Search
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia
Entry

FT thread ---> Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Australian government web site Arrivals SmartGate
Australian government web site If arrivals SmartGate doesn't work for me, will I have to join the back of the manual queue? -->No

SmartGate is no longer only associated with USA Global Entry or Nexus/Sentri or anything to do with APEC
SmartGate on wikipedia

You get a card at a self service kiosk, by placing your passport on the slide, and then put that card into the SmartGate. Use the first available kiosk. They are in the passage ways and at the SmartGate area. Most people will not talk to an immigration agent.

From Arriving into Australia > Arrivals SmartGate
Arrivals SmartGate enables eligible travellers arriving at Australia’s eight major international airports the option to self-process through passport control. It provides a secure and efficient way to clear through passport control.

Arrivals SmartGate uses the information in ePassports and facial recognition technology to perform checks usually conducted by an Australian Border Force officer.
Eligibility to use arrivals SmartGate
You are eligible to use arrivals SmartGate if you:
are aged 16 years* or older
hold an ePassport from one of the following:
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • China
  • France
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • Macau
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America.

Airline crew who meet these eligibility requirements can choose to use arrivals SmartGate rather than being manually processed through the crew lane.

Australian and New Zealand ePassport holders travelling on military orders are not eligible to use arrivals SmartGate.

* Australian children aged 10 to 15 years (inclusive) can use arrivals SmartGate if they are accompanied by at least two adults.
Australia
Departure
Australian government web site Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates
Departures SmartGate is a secure and simple system that automates the checks usually conducted by an Australian Border Force officer, making it the smart way through the airport. Departing passengers can use the departures SmartGate to self-process through passport control at Australia’s major international airports.

Departures SmartGate uses the information in your passport with face recognition technology to identify you and clear you for departure. Departures SmartGate is a simple and quick way for passengers to cross the border.

New Zealand

FT thread NZeTA required from 1 October 2019 to visit or transit New Zealand.

Visa
NZ government web site How to apply for a visitor's visa
NZ government web site About this visa Visitor Visa
NZ government web site Apply for your visa online
NZ government web site Do you need a visitor's visa?

Note:
Visa waiver (check for other conditions)
Who doesn't need a visitor's visa

If you’re coming to NZ on holiday, you don’t need to apply for a visitor visa if you’re:
  • an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • a UK passport holder who’s visiting NZ for less than 6 months
  • visiting for less than 3 months and from:
    • Andorra
    • Argentina
    • Austria
    • Bahrain
    • Belgium
    • Brazil
    • Brunei
    • Bulgaria
    • Canada
    • Chile
    • Croatia
    • Cyprus
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • Estonia (and you're not travelling on a non-citizen's (alien's) passport)
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Greece (and your passport was issued after 1 January 2006)
    • Hungary
    • Hong Kong (and you're travelling on a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or British National (Overseas) passport)
    • Iceland
    • Ireland
    • Israel
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Korea (South)
    • Kuwait
    • Latvia (and you're not travelling on a non-citizen's (alien's) passport)
    • Liechtenstein
    • Lithuania (and you're not travelling on a non-citizen's (alien's) passport)
    • Luxembourg
    • Macao (and you're travelling on a Macao Special Administrative Region passport)
    • Malaysia
    • Malta
    • Mauritius
    • Mexico
    • Monaco
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Oman
    • Poland
    • Portugal (and you also have the right to live permanently in Portugal)
    • Qatar
    • Romania
    • San Marino
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Seychelles
    • Singapore
    • Slovak Republic
    • Slovenia
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • Switzerland
    • Taiwan (and you also have the right to live permanently in Taiwan)
    • United Arab Emirates
    • United States of America (including USA nationals)
    • Uruguay
    • Vatican City.
Entry
NZ government web site Travelling to NZ - On your arrival
NZ government web site Travelling to NZ - egate
eGate is an automated way to get through passport control.

In New Zealand, you’ll find eGates at Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Queenstown airports.

You can use eGate if you are 12 years of age or older, and have an ePassport from:
  • New Zealand
  • Australia
  • the United Kingdom
  • the United States
  • Canada
  • China
  • France
  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Netherlands.
New Zealand Departure
NZ government web site Leaving NZ

eGates allow travellers in some airports to process themselves – ie their passport doesn’t need to be checked by a Customs officer.

You can use eGates if you:
are 12 years or older
have an e-Passport from:
  • New Zealand
  • Australia
  • the United Kingdom
  • the United States of America
  • Canada
  • China
Print Wikipost

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver
I have GE and I tried using SmartGate in SYD yesterday morning upon my arrival. There seemed to be some issues with the system because I had to try three different kiosks before I found one that worked. After I scanned my passport in the kiosk, it said I had to visit an immigration/customs officer. However, after making my way through the line (which took less than five minutes) the officer swiped my passport, stamped it, and let me proceed in less than 30 seconds. I will be sure try SmartGate again on my next visit and let you know about the experience.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:14 am

SmartGate passport scanning is improving, so continue to give it a go. Even if it doesn't work you get to go to the Australian and New Zealand priority queue, so it is generally much quicker.

Most of these systems rely on your name matching exactly on all of your travel records - especially visa (eta) and your passport. If they don't match, a person has to work out which name is correct. That could be the reason it isn't working and you are being sent to an officer.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Used smart gate at BNE

Had no problems on Nov 4, 2013. First use of Global Entry privilege on USA passport.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Worked fine at SYD on Nov 5th. Being a newbie with this, I timed myself out the 1st time staring at the kiosk screen when I should be looking up for face recognition. Not many people used it while I was around/in it though.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Smartgate - US Global Entry Program

SYD Immigrations verified that SmartGate is not smart enough to recognize QF008. It assumes the flight is domestic and travelers had gone through immigrations at BNE.

Several folks including myself had our tickets rejected and we all had traveled on QF008.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:20 pm

Came into sydney this morning and was able to use smartgate with my us passport despite not having Nexus or GE. Guess it was a fluke or did they open it up for all us passport holders?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: UA & DL Gold
I noticed different sings and stuff when I arrived on 12/1. Previously the signs said "Australian Citizens / US Global Entry keep right" (or something like that). Now they just had flags for AU / NZ / US pointing everyone off to the right where the smart gates were.

The actual terminals are not well marked and are kind of tucked away -- so I assume that's a good thing. Hopefully people just won't know to use them to keep the lines short for AU/NZ/US Global Entry participants.

That being said, my coworker went through a line on 12/1 and made it out to the baggage side faster than I did with the gate... so...

--Dan
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:28 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Tried to us Smartgate this morning at SYD (both of us are US GE Members w/ e-passports) and had no luck. Regular line went through plenty fast though. Came into CHC last week from SIN and saw that they had a separate line for US GE members. Had my GE card, gave it to the agent, who then asked why I was giving her the card, what was US Global Entry, and then told me that because I was visiting on holiday (and not business) that I was unable to use that line. :\. She asked a supervisor to come over, who then waved me through.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Any recent experience? Heading over this week for first time as GE holder.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Any recent experience? Heading over this week for first time as GE holder.
Was there about 2 weeks ago (and am going back again tomorrow [don't ask]) -- works great. Sometimes you might get a "you must see an agent" thing, but there is a special line for that (shorter than the normal lines).

Last edited by debracey; Apr 22, 2014 at 10:46 am
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by debracey
Was there about 2 weeks ago (and am going back again tomorrow [don't ask]) -- works great. Sometimes you might get a "you must see an agent" thing, but there is a special line for that (shorter than the normal lines).
Thanks! I'll be flying First, is there a GE/Smartgate lane in the expedited area (cake and eating it too!) ?? If not, which would be faster?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Thanks! I'll be flying First, is there a GE/Smartgate lane in the expedited area (cake and eating it too!) ?? If not, which would be faster?
As far as I know, there's only one group of gates. The gate will be faster. I hardly ever see anyone using them.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by debracey
As far as I know, there's only one group of gates. The gate will be faster. I hardly ever see anyone using them.
Cheers. On my way! ^
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL, GE, AAA
I recently used the SmartGate when I landed at SYD. It was a breeze. I spent a total of 40 minutes through Customs and Quarrantine (the longest part of the wait was waiting for my checked-in baggage).

The only thing I had to do was that since I was not wearing glasses in my passport photo, I had to take my glasses off at the second step for the face recognition photo. Australian Customs told me that your face has to closely match your passport photo, with the same facial expression and without glasses.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:57 pm

Smartgate - US Global Entry Program

Looks like you must have e-passport (with chip) to use it. Unfortunately, my renewal was right before they started having them. Oh well, there was nobody in I&C queue anyway this morning!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.