Rules on when BA code shares are permitted on xONExs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

I regularly have problems with BA when getting tickets issued with code shares. They've recently been good at issuing RTW tickets starting in South Africa, but, as most of you know, the oneworld tool doesn't offer any code shares, so it's necessary to reserve the AA/CX flights and then subsequently, before the ticket is issued, ask BA to change it to include the code shares.

I've had mixed success with this. BA generally give me my choice of code share on the first flight after entering the US, but thereafter they are very inconsistent. I was once told that only the first segment is allowed to be a code share as long as the incoming US flight is with BA, but I can find no rule to this effect.

It's particularly galling after the recent changes to both the BA & AA FF programs to find certain routes with BA code shares are denied when I know they exist.

AA & JL code shares don't appear to be a problem; it's just BA code shares in the US on AA metal.

Does anyone have any info on what the rules actually say, please?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It is not at all unusual for codeshare availability to be subject to married segment rules - i.e. only available when connecting to or from that airline.

To switch a flight from operating airline to codeshare you need the codeshare to exist, availability on the codeshare, and meet any rules (such as married segment) that applies to the codeshare.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
....To switch a flight from operating airline to codeshare you need the codeshare to exist, availability on the codeshare, and meet any rules (such as married segment) that applies to the codeshare.
According to ExpertFlyer the code shares exist and there's availability. Any idea where these "married segment" rules can be found? Sometimes BA allow them, sometimes not.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC

Amadeus for example would show this information in the flight details of the codeshare: http://www.flyerguide.com/Traffic_Restriction_Codes_(AA)
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Here's an example BA codeshare flight - IME, all BA operated by AA domestic flights are coded this way:

Code:
RP/JAXBA080F/
  1  BA1951 Y 15NOV 2 JAXMIA HK1  0500 0619  15NOV  E  0 ER4
     OPERATED BY SUBSIDIARY/FRANCHISE
     SEE RTSVC - TRAFFIC RESTRICTION EXISTS

>RTSVC

RP/JAXBA080F/
 * AMADEUS FLIGHT INFO *
   BA1951  Y  JAXMIA    ER4           0
COMMERCIAL DUPLICATE - OPERATED BY
ENVOY AIR AS AMERICAN EAGLE FOR AMERICAN AIRLINES
AIRCRAFT OWNER ENVOY AIR
Q/ INTL ONLINE CONNECTING OR STOPOVR TRAFFIC ONLY
OPERATIONAL LEG AA 3358
  9/ NON-SMOKING
When an Amadeus agent books a codeshare flight with traffic restrictions, they'll get the prompt to SEE RTSVC. Checking RTSVC displays that these flights are valid for INTL ONLINE CONNECTING OR STOPOVR TRAFFIC ONLY, meaning they may be booked with or without connections - as long as there is an international BA coded flight into or out of the country (doesn't have to be both). With non-RTW fares, the codeshares work up until the fare break point, as BA don't have fares filed for US domestic legs. Since the RTW is a through fare, there is no break point, so there isn't anything I can think of that would prevent you using BA flight numbers up until the point that one doesn't exist, meaning until you need to book AA because there is no BA code (or availability on the BA code), all flights up until then can be BA. Once you have to switch to AA, you break the online connection/stopover traffic thread, and all subsequent flights would need to be on the AA code or codeshare of the airline you use to leave N America, if those codeshares exist/are more favourable.

Whew.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
So as long as the chain of online code-shares is unbroken, conceivably (though very difficult in practice), could one daisy-chain together a RTW that used exclusively AA flights and AA codeshares for (nearly) the entire route. For example:

CPT-LHR (AA operated by BA)
LHR-HEL (AA operated by AY)
HEL-CDG (AA operated by AY)
CDG-KUL (AA operated by MH)
KUL-BKK (AA operated by MH)
BKK-HKG (AA operated by CX)
HKG-CGK (AA operated by CX)
CGK-NRT (AA operated by JL)
NRT-ORD (AA operated by JL)
ORD-DOH (AA operated by QR)
DOH-NBO (QR operated by QR - though I'd thought this codeshare also once existed)
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by checkerboard
So as long as the chain of online code-shares is unbroken, conceivably (though very difficult in practice), could one daisy-chain together a RTW that used exclusively AA flights and AA codeshares for (nearly) the entire route.
Possibly, although whether stopovers are permitted depends on the codeshare agreement. Typically, BA codes on flights operated by AA or QF don't have to be connecting - you can have your intl BA flight into the AA/QF gateway, stop, then take a BA coded flight on AA/QF to a domestic point. So yes, if a BA coded 'daisy-chain' is possible, you could probably make it work.

OTOH, AA codes operated by BA usually have to connect to the intl AA flight. Which means no stopovers. Which would mean no min stay when needed for a RTW fare.

I don't know why AA doesn't tend to allow stops but BA codes do, but IME that's what I've seen.

(I like your use of 'daisy-chain' - best I could think of was 'thread')
Old Jan 23, 2016, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

JAXBA: Thank you for your very helpful post. If I understand correctly, the relevant portions of my AONE4 would be as follows:

LHR-MIA on BA
MIA-PHX on AA (BA code share)
PHX-ANC on AA (code share non-existent)
ANC-PHX on AA (code share non-existent)
PHX-ORD on AA (BA code share exists, but not "legal")
ORD-SAN on AA (BA code share exists, but not "legal")
SAN-ORD on AA (BA code share exists, but not "legal")
ORD-HKG on CX (AA code share)
HKG-JNB on CX (JL code share)
JNB-CPT on Comair (BA)

Am I correct in believing that, if I dumped the ANC-PHX-ANC legs and used them for a couple of Asian legs later in the itinerary, PHX-ORD-SAN-ORD would be allowed as BA code shares?

In the past I've had an AA flight issued a BA code share, and then AA have changed their schedule and the BA code share has automatically been changed to an AA numbered flight. What would happen to subsequent BA code shares on the same ticket? Would they be affected assuming the ticket has already been issued?

Last edited by Full Score; Jan 23, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Full Score
Am I correct in believing that, if I dumped the ANC-PHX-ANC legs and used them for a couple of Asian legs later in the itinerary, PHX-ORD-SAN-ORD would be allowed as BA code shares?
That should do it.

In the past I've had an AA flight issued a BA code share, and then AA have changed their schedule and the BA code share has automatically been changed to an AA numbered flight. What would happen to subsequent BA code shares on the same ticket? Would they be affected assuming the ticket has already been issued?
Shouldn't be affected, but I imagine if you tried to make voluntary changes to segments after the schedule change, you'd probably be rebooked to the AA code by default.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 4:18 am

I’m a Florida-based flyer trying to find a way to meet the minimum of 4 BA flights per year for BA Silver. I’d like to avoid flying to Europe. Based on this thread I checked to see if BA would sell me a ticket from the US to Canada or anywhere in Central/South America. I confirmed BA had a codeshare flight available on the routes I checked. Appears the restriction isn’t limited to just intra-US flights, but also applies to codeshares in the Western Hemisphere without a connecting flight from Europe. Am I missing anything? Sounds like I might have to fly to Europe one weekend…
Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
I’m a Florida-based flyer trying to find a way to meet the minimum of 4 BA flights per year for BA Silver. I’d like to avoid flying to Europe. Based on this thread I checked to see if BA would sell me a ticket from the US to Canada or anywhere in Central/South America. I confirmed BA had a codeshare flight available on the routes I checked. Appears the restriction isn’t limited to just intra-US flights, but also applies to codeshares in the Western Hemisphere without a connecting flight from Europe. Am I missing anything? Sounds like I might have to fly to Europe one weekend…
Sounds like you aren't looking at purchasing a RTW ticket but are merely looking for standalone BA codeshare flights in the US. I don't believe your search will be successful as BA codeshares within the US have typically required a BA transatlantic flight. Other than some BA flights between islands in the Caribbean you will probably have to do a transatlantic.
You may want to look at these threads in the BA forum that are more relevant to your query:
British Airways silver - the 4 eligible flights?
I Need 2 eligible flights to retain silver!
Does BA operate any 5th freedom routes?
BA "Eligible" Flights out of NYC
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Sounds like you aren't looking at purchasing a RTW ticket but are merely looking for standalone BA codeshare flights in the US
And for that reason posts 10 & 11 should be cut off and sent to BA forum.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:17 am

My apologies. I found this thread via search and I thought I was in the BA forum when I posted. I’ve found the info I needed over there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.