Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Beware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the New Zealand government web site (govt.nz) issues a visa/NZeTA. These other scam-deceptive web sites just send your data to the NZ Govt web site. Some of these sites may have a disclaimer in the fine print.

NZ Government link ---> Check if you need a visitor visa or an NZeTA
NZ Government link ---> Request an NZeTA {as at 05 Aug 2019} Please note that travellers from visa waiver or transit visa waiver countries who are in transit through New Zealand are required to hold an NZeTA.
  • From 1 October 2019, if you are from a visa waiver country you must request an NZeTA before you travel. It costs NZD$9 on our free app, or NZD$12 if completed online.
  • You must also pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). The IVL costs NZD $35 and is paid at the same time as the NZeTA.
NZ Government link --->NZ Traveller Declaration On line or phone app. An option to the paper arrival form.

NZ Government web sites. Note: Check for yourself. The requirements and links may change
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/visitor-visa
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...out-visa/nzeta
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sa/visa-waiver
Link---> https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sit-passengers Transit passengers

Refer to post 23 below

Wikipedia --> Visa policy of New Zealand This may be accurate nor does it replace official NZ Government information

Other related FT threads
Print Wikipost

NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:47 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by nancypants
percysmith out of interest, is your missus able to get an ETA with her BNO passport? Or perhaps she has another passport anyway so the question’s never come up? Or right of abode?
She also has HKSAR, both passports are eligible. HKSAR not eligible for Smartgate in NZ though.

But she just doesn't like switching passports https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post31140358
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Posts are getting off topic for this thread.
Please ask on the other thread/threads

New Zealand immigration & customs

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration
percysmith and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:08 pm

Exclamation NZeTA "Scam" Website Drama

Traveling to NZ in September. Unfortunately, I realized only afterward that I purchased the ETA from a third-party website (onlinevisa.com) not affiliated with New Zealand's government organizations. However, when entering the ETA numbers and my passport number on the official government website, it seems as if the ETA was issued. So what gives? Says so on the mobile app too. All the same, I want to avoid troubles at the border upon arrival due to this situation.

I'm sure I was overcharged for the ETA, but I am unsure if I should cancel the ETA I purchased from the third party and re-apply through the government website to ensure a smoother arrival and legitimacy. Not sure if that's even possible or who to talk to--I want to talk to a real person who can help me figure that out.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by a380supremacy
Traveling to NZ in September. Unfortunately, I realized only afterward that I purchased the ETA from a third-party website (onlinevisa.com) not affiliated with New Zealand's government organizations. However, when entering the ETA numbers and my passport number on the official government website, it seems as if the ETA was issued. So what gives? Says so on the mobile app too. All the same, I want to avoid troubles at the border upon arrival due to this situation.

I'm sure I was overcharged for the ETA, but I am unsure if I should cancel the ETA I purchased from the third party and re-apply through the government website to ensure a smoother arrival and legitimacy. Not sure if that's even possible or who to talk to--I want to talk to a real person who can help me figure that out.
Has happened before.
As post 130 above, which also has a link to another visa service

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 4, 2022 at 12:45 am Reason: added link after merge
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by a380supremacy
This appears to be one of the many companies out there that are what I'd consider "legitimate" scammers, in that they are actually providing the service that you're paying them to provide - just at a higher price than if you'd done it yourself. There's nothing technically wrong with them doing that - it's really not any diffreent than if you went to a company like Travisa, CIBT, or even a travel agents and got them to handle the visa application on your behalf - and obviously doing that would have an additional fee.

Yes, you overpaid (Looks like they charge US$89 for what would cost <US$30 on the legit site), but the fact that you were able to lookup your details on the NZ Govt website means that they almost certainly processed everything correctly. It's in their best interest to do so, simply because if they didn't then you'd just issue a chargeback against your credit card and get the full money back - but as they have provided the service you agreed to, at the 'agreed' (if not exactly made all that clear on their website!) price, then you've got no such claim against them!
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:22 pm

Please help with NZeTA App

I am traveling to New Zealand in a few months. I admit I was ripped off and bought my ETA from a third-party site, but luckily the government site says it is issued (I just paid a higher price for it, my bad). I have the government app, which also says issued, but there's one concern I have: my photo is not on the app. It just shows a green circle with my initials in place of a photo. I did send a photo to the third party for approval, but because I didn't do it through the official app, I guess my photo isn't there. What to do? Will they turn me away at boarding? I sent a photo as part of the application. I can't upload one on the app, there's nowhere to do it and it just shows me my passport info and issue number. Sorry for all my anxiety.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
No visa needed for international transit AKL (SFO-AKL_BNE)

I've read all the info on the Air New Zealand web site: but not sure: we are holding US passports. I am assuming that transiting international AKL from UA to NZ in an hour we do NOT need a New Zealand visa? We do have our ETA for Australia
Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmack
I've read all the info on the Air New Zealand web site: but not sure: we are holding US passports. I am assuming that transiting international AKL from UA to NZ in an hour we do NOT need a New Zealand visa? We do have our ETA for Australia
NZ Govt web site is the best reference. Not an airline.
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/transit-visa

https://www.travellerdeclaration.gov...re-you-travel/
https://www.travellerdeclaration.gov...n-new-zealand/
Transit passengers
Transit passengers do not need to complete a New Zealand Traveller Declaration.

You are a transit passenger if you enter New Zealand and remain at Auckland Airport on your way to another country. You can be in transit for up to 24 hours.

If you leave Auckland Airport, or your journey ends in New Zealand, you are not a transit passenger and you will need to complete a New Zealand Traveller Declaration to enter New Zealand.

You may need a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) or transit visa to transit New Zealand.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 10, 2022 at 5:23 pm
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mmack
You do NOT need a Visa, as the US is a visa waiver country for NZ.

You DO need an NZeTA, even if you are only in transit. When applying, you should select the option for transit, and you will not be charged the extra IVL fee, just the NZeTA fee (NZ$17-23).

The only people that are exempt from having either an NZeTA or a visa are Australian Citizens (and ABTC holders endorsed for NZ when travelling for business).
Old Oct 11, 2022, 12:22 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_p...ealand#Transit
Old Nov 19, 2022, 3:51 am

Do the applications that don’t get automatically approved in a few minutes get processed on the weekends? I forgot about the ETA requirement and applied last night for 2 passengers - one got approved in 2 minutes but the other has been pending for 6+ hours. Seeing that it’s almost Sunday in NZ is it pending one likely to get reviewed today? Or they wait for weekdays?
unityofsaints likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Dumb question...what proof of having obtained the NZeTA do I need? The e-mail printout? Or when immigration scans my passport, does their system automatically show that I have an NZeTA?
Old Nov 19, 2022, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by mtimmer
Dumb question...what proof of having obtained the NZeTA do I need?
Nothing. It's tied to your passport. However it's good advice to take a printout or at least have the approval email on your phone just in case...
mtimmer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
Nothing. It's tied to your passport. However it's good advice to take a printout or at least have the approval email on your phone just in case...
Thank you!
Old Dec 13, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
US APEC Business Travel Card and NZ entry

Traveling to NZ beginning of next month. We have APEC Business Travel cards which I believe means we do not need a visa, and dont need to fill out the NZeta either, but it was a little unclear from the govt site. Im asking because I know the US is not a "full" APEC country so just wanted to know what to expect and if there is any real world data from folks on this forum. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.