Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlist on RTW LA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2002, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
Waitlist on RTW LA

i have a similar problem, on LA601 LAX-SCL.

AA said it is closed to even waitlist.
ON itn A was not displayed on AA/LA,
while it showed F4 on itn, (and F2 on AA7709 codeshare). It surprised me as there are only 5 total seats. that means at most one seat was booked.

i am a bit flexible on the dates, but there is a whole chain of other segments dependent. so i would like to make sure it is available before calling AA up.
is there anyway one can look at the "A" inventory on AA/LA?

Old Jan 5, 2002, 1:32 am

No. Call BA, see if they can see the availability, and if they will book a record for you.

AA can't see LA's availability for whatever reason, so they will always try to waitlist you.

Old Jan 5, 2002, 1:45 am
Original Poster

thanks darren,

i will try BA then.

the strange thing is, AA said it is not available for MWF(where i can connect on same date to UIO), but available on Tue.
they must be seeing something that is not available on ITN.
Old Jan 5, 2002, 10:40 am

pegasus, I can see A through JL's reservation system. It's last seat availability basis. I don't know the date you are traveling but I checked the first 5 days of April, showing A1 and F4 for all the dates.
Old Jan 5, 2002, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

thanks changi san,

how do i view JL's system at the class availability level? via JL's site?

i am looking at Feb 3/5/7. AA said only Feb 6 is available. which is not good as i cannot connect to UIO without an overnight at SCL.
Old Jan 5, 2002, 10:01 pm

pegasus, 3FEB and 5FEB showing F3 and A1 now! 7FEB F3 and A0. It should be available at least on the first two dates. (I can even book it for you, if AA refuses! and give a LA PNR to you.)

JL's booking service is available for a fee. It's a command-driven system like easySabre. The first few pages are in Japanese to enter the booking service itself. But thereafter, it's all commands. 'as' for availability, etc...
Old Jan 5, 2002, 11:31 pm

Sorry to ask this again, but I can't figure out how to access this advanced mode on itn.net. I can access the map, though.

How one could access this mode on ITN ?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 6, 2002, 1:53 am
Original Poster

chiangi san,

thanks so much in advance.
i actually need 2 seats for the LA flight. AA told me they are all "closed for WL".

i can "see" the A inventory now, funny enough, it is via ual.com but it showed F4A0 for Feb 3/5/7.

i figure if i can see 2 A's. it would be easy. i just need the LA PNR (for 2 pax) and tell AA to merge them (or just keep them till i board the flight, since AA has booked me for D).
with only 5 seats in total, i guess they always allocate at most 2 A's per flight. if one of these A's is taken, the 2 PAX has trouble booking the second A. but what AA failed to do is the "WL".

with 1A available i think it is a bit tricky. because if i grab this 1A and do not alert them AA, when another A is released, they still cannot book me for it.
so my options are
1. grab the seat first, tell AA the PNR and ask AA to negotiate an extra seat from LA in order to merge the PNR's
2. grab the seat, wait till the second A is avilable and grab it as well, after i got both i can tell AA to merge the PNRs.

p.s.
i remember you talked about the JL booking system a few months ago.
how much do they charge per year?
do they charge you per reservation?
do they need ticket number for making reseravtion?
i can actually read 90% japanese
(chyodo benkyo shimasuda)

---
Th,
for ITN, you need to register/login as a user, and choose advance viewing in your option/profile.

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 01-06-2002).]
Old Jan 6, 2002, 4:01 am

thalys,

1. log in
2. click travel profile on left
3. click display preferences
4. change avaliability format to a expert
5. click save
6. close window or click exit
7. click flights
8. fill in like normal
9. enjoy lots of farecode info

Needless to say, 2-6 are one time changes.

Old Jan 6, 2002, 4:10 am

It sounds a bit strange that the WL is closed when A1 is showing. It usually has to be A0. Let me check it later. (I am right now away from the software needed to access the system.)

On JL's booking system, I pay 6,000 yen per six months. (Less than 47 USD).

You do not get charged for making any reservations. Reservations and ticketing are two different things.

A ticket number is not a must to make a reservation. You can grab a seat first and then have a travel agent or a carrier issue the ticket. After a reservation is complete, some carriers, most notably CX, may return a message saying the reservation will be cxled unless a ticket number is supplied by XXX (date). Providing a ticket number does secure a seat and usually make it easier to get WL cleared than having a phantom booking without any ticket.

Wow, learning Japanese? It should be easy then. It's just the first few interface pages that are in Japanese.

I just used DONE and made all the reservations by myself, splitting up all the itineraries under separate PNRs. NRT-x/HKG-SIN under one and SIN-HKG under another. But I flew them all in one day. Yes, I confess, it turned out to be a mileage run. I just didn't want CX to flag me for a strange itineary. I also did similar split itineraries for AA just not to make them feel suspicious.

It really doesn't matter who make a reservation under a certain subclass. JL (or rather one of its subsidiaries -- JL-Sabre venture -- that is running the system) does caution its users about double-booking and they could ban the user from using the system again if found to be making double-booking.

I am flying SFO-LHR with BA and then on to GVA also with BA on DONE it's SFO-x/LHR-GVA (no stopover in LHR) but I split the PNR for the two sectors just to make sure that I get the FFP points for separate programs.

It is quite handy for sure.
Old Jan 6, 2002, 4:51 am
Original Poster

chiangi,

you just showed us a way to get 2 segments (and 1000 more miles?) for CX889 jfk-yvr-hkg ) (perhaps not exactly the same as your case, since in most cases you have only one flight coupon)
the other merit of booking separately is they won't cancel you trip if you failed to make the previous one. AA can be very nasty if you do so. what i usually do is exactly your way, calling up CX/BA to make a separately booking in A/D class and tell them the tkt # right away. with AA they always route me to RTW desk and it is just time consuming

regarding the difference between JL-Sabre and UA-itn, i think it is probably due to the non-synchronous nature of the 2 systems

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 01-06-2002).]
Old Jan 6, 2002, 7:18 am

pegasus, I just tried to book two seats on a day in March where it has F4 and A1.

It turned out LA does not accept even waitlisting for two A seats under the same PNR. But it does accept WL for one seat under one PNR, after grabbing the only 1 seat showing available under another PNR.

Maybe you might want to call LA and book two with them on their metal sectors. They'll probably ask you to do it through AA if it is the head carrier but I would tell them I've already flown all the sectors and the PNR has expired. So a fresh reservation is required.
Old Jan 6, 2002, 3:07 pm

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 6, 2002, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
LA's A class does not necessarily always show up on computer reservation systems. AA staff must therefore do a NN basis in order to find out if the seat is available or not.

Tell them to do this format:

Flight number is ficticious.

0LA222A09FEBLAXSCLNN1

If A class is available, it will return with a message as SS. If it is not available, it will say UC. If it's the latter, then ask AA to do a waitlist. Waitlist format is as follows: 0LA222A09FEBLAXSCLLL1

If the waitlist is closed, the message will return as UC WAITLIST CLOSED. But more often than not, it will just say LL.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 7, 2002, 2:07 am
Original Poster

thanks.

i called BA and the agent reluctantly made the waitlist for me.
now i am able to view the wailist status at amadeus! (checkmytrip.com)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.