasty Lounge in the interim.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...siness-lounges

flying4workNfun Jan 25, 2019 11:55 am

In 2018 I attempted entry to the CX lounge at SFO multiple times, and it was hit and miss: sometimes they smiled and let me in, and other times they said they could not due to capacity. I know other FT'ers have pressed the issue and showed them the OneWorld policy and everything, but I have enough other things on my mind that when not granted entry I am content to not make a fuss and simply go elsewhere.

Often1 Jan 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Complain to your "home" air carrier. CX could care less and does not need to be shown anything. It is well aware of the rules.

It is your "home" carrier which needs to put up a fuss.

allset2travel Jan 25, 2019 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by bdod6 (Post 30697652)
I'm flying British Airways as a Oneworld Emerald, and was just told that I could not go into the Cathay Lounge. Only BA Gold members are allowed. This seems completely arbitrary and ridiculous. BA is renovating their SFO lounge, but it doesn't seem like CX should be allowed to change their OWE policy as a result. Very disappointing.

oneworld Emerald = BA Gold

New BA arrangement in SFO and CX capacity could certainly be a factor. But you should have mention you are as good as BA Gold!

tom911 Jan 25, 2019 12:37 pm

Is he BA Gold, though? He could be One World Emerald with AA or someone else. Not very clear to me which is why I asked a few posts back.

serfty Jan 25, 2019 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by bdod6 (Post 30697652)

Welcome to FlyerTalk :)

For us to assist better, some more information would be useful.

Where were you told you could not go to the Cathay lounge? Check-in? At the lounge itself?

What airline are you one world Emerald with?

bdod6 Jan 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 30702027)
Welcome to FlyerTalk :)

For us to assist better, some more information would be useful.

Where were you told you could not go to the Cathay lounge? Check-in? At the lounge itself?

What airline are you one world Emerald with?

Thanks for the message.

This was the agent working behind the desk when i was at the Cathay lounge itself. No indication or communication had been sent before. I earned my OWE through American. Usually credit to BA so I didn't have BAEC status.

bdod6 Jan 26, 2019 6:10 pm

Also, to be clear this was definitely not about capacity, but related to the ongoing renovation in SFO.

serfty Jan 27, 2019 6:26 pm

As an AA EXP travelling internationally on oneworld you should have been allowed Emerald access.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...access/SFO/906

Of course, CX are very protective of their lounge - they mey see AAdvantage and just say an automatic NO!

Did you try the China Airlines Dynasty Lounge ?

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...access/SFO/832

If, so, what was it like?

ernestnywang Jan 27, 2019 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 30708086)
Of course, CX are very protective of their lounge - they mey see AAdvantage and just say an automatic NO!

I thought BA is, but not CX?

serfty Jan 27, 2019 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang (Post 30708143)
I thought BA is, but not CX?

It has been an ongoing issue with Qantas elites not/getting access there since Qantas resumed their SFO flights.

bdod6 Jan 28, 2019 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 30708086)
Did you try the China Airlines Dynasty Lounge ?

If, so, what was it like?

I went to the China Airlines lounge and it was pretty terrible. All the BA flyers were cramped into a small room, and the food/drink selection in the lounge was far more limited. Generally an awful experience.

safari ari Feb 7, 2019 1:47 pm

Anyone know what would happen if I have a JL J ticket as a OW Sapphire? Would I be able to get access? I know there is a CX flight at noon, but even then it is hardly crowded, and per OW I should be able to access any lounge (for the most part).

bdod6 Mar 6, 2019 7:09 pm

Update:

Just wanted to say I contacted Cathay and they agreed that they should not have happened. They sent me a small cash voucher as an apology, and confirmed that OW E/S can use the lounge regardless of whatever BA renovations are happening.