Wiki Posts
Search

SYD - SFO Flight Connections

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Air Chairmans
SYD - SFO Flight Connections

Not exactly sure if this is the correct place but...

Flying Virgin Blue into Sydney Domestic Terminal on Sat, July 16. Landing 11:35.

Flying UA 870 from SYD International Terminal to SFO. Departure 1:45.

Is this enough time to get bags, take bus to international terminal, check in for SYD-SFO flight?

Thanks in advance...
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:29 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I'm going to move this to the Sydney forum where it seems more apt.

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Silver
As long as Virgin Blue has the interline baggage agreement, which they seem to have, with UA, you don't need to claim your baggage at SYD. Your baggage will be checked thru SFO. I've been to SYD only once so far, that was last month and still miss it, I can't assure what I say, however 2:10 doesn't sound bad. It might be a bit tight, but I think you won't lose your connecting flight.

To moderator, I guess this is an appropriate post in UA forum. Shouldn't have moved it because ozstamps and wimpysqueak could give a good answer.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:56 am
Original Poster

called virgin blue. they told me i had to talk to United.

so i called United. they do not have an interline agreement with virgin blue so i must pick up bags and recheck.

you miss SYD airport? i've flown in and out only twice, nice airport, but not sure i miss it.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:06 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
I'm trying to stop myself commenting on connecting times, because I am ridiculously conservative. For example, I would not even consider a QF domestic to QF international connection in SYD of under two hours, but I know it's easy to do in way under that.

I'm sure other more rational people than me will be along soon, and I suspect they will say that you have plenty of time.

Having said that, you won't be able to take the QF bus over to international. You will have to take the train.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 6:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It should be okay but if you're nervous/paranoid take an earlier Virgin Blue flight. When are the australian school holidays? If they start or end around this date then may be a problem (I have taken over 2 hours to connect on the first/last weekend of holidays).

No interline agreement so need to collect bags from Virgin Blue. A long walk to the train station for A$4 ride to international, or else take a taxi (probably some minimum fee like A$15 or 20). As not flying QF cannot take the inter-terminal bus. Train runs about every 10 minutes and takes 2 minutes.

Long walk from the train station at international to the UA check in desks. Hopefully you have status or flying business/first so check-in wont take too long. Then through immigration. A bit hit or miss as to whether long queues or not. If start/end of holidays it will be very busy. Could take 45 minutes to get through.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by meggles
you miss SYD airport? i've flown in and out only twice, nice airport, but not sure i miss it.

Do I miss SYD airport? Hell, not at all. My first impression of the airport was terrible. Walked into a restroom upon arrival. Restroom was so nasty with vomits. I meant that I miss Sydney and Australia.

Kiwi Flyer, doesn't SYD have inter-terminal shuttle bus? If it doesn't, it looks like riding "City Rail" is the best option for meggles.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There's a free qantas bus but without a QF flight in there they wont let you take it (YMMV so you could try).
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
Originally Posted by N227UA
Kiwi Flyer, doesn't SYD have inter-terminal shuttle bus? If it doesn't, it looks like riding "City Rail" is the best option for meggles.
There is a bus, as well as the train or taxi - all of which cost $$$ of course.

Always try to avoid flying DJ to connect to international. I always have UA book me on QF. Sometimes I can even get a QF flight BNE-SYD that is a domestic portion of an international flight (ef. QF25/26) - which means no terminal change in SYD, just a long walk from one side of Intl to the other, then check-in at the RCC.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by BrisbanePE
There is a bus, as well as the train or taxi - all of which cost $$$ of course.

How come there is no free inter-terminal shuttle bus?
Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:46 am
Original Poster

good point about the school holiday bit. in NSW & VIC the kiddies go back july 18th. i travel july 16th. could bit a bit busy- but flying business. it'd be nice if UA had a way to checkin online with paper tickets. oh well.

so the consenses here is taxi?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:13 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
I'd be inclined to take the train rather than a taxi. Then again, I dislike taxis in general.

There can be a queue for taxis and the trip on public roads will take quite some time.

Trains are approx every 20 minutes and it is a short ride to international.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.