Wiki Posts
Search

Australian automatic speed tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Australian automatic speed tickets

I got three letters from Australia looking very formal, sent to my company address with my name on top. Since I recently visited Australia and left my opinions at some hotels I presumed that this was some kind of replies.

But no - I got THREE speeding tickets from Victoria Police. AUD$128 for driving 121km/h on 110km/h road was pretty steep! The caught me with these automatic radar/camera stations around Melbourne.

Since it was a rental car they got my address from AVIS (i live in Sweden).

My questions:

- I can send AUD$11 per ticket to the police to get a copy of the pictures with me in the car, but only using check as payment. I dont use checks. Anyone in Australia that could send checks and I could transfer money using Paypal to you. (would be fun to have those copies)

- How can they prove that I am the one in the car, what would happen I claim that its someone else driving?

Or should I just send them the money to save time and problems?
Old Jun 24, 2005, 4:43 pm

Programs: QF Plat & Lifetime Gold, Velocity Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
- How can they prove that I am the one in the car, what would happen I claim that its someone else driving?

Or should I just send them the money to save time and problems?
In order to convince them you would need to provide a statutory declaration (like a sworn affidavit) stating you were not the driver.

Doing so, and knowing you were the driver, would be like committing perjury - not a good idea.

Although there have been some infamous cases of incorrect speeds using these devices I believe, in general, they're accurate.

If you did the crime, pay the fine and learn from the experience.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:16 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You'll be seeing a charge by Avis to your credit card soon as well -- their fee for providing the police with your address (typically AUD 50-100 per inquiry, so up to AUD 300 for the 3 tickets). No way around that charge, it is in the fine print of your rental contract. The tickets you can contest, and some percentage are dropped immediately when you request proof (probably for some the film is invalid, has been misprocessed, lost, etc.). However it is generally well organized and you can expect to have to pay if they do find the film. All of the speed cameras are well marked (visible to the driver) but of course you didn't know to look for them. A past thread indicated that they will issue citations for very minor speed infractions (something like 3 km/hr leeway).
Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Ok - i will pay the tickets over the internet using my creditcard. Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.