Wiki Posts
Search

CX F vs. QF J

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2002, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
CX F vs. QF J

Sure, I know there's no comparison, but to get from the east coast to Australia when I want to go, there are no QF F awards available (even giving 6 possible departure dates and two possible arrival ports). The CX schedule is godawful (BOS-LAX on AA, 17 hr layover in HKG on the way over---yes, I'm sure there are worse places to spend a day---overnight layover on the way back...). So, given that the QF schedule is quite a bit better, and that I'd rather spend my vacation in Australia than in HKG...how is QF in J???
Old May 9, 2002, 4:34 pm

If it's a two class jet, they are like AA domestic first (non 767/777). If it's three class, it is like AA international biz.

[This message has been edited by Darren (edited 05-09-2002).]
Old May 9, 2002, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Darren:
If it's a two class jet, they are like AA domestic first (non 767/777). If it's three class, it is like AA international biz.

[This message has been edited by Darren (edited 05-09-2002).]
</font>
On the international services J is the same on QF whether it is a 3 class or 2 class aircraft. They both have the same dreamtime seats.

I would take the Qantas flight. It is pretty comfortable and better than international business class on AA and especially given that it is over an extra 4000 miles each way to go with CX. Spend the extra time in Oz rather than on a plane/transferring at airports.

Dave
Old May 9, 2002, 5:37 pm

Interesting. Maybe I had a plane change on me or something. But I did have a short Intl trip on a 767 that had the normal QF domestic config. I do agree to just go with QF. Even as much as a CX nut as I am, I wouldn't do with two less vacation days in order to fly on Cathay. If it were just the miles, I would take CX, but not with 17hr layovers.
Old May 9, 2002, 6:25 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Darren:
Interesting. Maybe I had a plane change on me or something. But I did have a short Intl trip on a 767 that had the normal QF domestic config. I do agree to just go with QF. Even as much as a CX nut as I am, I wouldn't do with two less vacation days in order to fly on Cathay. If it were just the miles, I would take CX, but not with 17hr layovers. </font>
It does happen occasionally that QF use the old config (used for international for many years) on short international sectors (say to NZ). But generally, the 767-338's used for international sectors have the same dreamtime seats (in a 1x2x2 config) as the 744's. Note the 742 and 743 still have the same old seats as the domestic 763's.

But if we are talking Boston to Aus using AA/QF, the gateway will be LAX and the aircraft will be 744. QF International J is very confortable and I would take it over a bad routing CX F trip any day. I regularly fly QF J over the Pacific on business and altough I would try to use points of credit to upgrade to F, this is only because I have an abundance of points I have to spend on something. I am very happy with QF J on the LAX run.
Old May 9, 2002, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I'm now holding a QF J award for next March, return in April. On the return, a direct flight MEL or SYD-LAX wasn't available (for Apr 5, and today was the first day you could book that date!), so right now the return is thru Auckland, but I'm crossing my fingers that tomorrow I'll be able to get a direct flight on Apr 6. And of course, I can always hope that some F seats will open up
Old May 9, 2002, 9:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by trekker:
I'm now holding a QF J award for next March, return in April.</font>
You sure like to plAAn AAhead. Your chances of getting an award F seat on QF will improve a lot once your travel date gets closer. I have found that the best time to get a free seat is within the week prior to travel. The main problem is getting a seat on QF from LAX since AA has always plenty of routings with available award seats to get you to LAX.

Since there are 4 QF (is it still 4?) flights from LAX then your chances of landing one F seat are pretty good. QF94 and QF26 usually have better availability. Just keep calling AA (you are using AA miles, right?) until they give you what you want.
Old May 10, 2002, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Hi, Spider. Yes, I usually do try to Plan AAhead when I going for a "big" award, and have had good luck in the past getting F awards on JL and BA 330 days out. Thanks, though, for the tip on F seats on QF (of which I need two, not one) becoming available later on. I will avoid ticketing this itinerary as long as I can. (And yes, they are AA miles )
Old May 11, 2002, 1:52 pm

I don't know what the cost is going to be (or whether one is even created yet), but by that time, Lan Chile is also going to be flying to Sydney. Might be something to look into.
Old May 13, 2002, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Hmmm, Lan Chile...interesting. I will look into it. In the meantime, am I right that I should avoid ticketing as long as possible? If I've already ticketed a QF J award, can I change it to and F award w/o jumping thru flaming hoops?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.