Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Beware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the New Zealand government web site (govt.nz) issues a visa/NZeTA. These other scam-deceptive web sites just send your data to the NZ Govt web site. Some of these sites may have a disclaimer in the fine print.

NZ Government link ---> Check if you need a visitor visa or an NZeTA
NZ Government link ---> Request an NZeTA {as at 05 Aug 2019} Please note that travellers from visa waiver or transit visa waiver countries who are in transit through New Zealand are required to hold an NZeTA.
  • From 1 October 2019, if you are from a visa waiver country you must request an NZeTA before you travel. It costs NZD$9 on our free app, or NZD$12 if completed online.
  • You must also pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). The IVL costs NZD $35 and is paid at the same time as the NZeTA.
NZ Government link --->NZ Traveller Declaration On line or phone app. An option to the paper arrival form.

NZ Government web sites. Note: Check for yourself. The requirements and links may change
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/visitor-visa
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...out-visa/nzeta
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sa/visa-waiver
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sit-passengers Transit passengers

Refer to post 23 below

Wikipedia --> Visa policy of New Zealand This may be accurate nor does it replace official NZ Government information

Other related FT threads
Print Wikipost

NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by henrus
Given this already gets captured when you enter the country, how is it any different when they ask for it before you come?
One requires effort on your part, one doesn't. Getting a visa photo is annoying, every country has different criteria.

I'm not concerned about privacy, I mean you kind of forfeit that if you travel to any foreign country for the most part. But NZ just got more expensive and more of a hassle now.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by majik
So they can mine more data from your device. Most folks will install the app to save themselves $3. For the app to work it will probably require multiple device permissions that again most folks will click on through to save $3. It's a disgrace really.

In fact the price difference could probably be challenged in court under accessibility guidelines that the NZ government itself has defined. What if you don't have access to or cannot use a mobile device? What if you need assitive technology to use the web? Tough, you pay an extra $3.
I can't see any Registrar in the country allowing a case to be lodged over $3.

The other 2 points about access/use or assistive technology are simply misleading IMO: they will be in play for someone regardless of whether they want to use *this* website or not. Those are general access issues, not specific to the INZ sites.

Seriously, so many of you upset over $3?! That's not even a decent coffee in NZ these days.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Seriously, so many of you upset over $3?! That's not even a decent coffee in NZ these days.
I'm not upset about the 3$

But there will now be an entrance fee of 44-47$ to visit NZ (for any non local/regional passport holder)

Free travel between countries has, in my opinion, always been important. Many countries have taken this away, squeezing the traveller's lemon out more and more. Visa-on-Arrival or ETA, tourist fees.. it just shows that countries are willing to grab as much money from anyone visiting as possible.

Guess what? I'll prefer to visit countries NOT doing so. It might not be the deciding factor (considering a flight to NZ will, at the very least, cost 20x of the entrance fee from Europe, and a night at even a cheap hotel will cost more) but the annoyance of it will definitely play a role into my personal future travel plans. Might be enough to change it towards a different country. Or might not.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
...Free travel between countries has, in my opinion, always been important. Many countries have taken this away, squeezing the traveller's lemon out more and more. Visa-on-Arrival or ETA, tourist fees.. it just shows that countries are willing to grab as much money from anyone visiting as possible.
In the region Australia has a Au$60 departure tax built into the air fare (hidden).
For my frequent Aust<---->NZ trips I pay, on average, taxes/fees of Au$113 for Au to NZ and NZ$53 for NZ to Au.

But in this case it is a money grab by the NZ Government. And going to cost a high % of the ETA/IVL fee to administer (more NZ government employees creating more work for themselves). The exemptions will take time to administer.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 26, 2019 at 4:13 pm
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by henrus
Given this already gets captured when you enter the country, how is it any different when they ask for it before you come?
Most likely it's the same concept behind the US ESTA, Canada eTA, and even the upcoming European version.

The idea is to reduce the number of people turned around at the border - which is a complex and expensive process. By doing pre-approvals they get the opportunity to allow most people without issue, do a more thorougher check on those that raise flags (without holding them at the border whilst they do it), and flag those that they want to avoid access to (or force through additional steps like a visa application) well before they arrive in the country.

The fact they are capturing various details on application rather than (or more likely, as well as) on entry isn't all that meaningful.

Originally Posted by majik
In fact the price difference could probably be challenged in court under accessibility guidelines that the NZ government itself has defined. What if you don't have access to or cannot use a mobile device? What if you need assitive technology to use the web? Tough, you pay an extra $3.
Do those guidelines apply to non-NZ citizens whilst on non-NZ soil?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Would be interested to know why using a web browser is more expensive than a mobile app?
And a process you may only have to complete once every two years hardly seems suited to downloading an app.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:21 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Question

Originally Posted by ps107
And a process you may only have to complete once every two years hardly seems suited to downloading an app.
I wonder if you can delete the app once your application is approved, as in will airlines want to see it on a phone (can you use an Android emulator??) or will it just be in the system like Australia. Can you use one device for multiple people?

Do infants need to apply too? I was hoping to not have to get my infant an Australian passport until he wants to live in Australia (as I believe he won't be a citizen until I apply for citizenship by descent, thus can use a British passport to go to Australia)
Old Jul 20, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More details now on NZ Government web site. Now open for NZeTA applications
Please note that travellers from visa waiver or transit visa waiver countries who are in transit through New Zealand are required to hold an NZeTA from 1 October 2019, even if New Zealand is not their final destination.

But expect will be many unhappy NZ visitors, without the new NZeTA's, trying to board flights that land/transit on/after 01 Oct

Note: Check for yourself. The requirements and links may change

Link--> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/visitor-visa
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sa/visa-waiver
<snip>
  • From 1 October 2019, if you are from a visa waiver country you must request an NZeTA before you travel. It costs NZD $9 on our free app, or NZD $12 if completed online.
  • You must also pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). The IVL costs NZD $35 and is paid at the same time as the NZeTA.
    <snip>
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...out-visa/nzeta
    You can
    • Travel to New Zealand without first applying for a visa — if you are from a visa waiver country, a cruise ship passenger or a permanent resident of Australia.
    • Pass through Auckland International Airport as a transit passenger on the way to or from Australia.
    • Pass through Auckland International Airport as a transit passenger on the way to another country — if you are from a visa waiver or transit visa waiver country.
    • Get someone to help you with your NZeTA request — you will need to tell them about your criminal conviction history and whether you are seeking medical treatment in New Zealand.
    • Visa waiver countries and territories ---> Link
    • Transit visa waiver countries --->Link
    • Arriving by cruise ship --->Link
    • Transit passengers --->Link
    Things to note
    • Australian citizens do not need an NZeTA.
    • Allow up to 72 hours for processing, but it could take as little as 10 minutes.
    • You may also have to pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). The IVL costs NZD $35 and is paid at the same time as the NZeTA.
    • From 1 October 2019, if you are from a visa waiver country you must hold an NZeTA before you travel.
    • An NZeTA request costs NZD $9 on our free app, or NZD $12 if completed online
    • Paying the International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy ---> Link
    Visa waiver countries and territories
    Passport holders of some countries and territories do not have to apply for a visa before they travel to NZ but must hold an NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority).
    <snip>
    Special visitor visa processing arrangements
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...gements/slider

Special visitor visa processing arrangements
    Members of some premium loyalty programmes such as frequent flyer programmes or flight clubs, can benefit from streamlined visitor visa processing.

Easier processing of your visitor visa
    If you are a premium member of a programme managed by one of our partner organisations, when you apply for your visa you may not need to provide evidence that you have funds available for maintenance and accommodation.

Applying for your visa
    You still need to complete a visa application and pay the application fee.

When you check in for your travel to New Zealand, you need to have evidence, such as a ticket, that you will leave New Zealand at the end of your stay.

Our partner organisations
    These airlines and financial institutions offer streamlined visitor visa processing.
    <snip>
    FT thread --> New Zealand immigration & customs

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 9, 2019 at 2:52 pm
    Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
    I really hope they don't do the same thing Canada did with their eTA application and ask if a traveler has been refused a visa to any other country. I and others who were refused visas for non-malicious reasons don't need that sort of complication.
    Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:43 pm

Whatever happened to this? Wasn't it supposed to start sometime in July?
    Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
    Originally Posted by Nayef
    Whatever happened to this? Wasn't it supposed to start sometime in July?
    Presuming you mean available for application, their website states "NZeTA will be available very soon. Register and we will email when you can request an NZeTA."

If you mean the actual requirement to have one, check the subject, or the first post, the the post 2 above yours in red...
    Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:50 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks to be now open for applications
    Link--->https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/visitor-visa
    Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:59 pm

Nope. That's a link to the online portal for regular visas.

This is the link for NZeTA's web page and it still shows "Register for NZeTA update."
    Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: Alaska
    Do you still need NZeTA if you have ABTC? I know that Australia eTA is not required for ABTC holders.
    Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
    Do you still need NZeTA if you have ABTC? I know that Australia eTA is not required for ABTC holders.
    Presuming you mean a non-US/Canadian ABTC (and one endorsed for NZ), then I'd be fairly sure the answer is no although I can't see that actually stated anywhere. ABTC implies pre-approval to enter the country, which is what NZeTA gives.

That said, I'm going to presume that if you don't have an NZeTA you're not going to be able to use the eGates(*) at NZ airports as I would expect them to reject you for not having one, and they won't be able to understand that you have an ABTC instead. So in the interest of expediency it might still be worth getting one.

(* what do the Kiwi's have again the letter "e"? Don't they realize it has a capital version too? NZeTA, eGate)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.