Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld Emerald benefit questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Silver
Oneworld Emerald benefit questions

Hello, apologies if this is the incorrect place or way to ask these questions.

I just flew from LAX to DFW, and am continuing onwards to another city, all on AA. Currently sitting in the Admirals Club at Terminal D with the following questions.

I have LATAM Black, which is emerald. I read that OW Emeralds could utilize the Flagship First Checkin at LAX. When I went to go utilize it, I was told no because it was only for AA international first class and JFK bound first class, even though the AA website says Emeralds can use it when flying on any AA flight, not solely international.

Now at DFW, I've gotten access to the international first dining room on multiple occasions thanks to Emerald, including on flights that were <30 min or less. Now I'm being told it's only for international bound Emeralds, although I cannot find such a policy change anywhere.

Should I have been able to use these benefits? Or is this regular procedure for Emeralds traveling on AA?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
My understanding is that as a OW Emerald (not AA EXP) you are entitled to use first class options when flying anywhere on oneworld, including domestic America. I'm not aware that anything has changed.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
You were denied wrongly both times.

I'm QF Platinum and regularly use AA Flagship Checkin at LAX since it's my home airport. Access rules are clearly stated on aa.com. Never have been denied or questioned for my domestic flights. They usually look on their list, not find me on it, and I just tell them I'm Qantas Emerald (yes, I've found that's easier for them than Platinum, Black, Gold, etc) and they let you right through.

Never any problem in Dallas either (though the food in there is nothing spectacular).
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by crfgon
Hello, apologies if this is the incorrect place or way to ask these questions.

I just flew from LAX to DFW, and am continuing onwards to another city, all on AA. Currently sitting in the Admirals Club at Terminal D with the following questions.

I have LATAM Black, which is emerald. I read that OW Emeralds could utilize the Flagship First Checkin at LAX. When I went to go utilize it, I was told no because it was only for AA international first class and JFK bound first class, even though the AA website says Emeralds can use it when flying on any AA flight, not solely international.
QF Plat/OW Emerald. I used the AA Flagship Check in at LAX T5 last October, twice, without issue. Was turned away from T4 the year before. Was flying Y LAX-SFO and F LAX-SEA.

Now at DFW, I've gotten access to the international first dining room on multiple occasions thanks to Emerald, including on flights that were <30 min or less. Now I'm being told it's only for international bound Emeralds, although I cannot find such a policy change anywhere.
When they first started rolling out the new Flagship Dining rooms in 2016, I was given an invite to the DFW room. This was during the period of the Flagship Lounges being renamed to International First Lounges during the refit process. Once the lounge refits were complete and they were renamed back to Flagship Lounges, you need to be flying in AA F on long haul or F on a 3 class transcon to access the Flagship Dining.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...rst-dining.jsp Same rules as the BA Concorde Room/Bar.

At LAX, you would have been better off heading through the T4-TBIT connector and using the QF F lounge.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i think international first dining is not part of emerald benefits.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i think international first dining is not part of emerald benefits.

also, at jfk, there is also emerald check-in area.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Not at the new LAX lounge.
Emerald has previously had access to the small (ex smokers room) at DFW which had an ok buffet and real champagne, rather than the rest of the Admirals Club
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Correct. First Class Dining at DFW D is still considered by AA to be an International First Class lounge, and thus Emerald eligible. Please see the bottom of: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by moa999
Not at the new LAX lounge.
Emerald has previously had access to the small (ex smokers room) at DFW which had an ok buffet and real champagne, rather than the rest of the Admirals Club
They still have access at DFW - used it last month - it's a buffet but the food is very reasonable.

"Flagship Dining" is a Class of service facility with no status based access.

Interestingly, It looks like an area was designed for this at the new ORD Flagship lounge, but AA did not implement it.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Interestingly, It looks like an area was designed for this at the new ORD Flagship lounge, but AA did not implement it.
It was included in the design when there was still F on some AA international flights out of ORD. They didn't bother changing it when they dropped the F cabins. It is nice and quiet, but gets a bit hot in the sun.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:15 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
DFW doesn't have the new lounges yet (or international first dining) does it?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
They are working on them and the first class dining is a substitute for a Flagship lounge rather than international first dining.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Have just flown on AA SAN-MIA-GCM with a five hour layover in MIA at 5am. As Emerald (BA Gold) I was pleasantly surprised to be invited into the new Flagship Lounge in MIA. In my experience, on past occasions MIA-GCM had not been considered a true "international" flight for purposes of using the Flagship Lounge; this time, even though I was flying Economy out of MIA, I used it - and very pleasant it was, even having had no sleep.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
DFW Dining

Originally Posted by sxc
DFW does have First class dining in their Business class lounge.... I was there in February.
I was flying to Mexico as a EXP and got an invite. The lounge said her scan of my boarding pass said I was eligible.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Full Score
Have just flown on AA SAN-MIA-GCM with a five hour layover in MIA at 5am. As Emerald (BA Gold) I was pleasantly surprised to be invited into the new Flagship Lounge in MIA. In my experience, on past occasions MIA-GCM had not been considered a true "international" flight for purposes of using the Flagship Lounge; this time, even though I was flying Economy out of MIA, I used it - and very pleasant it was, even having had no sleep.
BA Gold is good for Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge access with any Oneworld departing flight, it is not good for Flagship First dining which requires international or certain transcontinental First class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.