Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Involuntary Re-routing on OWE due to schedule change by airline.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2002, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

The rules for the Oneworld Explorer Fare requires that the "first international flight and preceeding segments must be confirmed" and "changes not allowed to first international flight and preceeding segments after the ticket deadline" (for tickets originating in "Area 1" or North America).

If for some reason the airline operating the "first international flight" decides to change their flight schedule and decides to re-book me on "another" flight, will I incurr any penalty? (since the "preceeding segments" on another airline will also have to be changed in order to take the "first international flight" that I have been "re-booked" on)

For example:

The part of my booking in question is as follows:

16DEC SEA-ORD AA
17DEC ORD-DFW AA
17DEC DFW-JFK AA(arrive JFK at around 5pm)
then
17DEC JFK-HKG CX(depart JFK at around 8:30pm)
Note: This flight stops in YVR

If CX (rumor on CX board, and according to last year's "unsucessful" press release where I got some hints on their scheduling) decides to try launching their new "Non-Stop" JFK-HKG service (their attempt failed last year)with a schedule as follows:

either
17DEC JFK-HKG (departs JFK at around 9:30AM)
or
18DEC JFK-HKG (departs JFK at around 9:30AM)

will CX also let me change my preceeding AA flights so that I can take the non-stop JFK-HKG service (assuming the CX 889 JFK-YVR-HKG is discontinued and I have NO OTHER CHOICE, which makes it an "INVOLUNTARY" re-routing)?

Or assuming if CX is nice enough to re-book me on the 18DEC 9:30AM JFK-HKG non-stop without any penalty (remember, original plans are to arrive JFK on 17DEC at around 5PM on AA so I can take the CX 889 flight departing 8:30PM, but CX discontinues this filght and re-books me to the flight departing the next morning), WILL CX have the responsibility to pay for my ACCOMODATION for the night in JFK? (assuming my ticket has already been issued with my 'original' routing BEFORE CX's PRESS RELEASE that they will discontinue CX 889 and launch the non-stop JFK-HKG service which make any changes they make afterwards INVOLUNTARY).

[

[This message has been edited by daniellam (edited 05-12-2002).]
Old May 12, 2002, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Any changes made by the airline is not considered a fault on your part. As long as the airline knows of the change and they will have a history on their computer, you will not be penalised.

Old May 12, 2002, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
P.S. - Why don't you just wait till the time comes, and then ask CX about it?
Old May 12, 2002, 7:50 pm

CX will take care of it, don't be concerned. If they need to route you a different way so that you make it (for example, putting you on the AA jfk-yvr flight and connecting you to HKG) then they will.

P.S. I agree with GB. Deal with it when it comes up.
Old May 12, 2002, 9:04 pm

That exact problem happened to me recently and airlines took care of everything. No penalties.
Old May 12, 2002, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
What I am worried about is that multiple airlines are involved and I am sort of "cheating" on my Oneworld Explorer Ticket.

(From what I mean by "cheating" is that I fly back to SEA instead of YVR in order to avoid violating the "Cannot return to point of origin" rule).

YVR-JFK by CX (August so no worry)
JFK-DFW-SEA by AA (August so no worry)
SEA-ORD-DFW-JFK by AA
and JFK-HKG by CX

Won't CX be suspicious if I took my ticket to the CX office/counter in YVR to be reissued (for the involuntary reason I stated before, which may involve on cutting down the AA segments so I can make my flight etc.) for the SEA-ORD-DFW-JFK segments on AA and JFK-HKG segment on CX when I should be in SEA?

If AA in SEA did the ticket reissuing (due to having to maybe cut down on the AA segments to make the CX flight in JFK), they might not even know what is happening and maybe not give me any "overnight accomodation" (due to poor communication between carriers?) in JFK as CX's non-stop flight to HKG most likely departs in the morning (if I am eligible since CX involuntary re-routes me).

Or if I take my AA segments as planned and arrive at JFK in the evening then rushing from Terminal 9 to 7 only to find CX's airport counter closed and have no way of getting my hotel voucher from CX (assuming the "one and only" CX non-stop to HKG departs the next morning, so there won't be any CX staff until then). All I would get would be BA staff who does the ground handling for CX telling me to come back "tomorrow morning". Or would CX authorize AA or BA to give me a hotel voucher?

I guess I am too worried :-)

All I can do now is to hope that if CX launches their CX822/823 HKG-JFK and JFK-HKG non-stop service that they won't cut the CX 888/889 flights.

[This message has been edited by daniellam (edited 05-12-2002).]
Old May 12, 2002, 11:37 pm

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Since your re-routing hypothetical isn't ripe, I too suggest that you deal with ticketing issues if and when the time comes. Fretting is such a waste of time and energy. Have you no faith in CX?

I also doubt CX will cancel 889/888 with the launch of a JFK-HKG and vv. nonstop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.