Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australian Government links
AU Govt (03 Jul 2022)-->All COVID-19 border restrictions to be lifted

The AU federal and state govt web sites are the *only* source of information.
Links smartraveller.gov.au
Update to new measures for return to Australia
COVID-19: Re-entry and quarantine measures

In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. Can change at short notice.

AU (Federal) Minister of Health
AU Department of Health Australian National Cabinet press releases
Print Wikipost

Australia’s response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Chasing the Plane
Hi, I’m a UK resident looking to visit the outlaws in Sydney in Oct-Nov. There are various routings available but, in the interests of optimising BA TPs, one is from Singapore via Perth rather than going direct to Sydney. I’ve seen mention being made of Australia opening up to visitors but I also see that Western Australia requires international travellers to go through mandatory 7 days quarantine on arrival. Is that still the current position or have the entry rules been relaxed recently and the websites just not caught up? While the TPs would get me to gold, it’s not worth biting a huge chunk out of our trip.

Any useful links to check or recent experience would be really appreciated.

Hi,

From here

https://www.wa.gov.au/government/cov...ational-travel

It looks like that is the current position. WA is stricter than the rest of Australia. However it is probably hard to tell what the situation will be in nine months time at travelling time ( hopefully the restrictions would be relaxed by then) I would probably avoid WA when booking currently.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi, I’m a UK resident looking to visit the outlaws in Sydney in Oct-Nov. There are various routings available but, in the interests of optimising BA TPs, one is from Singapore via Perth rather than going direct to Sydney. I’ve seen mention being made of Australia opening up to visitors but I also see that Western Australia requires international travellers to go through mandatory 7 days quarantine on arrival. Is that still the current position or have the entry rules been relaxed recently and the websites just not caught up? While the TPs would get me to gold, it’s not worth biting a huge chunk out of our trip.

AU, except for WA, opened up to world from 21 Feb 2022. WA will follow
By Oct-Nov 2022 would hope less restrictions for all. But WA is different. I would not take that risk

off topic
As BA does not fly SIN to PER, guessing would be QF (if wanting BA TP's). Going via MEL or BNE (on QF) would also get some more TP's
Before CV19 some people, chasing TP's, used to change BA aircraft-flight number in SIN and not the same flight LHR-(SIN)-SYD.
Looked at QR or JAL?
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LHR-SIN...D&MS=wls&DU=mi

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 22, 2022 at 1:44 pm Reason: Was a seperate thread. Removed link to this thread
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum

You should be fine. It's unlikely that once WA reopens its border (scheduled for March 3) it will shut it again. Of course it could happen, but I'd be very, very surprised if it did.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA, United, Virgin Atlantic, Enrich
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AU, except for WA, opened up to world from 21 Feb 2022. WA will follow
By Oct-Nov 2022 would hope less restrictions for all. But WA is different. I would not take that risk

off topic
As BA does not fly SIN to PER, guessing would be QF (if wanting BA TP's). Going via MEL or BNE (on QF) would also get some more TP's
Before CV19 some people, chasing TP's, used to change BA aircraft-flight number in SIN and not the same flight LHR-(SIN)-SYD.
Looked at QR or JAL?
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
Thanks for the idea about the BA SIN "shuffle" which I've done in the past. QR and JAL are options too, but I'm struggling to get more than the two long legs with either - I need to look more closely into them. The one which has caught my eye is the codeshare with Emirates from EU which, via DXB & SIN to SYD would give 840 TPs return, but I can add in PER too which would bring a further 280 TPs. That total is 5 points short of BA gold for this trip alone (until the end of Dec) which is ssssoooo tempting!
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

off topic

Thanks for the idea about the BA SIN "shuffle" which I've done in the past. QR and JAL are options too, but I'm struggling to get more than the two long legs with either - I need to look more closely into them. The one which has caught my eye is the codeshare with Emirates from EU which, via DXB & SIN to SYD would give 840 TPs return, but I can add in PER too which would bring a further 280 TPs. That total is 5 points short of BA gold for this trip alone (until the end of Dec) which is ssssoooo tempting!
Could you do a few short/cheap flights in AU to get some BAEC TP's?.
EK (QF codeshare) flys into many AU international airports (more international airports than QF does). e.g. ADL
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: BA, United, Virgin Atlantic, Enrich
off topic

Could you do a few short/cheap flights in AU to get some BAEC TP's?.
EK (QF codeshare) flys into many AU international airports (more international airports than QF does). e.g. ADL
That could be a fall-back plan. My thinking at the moment is to avoid Perth/WA on the way out, but come back via there (so the whole trip will be 7x140TP legs) in order to mitigate the quarantine risk. Another option is for an intra-EU trip or two to make up the shortfall. Going for BA Gold this year, given the reduced thresholds, is too good an opportunity to pass up.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Figure I may as well ask here, does anyone have a recommended place to get a pre-departure covid test in Sydney? I'd prefer the CBD or Eastern Suburbs. There's one out at SYD but I'd rather avoid having to drive out there if possible.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:16 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bensyd
Figure I may as well ask here, does anyone have a recommended place to get a pre-departure covid test in Sydney? I'd prefer the CBD or Eastern Suburbs. There's one out at SYD but I'd rather avoid having to drive out there if possible.
Maybe try AFF, as it’s more Oz-centric.
bensyd likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
If you look at the histopath website it shows you all the places, in the city there’s one across the road from the lord Nelson.
bensyd and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:55 pm
Original Member

Any Experience /Trip Report after Australia Reopening

We are flying LAX/ Melbourne at the end of April, then Returning Sydney/Vancouver/Portland

Any one have experience to report on procedures in either direction?
I'm wanting to be prepared.........

Have no Idea what to expect.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marvella
We are flying LAX/ Melbourne at the end of April, then Returning Sydney/Vancouver/Portland

Any one have experience to report on procedures in either direction?
I'm wanting to be prepared.........
Have no Idea what to expect.
I flew into MEL last week (AU passport). End of April may be different
Look here:- https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
Depending on your passport will need to get an ETA (via a phone app). https://www.eta.homeaffairs.gov.au/ETAS3/etas or visa
Need to be fully vaccinated, with proof. Do the PCR/RAT test and the complete the DPD----> https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/d...er-declaration
Crossing the border (immigration-customs-biosecurity) was the same as pre CV19: No CV19 checks
All the documentation was checked before boarding. At check-in the agent told me people get denied boarding every flight due to document failures/no tests/no visa.

Going out you need to comply with Canadian/ USA requirements.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 9, 2022 at 11:14 pm
Old Mar 13, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Transiting through SYD beginning of April?

Looking at transiting SYD from AKL on way to LAX on separate tickets.
Most likely will need a TRANSIT VISA, as I probably have to clear customs for bag retrieval.
Does this sound doable on or around April 10?
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
Looking at transiting SYD from AKL on way to LAX on separate tickets.
Most likely will need a TRANSIT VISA, as I probably have to clear customs for bag retrieval.
Does this sound doable on or around April 10?
On separate tickets not really transiting. Just 1 ticket (AKL-SYD) that ends at SYD and another (SYD-LAX) that starts at SYD.
What airlines? If in the same alliance a possibility bags could be interlined.
Depending on passport, my guess is that you will need to meet the full requirements for enter into AU. Testing and DPD (as wiki)
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/coming-australia

Edit
Look at post1299 A similar situation, but ~2 months ago. Requirements have changed.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 13, 2022 at 9:07 pm
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
On separate tickets not really transiting. Just 1 ticket (AKL-SYD) that ends at SYD and another (SYD-LAX) that starts at SYD.
What airlines? If in the same alliance a possibility bags could be interlined.
Depending on passport, my guess is that you will need to meet the full requirements for enter into AU. Testing and DPD (as wiki)
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/coming-australia

Edit
Look at post1299 A similar situation, but ~2 months ago. Requirements have changed.
Thanks.
Yeah, I am not quite understanding that site, as it doesn't seem to spell out transit very well.
It's AKL-SYD with probably NZ and SYD-LAX with UA, so both *A.
Have US passport and NZ passport, but the NZ passport doesn't seem to do much in this case, unless I was after a 72 hour transit Visa.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
Yeah, I am not quite understanding that site, as it doesn't seem to spell out transit very well.
It's AKL-SYD with probably NZ and SYD-LAX with UA, so both *A.
Have US passport and NZ passport, but the NZ passport doesn't seem to do much in this case, unless I was after a 72 hour transit Visa.
NZ passport will get you entry to AU. No formal visa, but is a 444 visa in the background if meet the criteria (No criminal record, etc) 4 hrs or 4 months or 4 ever:- no difference
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/ente...aland-citizens (updated 27 Feb 2022)
Enter and leave AU on your NZ passport (self service kiosks). Present your USA passport to UA (as proof can enter USA)

IIRC Air NZ does not interline on separate tickets. So a visit to AU landside may be needed to drop bags & check in
narvik and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.