Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep
I don't believe this to be true. Maybe @Calchas or others here could confirm, but my understanbding is that open-dating is possible, but, for some reason, airlines don't like to do it.
That is correct, open sectors/undated coupons are certainly possible on e-tickets.

Not all CRSes are able to handle it and not every TA can do it. Some airlines prohibit it (e.g., VY). Most cheaper fares disallow open sectors in the Reservations category.

But there is no restriction on open sectors purely because it is an e-ticket.

----

Edit: I should add, with electronic coupons (unlike paper coupons), you cannot leave the carrier as Open or as YY. See section 2.22.6.4 in the ticketing handbook: "For electronic tickets, a carrier code other than YY must be specified for each coupon, even if a specific flight is not booked."

Last edited by Calchas; Nov 18, 2017 at 11:48 am
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:28 pm

Hello all. Hopefully this is an appropriate place for my newbie question. I'm sure it's been answered a hundred times, but this forum is probably the largest I've ever seen... and navigating it isn't proving easy!

I have a number of journeys planned next year (mostly short haul, a couple long haul) and I'm wondering if there's a reasonable rule of thumb for how long I should wait before booking the tickets. I appreciate that this is a "how long is a piece of string" question. But more than anything I'm just after general guidelines. I'm guessing that if a route appears in a sale then it's generally a good idea to go for it. If it helps, the first of my un-booked flights is in March, and I'm probably looking at 1 per month from there until the end of the year.

I saw in another post that someone suggested using expert flyer to make sure availability doesn't drop too low on particular flights. So I'm guessing that's an option (I've not used the tool before).

Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I asked about leaving dates open because of the language at the Oneworld site:
  1. All destinations you wish to travel to must be stated at time of purchase, before departure from country of origin. You must receive your ticket for your first flight between Continental Zones (and any preceding local flights) prior to departure.
  2. Continental Zones include: TC1 The Americas TC2 Europe, Middle East, Africa TC3 Asia, South West Pacific.
This seems to suggest, in my case, I only need to have flights from TC2 to my first destination in TC1. I suppose it doesn't really matter as I'll need to call for the remaining segments either to change or select flights.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:20 am
R2

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Date and carrier changes (MH>CX) shouldn't attract the $125 fee but they might incur "service" fees depending on who's doing the changing.
IME there is also the possibility / risk of the new carrier charging a higher fuel or other surcharge...e.g. CX charges a fuel surcharge on tickets issued or originating outside HK which might not be the case for MH. A recent experience, I had a LHR-HEL segment on a DONE and wanted to change from a BA flight to an AY flight...I was told by BA (the ticketing carrier) that they can do the change but AY surcharge on this route would be GBP 153(!) higher than that of BA's. I ended up on the AY flight with BA code which was fine but just shows how the whole surcharge thing remains the big non-transparent area for us paying passengers. I later asked AY if this was really the case and they said yes it might be so but refused the reveal details.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Amadeus can issue e-tickets with open segments but I believe Sabre cannot, although it can still display one with open segments issued in Amadeus.

Having open coupons on your e-ticket would depend on which airline/travel agent is issuing your RTW and the system they're based in.
Calchas likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA
same PNR, different airlines, which baggage policy?

Quick question:

I have a intra-Europe flight MAD-LHR on BA, onward flight to CMB on Sri Lankan. Same PNR

BA allows 1 bag for their flight
SL allows 2 bags for their flight

Will BA honor the 2 bags since the longer haul flight allows that much?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by soriano
Quick question:

I have a intra-Europe flight MAD-LHR on BA, onward flight to CMB on Sri Lankan. Same PNR

BA allows 1 bag for their flight
SL allows 2 bags for their flight

Will BA honor the 2 bags since the longer haul flight allows that much?
Last time when I connected from GVA-LHR on BA then LHR-HKG-TPE on separate tickets and same PNR, I had 2 pcs within 30kg, but BA was unwilling to give me the 30kg allowance CX gives, and had to pay for an extra piece.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
Hello all. Hopefully this is an appropriate place for my newbie question. I'm sure it's been answered a hundred times, but this forum is probably the largest I've ever seen... and navigating it isn't proving easy!

I have a number of journeys planned next year (mostly short haul, a couple long haul) and I'm wondering if there's a reasonable rule of thumb for how long I should wait before booking the tickets. I appreciate that this is a "how long is a piece of string" question. But more than anything I'm just after general guidelines. I'm guessing that if a route appears in a sale then it's generally a good idea to go for it. If it helps, the first of my un-booked flights is in March, and I'm probably looking at 1 per month from there until the end of the year.

I saw in another post that someone suggested using expert flyer to make sure availability doesn't drop too low on particular flights. So I'm guessing that's an option (I've not used the tool before).

Thanks.
I think this might have been lost a bit whilst waiting for a moderator to approve it. Anyone got any input?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:53 am

Lounge access on 2 leg journey with different cabin class

Firstly, apologies if this question is answered somewhere else. I assume there is a name for a journey with 2 flights in different cabin classes but I don't know what it is and this makes searching the forum a bit difficult.
I am planning on booking a flight from BKK to ATH via DXB using Qantas rewards points.
The flight is with Emirates.
I want to book one leg in business (preferably the 1st leg as it's longer) and the other in economy.
I have checked and there is availability for this.
I have 3 questions;
1. Is it possible to book the journey in the 2 different classes but on the one ticket? I can't find a way to do this using the Qantas website but maybe if I call? I don't want to wait on hold for an hour if the answer is going to be no.
2. If I book this as 2 separate journeys, will I be able to access the business class lounge in Dubai during my stopover (7 hours) if my flight to Dubai is in Business and my flight from Dubai to Athens is in Economy?
3. If I book it as 2 separate tickets, is there likely to be any issue with having my luggage booked all the way through to Athens?
Side note: I'm not concerned about luggage allowance as my bag isn't that heavy.
I hope this makes sense... Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Spire Ambassador
Hi, I have a quick question that might seem silly, but I've never come across it. I'm a Oneworld Emerald flying with 4 other family members in coach, I realize we won't all get lounge access and that's fine, but will we be able to use the First class check-in and priority security and priority boarding benefits?

I wouldn't want to go ahead and leave my family to fend for themselves.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by strikerr
…will we be able to use the First class check-in and priority security and priority boarding benefits?
F class check-in should be fine.

Priority security, possibly not, especially at locations where you scan a boarding pass to open an automated gate such as LHR.

Priority boarding, probably okay.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:02 am

Hi, A quick question here,
I'm holding a oneWorld Reward J class ticket
as there is no availability for direct flight HKG-LHR (both BA & CX), I need to take a connecting flight HKG-ICN-LHR (CX, BA)
but there is 4 hours transfer time in ICN

I wonder if I could access the lounge in ICN for oneworld during transit? If so, would I get the lounge access pass in HKG airport when checking in?

Thanks a million
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by augustinehk
Hi, A quick question here,
I'm holding a oneWorld Reward J class ticket
as there is no availability for direct flight HKG-LHR (both BA & CX), I need to take a connecting flight HKG-ICN-LHR (CX, BA)
but there is 4 hours transfer time in ICN

I wonder if I could access the lounge in ICN for oneworld during transit? If so, would I get the lounge access pass in HKG airport when checking in?

Thanks a million
Yes you will have access
Because you are travelling in Business class
Both in HKG (one of the CX business lounges) and in ICN (whatever lounge BA uses there). Generally you just show your boarding pass to gain access.
You will only be able to access other OW lounges if you have at least OW Sapphire status
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by pandaperth
You will only be able to access other OW lounges if you have at least OW Sapphire status
I thought Business class fare on OW airline is eligible to go into any OW Lounge?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I thought Business class fare on OW airline is eligible to go into any OW Lounge?
It is. Cabin class of flight, or status are enough to get into a oneworld lounge. Only exceptions are AA members in North American lounges, QR lounges at DOH and LHR and contracted 3rd party lounges.
To access a oneworld business class lounge, you need to be traveling in business class (or higher) or have Sapphire status (or higher).
Traveling business class on BA from ICN will give you access to 2 lounges, the CX lounge (which is only open for limited hours meant to serve CX operated flights to HKG and TPE) and the BA contracted OZ lounge. (QR contracts use of another OZ lounge and AA, JL and MH contract use of a KE lounge, but those lounges can't be accessed when using a BA flight as OZ/KE are not members of oneworld)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.