Wiki Posts
Search

Does BA operate any 5th freedom routes?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Does BA operate any 5th freedom routes?

I have many tier points from flying OW airlines, but no BA flights.
Does BA operate any 5th freedom flights in Asia or North America that may be useful for me to actually fly, and
at the same time gain status?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
SIN-SYD.

Several around the Carribean.

A couple in the Middle East I think.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
SIN - SYD

ANU - SKB
ANU - TAB
ANU - PLS

UVF - GND
UVF - POS

NAS-GCM

Stupid forum doesn't like capital letters.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
Simplest way to get 4 BA flights from Asia is to book SIN - SYD - Other AUS/NZ city, on BA15/16 with BA codeshares for the QF domestic flights.

we did just that for our Christmas holiday in Perth (which netted each of us 560tps and our 4 BA segments!)!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you. It looks like a Carribean vacation in the near future.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Does BA operate any 5th freedom flights in Asia or North America that may be useful for me to actually fly, and
I may be wrong on this but IIRC a fifth freedom flight is suboptimal in terms of TP as the system considers it as one flight rather than two separate flights. E.g. Rather than getting 300 TP for LHR-SIN and SIN-SYD you get 240 TP for LHR-SYD.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I may be wrong on this but IIRC a fifth freedom flight is suboptimal in terms of TP as the system considers it as one flight rather than two separate flights. E.g. Rather than getting 300 TP for LHR-SIN and SIN-SYD you get 240 TP for LHR-SYD.
If you fly LHR-SYD direct, you're not using the fifth freedom element. The SIN-SYD-SIN flights are the fifth freedom part of this, and that I think is what people are suggesting.

So if you fly LHR-SIN on BA11, SIN-SYD on BA15, SYD-SIN on BA16 and SIN-LHR on BA12, you are (a) making the most of the fifth freedom elements of the operation; (b) getting all four eligible flights in one trip; and (c) improving your total TP earning on the trip. Although I suspect only the geekiest of us would regard that as a triple, rather than double, win.
ceej123 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:18 am

I have many tier points from flying OW airlines, but no BA flights.
You can also fly IB or BA codeshares for the same result of you just need 4 qualifying flights.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
I looked into the Caribbean flights in the past to do this, and the timings made it complex. It's almost easier to do a run to the UK + a domestic/euro to get your four.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by kellytoronto
I looked into the Caribbean flights in the past to do this, and the timings made it complex. It's almost easier to do a run to the UK + a domestic/euro to get your four.
and these also tend to be expensive bought with cash, but usually very good deals when booked with Avios

Last edited by mec72; Jan 18, 2018 at 8:50 am Reason: fixed typo
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rapidex
You can also fly IB or BA codeshares for the same result of you just need 4 qualifying flights.
Just so that there's no ambiguity about this: You can also fly IB in the sense of flights that are both marketed and operated by IB; and you can also fly any BA-coded flight operated by someone else. However, an IB code on a flight operated by someone other than BA or IB will not count.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Just so that there's no ambiguity about this: You can also fly IB in the sense of flights that are both marketed and operated by IB; and you can also fly any BA-coded flight operated by someone else. However, an IB code on a flight operated by someone other than BA or IB will not count.
Yes, I"m clear on the rules. Just being based in Canada, with frequent flights to and within Asia, I was looking for an easy way to pick up the required segments.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... with frequent flights to and within Asia, I was looking for an easy way to pick up the required segments.
In that case, it's possible that you might find something in this thread which would interest you, although I think it has to come with the caution that as codesharing arrangements can come and go, the information may go out-of-date more quickly than in relation to mainline flights: 4 BA segments... for those based in Asia
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
If, for arguments sake, I booked to LGW-UVF on reward availability, then UVF-GND as a Reward Flight Saver, would it be possible to check baggage through to GND from LGW?

(Looking at this as a potential plan B if F/J availability exists to/from UVF, but not to GND - it seems that there is often plenty of WTP availability as RFS between UVF and GND)
Old Nov 1, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
If, for arguments sake, I booked to LGW-UVF on reward availability, then UVF-GND as a Reward Flight Saver, would it be possible to check baggage through to GND from LGW?

(Looking at this as a potential plan B if F/J availability exists to/from UVF, but not to GND - it seems that there is often plenty of WTP availability as RFS between UVF and GND)
No.
You'll get more information on the matter by looking at the dedicated thread

BA no longer through checking baggage on separate tickets
orbitmic and FamilyOf6 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.