Search
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia
Entry

FT thread ---> Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Australian government web site Arrivals SmartGate
Australian government web site If arrivals SmartGate doesn't work for me, will I have to join the back of the manual queue? -->No

SmartGate is no longer only associated with USA Global Entry or Nexus/Sentri or anything to do with APEC
SmartGate on wikipedia

You get a card at a self service kiosk, by placing your passport on the slide, and then put that card into the SmartGate. Use the first available kiosk. They are in the passage ways and at the SmartGate area. Most people will not talk to an immigration agent.

From Arriving into Australia > Arrivals SmartGate
Arrivals SmartGate enables eligible travellers arriving at Australia’s eight major international airports the option to self-process through passport control. It provides a secure and efficient way to clear through passport control.

Arrivals SmartGate uses the information in ePassports and facial recognition technology to perform checks usually conducted by an Australian Border Force officer.
Eligibility to use arrivals SmartGate
You are eligible to use arrivals SmartGate if you:
are aged 16 years* or older
hold an ePassport from one of the following:
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • China
  • France
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • Macau
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America.

Airline crew who meet these eligibility requirements can choose to use arrivals SmartGate rather than being manually processed through the crew lane.

Australian and New Zealand ePassport holders travelling on military orders are not eligible to use arrivals SmartGate.

* Australian children aged 10 to 15 years (inclusive) can use arrivals SmartGate if they are accompanied by at least two adults.
Australia
Departure
Australian government web site Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates
Departures SmartGate is a secure and simple system that automates the checks usually conducted by an Australian Border Force officer, making it the smart way through the airport. Departing passengers can use the departures SmartGate to self-process through passport control at Australia’s major international airports.

Departures SmartGate uses the information in your passport with face recognition technology to identify you and clear you for departure. Departures SmartGate is a simple and quick way for passengers to cross the border.

New Zealand

FT thread NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand.

Visa
NZ government web site How to apply for a visitor's visa
NZ government web site About this visa Visitor Visa
NZ government web site Apply for your visa online
NZ government web site Do you need a visitor's visa?

Note:
Visa waiver (check for other conditions)
Who doesn't need a visitor's visa

If you’re coming to NZ on holiday, you don’t need to apply for a visitor visa if you’re:
  • an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • a UK passport holder who’s visiting NZ for less than 6 months
  • visiting for less than 3 months and from:
    • Andorra
    • Argentina
    • Austria
    • Bahrain
    • Belgium
    • Brazil
    • Brunei
    • Bulgaria
    • Canada
    • Chile
    • Croatia
    • Cyprus
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • Estonia (and you're not travelling on a non-citizen's (alien's) passport)
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Greece (and your passport was issued after 1 January 2006)
    • Hungary
    • Hong Kong (and you're travelling on a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or British National (Overseas) passport)
    • Iceland
    • Ireland
    • Israel
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Korea (South)
    • Kuwait
    • Latvia (and you're not travelling on a non-citizen's (alien's) passport)
    • Liechtenstein
    • Lithuania (and you're not travelling on a non-citizen's (alien's) passport)
    • Luxembourg
    • Macao (and you're travelling on a Macao Special Administrative Region passport)
    • Malaysia
    • Malta
    • Mauritius
    • Mexico
    • Monaco
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Oman
    • Poland
    • Portugal (and you also have the right to live permanently in Portugal)
    • Qatar
    • Romania
    • San Marino
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Seychelles
    • Singapore
    • Slovak Republic
    • Slovenia
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • Switzerland
    • Taiwan (and you also have the right to live permanently in Taiwan)
    • United Arab Emirates
    • United States of America (including USA nationals)
    • Uruguay
    • Vatican City.
Entry
NZ government web site Travelling to NZ - On your arrival
NZ government web site Travelling to NZ - egate
eGate is an automated way to get through passport control.

In New Zealand, you’ll find eGates at Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Queenstown airports.

You can use eGate if you are 12 years of age or older, and have an ePassport from:
  • New Zealand
  • Australia
  • the United Kingdom
  • the United States
  • Canada
  • China
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Netherlands.
New Zealand Departure
NZ government web site Leaving NZ

eGates allow travellers in some airports to process themselves – ie their passport doesn’t need to be checked by a Customs officer.

You can use eGates if you:
are 12 years or older
have an e-Passport from:
  • New Zealand
  • Australia
  • the United Kingdom
  • the United States of America
  • Canada
  • China
Print Wikipost

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Top of climb
No, you don't. There are no BP checks for international transfer security in Australia.
When did that change? It's been years since I did that transfer, but they certainly used to require a boarding pass to do it - and that's why the transfer desks were downstairs right at the entrance to the security area.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I had no issues with transit at SYD (coming from LAX) and used the smartgate at AKL. However, it did not appear to me that only GE members but rather anyone USA passport could use the AKL smartgate.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
As long as you have a US passport with a chip in it..has nothing to do with GE.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xeno
I had no issues with transit at SYD (coming from LAX) and used the smartgate at AKL. However, it did not appear to me that only GE members but rather anyone USA passport could use the AKL smartgate.
Originally Posted by worldiswide
As long as you have a US passport with a chip in it..has nothing to do with GE.
Some people are looking at post 1 from February 2013. Way out date now.
Since Feb 2013 the passports of countries that can be used in Smartgate (Au) and eGate (NZ) has increased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmartGate

Australia http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/G...eor-ePassport#
Eligibility to use arrivals SmartGate
You are eligible to use arrivals SmartGate if you:
- are aged 16 years* or older
- hold an ePassport from one of the following:
Australia
Canada
China
France
Hong Kong
Ireland
Japan
Korea
Macau
New Zealand
Singapore
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
United Kingdom
United States of America.

Airline crew who meet these eligibility requirements can choose to use arrivals SmartGate rather than being manually processed through the crew lane.
New Zealand eGate https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal...g-to-nz/egate/
In New Zealand, you’ll find eGates at Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Queenstown airports.

You can use eGate if you are 12 years of age or older, and have an ePassport from:
New Zealand
Australia
the United Kingdom
the United States
Canada
China

Before you go through an eGate, you must still:
- get your boarding pass (for departures)
- complete a passenger arrival or departure card.
glennaa11 likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 27, 2017 at 6:55 pm
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duplicate
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by docbert
When did that change? It's been years since I did that transfer, but they certainly used to require a boarding pass to do it - and that's why the transfer desks were downstairs right at the entrance to the security area.
I'm not sure when it changed, can't ever recall being asked for a BP. I just transited in MEL the other day, and they asked what my destination was... I think they were just making sure I wasn't lost. No BP required.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I arrived today at SYD having flown VA from AKL. At the AKL airport, the smartgates were lined up in a row and easy to know what to do.

However, at SYD there were all the small groups of kiosks marked something like E-Passport which threw me for a minute until I saw what those in front of me were doing. I actually wasted time waiting at a terminal not knowing there were many unused terminals on my path toward luggage.

BTW, I had in my possession one of the express arrival slips from DL having flown into SYD the other day on DL D1. When I got up to the primary lines, it looked to me like the E-Passport line was faster than the express line. Did I get that wrong or perhaps the lines were skewed when I came through on a relatively small plane rather than an widebody aircraft?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I arrived today at SYD having flown VA from AKL. At the AKL airport, the smartgates were lined up in a row and easy to know what to do.

However, at SYD there were all the small groups of kiosks marked something like E-Passport which threw me for a minute until I saw what those in front of me were doing. I actually wasted time waiting at a terminal not knowing there were many unused terminals on my path toward luggage.

BTW, I had in my possession one of the express arrival slips from DL having flown into SYD the other day on DL D1. When I got up to the primary lines, it looked to me like the E-Passport line was faster than the express line. Did I get that wrong or perhaps the lines were skewed when I came through on a relatively small plane rather than an widebody aircraft?
My last flight into SYD was in 2015, but when I lived there from 2011-2014, your choice was absolutely correct: the E-passport lines were nearly always faster (often much faster) than the express line for passport control (which Australia calls Customs). Even if there's no queue for either, I think the smartgates are faster than going to a human agent in the express queue. The express pass could make a huge difference for quarantine (after baggage claim).

I agree that the placement of the kiosks at SYD is confusing. The further along you get, the more kiosks there are, so it's never worth waiting at one of the first few kiosks. But if you haven't been there before, there's no way to know that. Poor design, but they're constrained by the space.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by ashill
. The express pass could make a huge difference for quarantine (after baggage claim)..
I find this is the major benefit of the express pass. Never had to wait more than a minute at the Smartgates to get through, but quarantine is a different story.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

E-passport lines are nearly always faster than express line (which at SYD now just merges with all other passports). I use the express line for the sole reason that my NZ passport is never accepted by Australian smartgate (but works fine in NZ), so rather than waste time to try the machine only to have to queue for an officer I bypass the machine.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:24 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
NZ smartgates seem to automatically reject an imminently expiring Australian passport. I can't think of any other reason, as the same passport worked fine 2 years ago.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:57 am

Apologies if I've missed this (I think I have), but if you get through the initial passport scanner check but the face scanner doesn't like your face, do you go back around to the long (ordinary) line or does someone guide you somewhere else?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Apologies if I've missed this (I think I have), but if you get through the initial passport scanner check but the face scanner doesn't like your face, do you go back around to the long (ordinary) line or does someone guide you somewhere else?
Will depend on the airport, but in my experience you join the back of the normal queue with all the others.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:27 pm

In sydney there's a separate queue for people who get rejected by the electronic gates
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by IMOA
In sydney there's a separate queue for people who get rejected by the electronic gates
I've had it both ways, on the outbound the queue for passport rejection by the e-gates was non-existent compared to the queue for the gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.