Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Beware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the New Zealand government web site (govt.nz) issues a visa/NZeTA. These other scam-deceptive web sites just send your data to the NZ Govt web site. Some of these sites may have a disclaimer in the fine print.

NZ Government link ---> Check if you need a visitor visa or an NZeTA
NZ Government link ---> Request an NZeTA {as at 05 Aug 2019} Please note that travellers from visa waiver or transit visa waiver countries who are in transit through New Zealand are required to hold an NZeTA.
  • From 1 October 2019, if you are from a visa waiver country you must request an NZeTA before you travel. It costs NZD$9 on our free app, or NZD$12 if completed online.
  • You must also pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). The IVL costs NZD $35 and is paid at the same time as the NZeTA.
NZ Government link --->NZ Traveller Declaration On line or phone app. An option to the paper arrival form.

NZ Government web sites. Note: Check for yourself. The requirements and links may change
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/visitor-visa
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...out-visa/nzeta
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sa/visa-waiver
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sit-passengers Transit passengers

Refer to post 23 below

Wikipedia --> Visa policy of New Zealand This may be accurate nor does it replace official NZ Government information

Other related FT threads
Print Wikipost

NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by docbert
Presuming you mean a non-US/Canadian ABTC (and one endorsed for NZ), then I'd be fairly sure the answer is no although I can't see that actually stated anywhere. ABTC implies pre-approval to enter the country, which is what NZeTA gives.

That said, I'm going to presume that if you don't have an NZeTA you're not going to be able to use the eGates(*) at NZ airports as I would expect them to reject you for not having one, and they won't be able to understand that you have an ABTC instead. So in the interest of expediency it might still be worth getting one.

(* what do the Kiwi's have again the letter "e"? Don't they realize it has a capital version too? NZeTA, eGate)
Thanks.

I can’t be sure because NZ immigration seems not allowing ABTC used for non-business purpose. How can they tell?

Wonder whether there is experience of denied entry using ABTC for non-business purpose.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Did some further digging and came across this page - https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...and/paying-ivl which states that

You do not pay an IVL if you:
* hold a Business Visitor Visa or APEC business travel card.

That's specifically referring to the "International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy" rather than the NZeTA as such, but the two seem to be tied together so I suspect having a waiver for the IVL means a waiver for the NZeTA as well.

Originally Posted by freed0m
I can’t be sure because NZ immigration seems not allowing ABTC used for non-business purpose. How can they tell?

Wonder whether there is experience of denied entry using ABTC for non-business purpose.
Their website specifically states that with a ABTC "you can come to New Zealand to carry out trade and investment activities. [...] While you’re here, you can enjoy New Zealand’s scenery, adventure, culture and friendly people" which would imply that officially you need to be there for business. Whether they would actually bother enforcing that would be a different thing... As for how they can tell, all arriving passengers need to fill in an arrival card, and one of the questions is what you're there for, with "business" being one of the options. Of course, you could always just tick that even if you weren't there for business, but generally lying to immigration isn't something I recommend...
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: Alaska
Did some further digging and came across this page - https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...and/paying-ivl which states that

You do not pay an IVL if you:
* hold a Business Visitor Visa or APEC business travel card.

That's specifically referring to the "International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy" rather than the NZeTA as such, but the two seem to be tied together so I suspect having a waiver for the IVL means a waiver for the NZeTA as well.

Their website specifically states that with a ABTC "you can come to New Zealand to carry out trade and investment activities. [...] While you’re here, you can enjoy New Zealand’s scenery, adventure, culture and friendly people" which would imply that officially you need to be there for business. Whether they would actually bother enforcing that would be a different thing... As for how they can tell, all arriving passengers need to fill in an arrival card, and one of the questions is what you're there for, with "business" being one of the options. Of course, you could always just tick that even if you weren't there for business, but generally lying to immigration isn't something I recommend...

Thanks for digging up more information.

I will transit in NZ coming November with tickets from two different airlines so I may have to enter NZ. Hard to justify for business purpose when I leave in a few hours.

Most APEC countries allow ABTC use for non-business purpose officially, except NZ and Russia....
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Nayef
Nope. That's a link to the online portal for regular visas.

This is the link for NZeTA's web page and it still shows "Register for NZeTA update."
Looks like they're available now. The button says, "REQUEST AN NZETA.'

https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:07 pm

And here are the questions they asked:
Select your nationality as shown on the passport you will be travelling on
Select the issuing country as shown on your passport
Enter your passport number exactly as it appears on your passport
Select the expiry date as shown on your passport

Traveller details

Enter your family/last name(s) as shown on your passport
Enter your given name(s) including your middle name as shown on your passport
Have you ever been known by a different name?
Select your gender as shown on your passport
Select your date of birth as shown on your passport
Enter your place of birth
Select your country of birth
Enter your National Identity Number, if you have one
Enter a valid email address
Confirm email address
Are you an Australian permanent resident?
Will you be staying in New Zealand? (Yes for visiting NZ or No for just transiting.)

Eligibility questions

Will you be travelling to New Zealand for medical consultation or treatment?
Have you ever been deported, removed or excluded from another country (not New Zealand)?
Are you currently prohibited from entering New Zealand following deportation from New Zealand in the past?
Have you ever been convicted of any offence (in any country)?
Their questions don't seem to be as scrutinizing as the Canadian eTA.
:D! likes this.

Last edited by Nayef; Aug 5, 2019 at 7:13 am Reason: fixed spelling error
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Have you ever been deported, removed or excluded from another country (not New Zealand)?
Answering "Yes" trigger an immediate "You are not eligible for an NZeTA. Apply for a Visitor Visa."

Have you ever been convicted of any offence (in any country)?
Yes to this one brings up 2 new questions :
Have you ever been convicted of an offence for which you were sentenced to five years or more imprisonment?
In the last 10 years have you been convicted of an offence for which you were sentenced to a prison term of 12 months or more?

Answering yes to either of those gives the same Not Eligible message as above.

Originally Posted by freed0m
I will transit in NZ coming November with tickets from two different airlines so I may have to enter NZ. Hard to justify for business purpose when I leave in a few hours.

Answering "no" to the "Staying in NZ" question gives :

If you choose this option your NZeTA will be valid for transit only. If you plan to leave the airport and enter New Zealand, you must indicate this on your NZeTA request and pay the International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). To change your answer, select 'Yes'.
"Leave the airport" seems to imply that even if you need to do a land-side transit (ie, to re-check bags) you'd be OK as you wouldn't be leaving the airport. That being the case the you'd only be up to the NZ$9/$12 fee, not the extra NZ$35 for the IVL.

For us Aussies it's even easier - if you pick Australia for the very first question, then you get :
You do not need an NZeTA if you are travelling on a New Zealand or Australian passport.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA PL, DL Gold, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Reading through this and the NZ mistake fare thread, I just want to confirm what I think is the case. For US Citizens, if you are simply transiting NZ and headed to AUS, you DO NOT need to secure any transit or other New Zealand visa (nothing to say of the AUS visa formalities).
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heatheresq
Reading through this and the NZ mistake fare thread, I just want to confirm what I think is the case. For US Citizens, if you are simply transiting NZ and headed to AUS, you DO NOT need to secure any transit or other New Zealand visa (nothing to say of the AUS visa formalities).
When you go the link with all your information what does it tell you?
Link---> https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/

Visa & NZeTA are not the same thing

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...out-visa/nzeta
You can
- Travel to New Zealand without first applying for a visa — if you are from a visa waiver country, a cruise ship passenger or a permanent resident of Australia.
-Pass through Auckland International Airport as a transit passenger on the way to or from Australia.
-Pass through Auckland International Airport as a transit passenger on the way to another country — if you are from a visa waiver or transit visa waiver country.
<snip>
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...untries/slider
Visa waiver countries and territories
List of visa waiver countries and territories
USA is in that list

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...country/slider

Transit visa waiver countries
Citizens of some countries do not have to apply for a visa before passing through New Zealand as a transit passenger but must request an NZeTA.

In transit through New Zealand
If you are passing through Auckland International Airport on your way to another country you do not have to apply for a visa if you are from a transit visa waiver country.

From 1 October, you must request an NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority) before you travel.

NZeTA
List of transit visa waiver countries
<snip>
USA is not in that list

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 5, 2019 at 10:27 pm
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Answering "Yes" trigger an immediate "You are not eligible for an NZeTA. Apply for a Visitor Visa."
<snip>
Answering "no" to the "Staying in NZ" question gives :
xxxxx

"Leave the airport" seems to imply that even if you need to do a land-side transit (ie, to re-check bags) you'd be OK as you wouldn't be leaving the airport. That being the case the you'd only be up to the NZ$9/$12 fee, not the extra NZ$35 for the IVL.
From Link --->https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...=residence-USA
Clicking on "In transit through Auckland international airport - evidence"

If you are from any other country, you can get an NZeTA if you are passing through Auckland International Airport as a transit passenger on your way to or from Australia.

Transit passengers must remain in the transit area at Auckland International Airport.

We use your passport to check your citizenship when you request your NZeTA.
My underline - color
So may not be that simple if going landside to check-in - bag drop

edit
Link----> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sit-passengers
<snip>
Travelling to or from Australia
Check your travel dates to find out whether you need a Transit Visa or an NZeTA.

In transit before 1 October 2019
If you are coming through New Zealand on your way to Australia you do not need a Transit Visa, even if you are a citizen of a country that must usually get a visa to transit New Zealand.

If you travel from Australia and through New Zealand as a transit passenger you must apply for a Transit Visa if you are not from a transit visa waiver country

In transit on or after 1 October 2019
From 1 October 2019 if you are in transit through New Zealand to or from Australia you must request an NZeTA before you leave for New Zealand.
- Information about NZeTA link

Travellers who are citizens of countries not on the list of transit visa waiver countries no longer need a Transit Visa.

Who must apply for a visa
You must apply for a Transit Visa before you travel if you are not:
  • from a transit visa waiver country
  • from a visa waiver country, or
  • an Australian permanent resident.
  • Transit Visa link

Who must request an NZeTA
If you are planning to pass through Auckland International Airport to another country on or after 1 October 2019 you must request an NZeTA before you travel if you:
  • hold a passport from a country on the list of transit visa waiver countries
  • are a citizen of a country on the list of visa waiver countries, or
  • hold a current Australian permanent resident visa that allows you to return to Australia from overseas.
<snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 7, 2019 at 4:54 pm Reason: added Transit visa link (not 100% clear)
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:12 pm

I think you still have to apply for an NZeTA even for transit if you're a US citizen (or a citizen of another visa-waiver country who's eligible for the authorization). I tried inputting info for a US citizen, and it still said "If you choose this option your NZeTA will be valid for transit only. If you plan to leave the airport and enter New Zealand, you must indicate this on your NZeTA request and pay the International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). To change your answer, select 'Yes'." whenever I chose transit only. I didn't see any stipulation about transiting onward to Australia.

Edit: seems like someone had it before me.

Last edited by Nayef; Aug 5, 2019 at 10:20 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
NZeTA apps are now being accepted and issued, though the expiration is still at 2 years even though they’re not needed until October.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:28 pm

I just applied and it took an hour and 40 minutes between submission and getting granted. They gave me 2 years, which is kind of funny given that my passport expires a few months before the NZeTA's expiration date. I thought it would end along with my passport expiration date.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:42 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Check my thinking: a visa exempt visitor entering New Zealand in September and leaving in October shouldn't require a NZeTA?

I'm just thinking there should be visa exempt visitors entering New Zealand as recent as last week who wouldn't have the opportunity to apply for NZeTA, but would have been given 90-day stays in New Zealand on arrival.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:53 am

As far as I know if you're visa exempt and enter NZ before Oct. 1, you should be good even if you're leaving after Oct. 1. I believe NZeTA only applies for those entering NZ on or after Oct. 1.
percysmith likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:22 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
As far as I know if you're visa exempt and enter NZ before Oct. 1, you should be good even if you're leaving after Oct. 1. I believe NZeTA only applies for those entering NZ on or after Oct. 1.
Thanks. CX says leave for New Zealand too https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ing-to-nz.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.