Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYDNEY what to do for half to one day transit?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by IMOA
Actually, one person is saying don't go to the city, everyone else is saying you have ample time. The SYD business lounge isn't that great, it's nowhere near as good as say hong kong or singapore, and if you are flying on an american passport you'll be looking at about 15 minutes from gate to platform so a bad run would have you standing looking at the opera house in under an hour after landing. Sydney used to be pretty terrible in the morning but in your circumstances it will likely be one of the quickest arrivals you've ever had.

If it was the first lounge maybe you'd pause for thought but really I think you'd be crazy to not head into town.
Yeah since those e-gates opened, I haven't had longer than 20 minutes from deplaning to being in a car on the way home. As you say the QF J lounge is nothing flash, but I guess I'm in the rare FT group that find any lounge pretty ho-hum after a couple of hours. They're basically very nice waiting rooms.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by IMOA
Actually, one person is saying don't go to the city, everyone else is saying you have ample time.

If it was the first lounge maybe you'd pause for thought but really I think you'd be crazy to not head into town.
I think most are saying it's going to take about an hour to get from the gate to the city if it all goes well.

And who knows how long on the way back? But best to allow at least an hour for transport and airport formalities.

That plus some lounge time plus boarding around 30 mins before the flight will eat away a lot of those 6 hours.

I've only done SYD int arrivals and departures well over 100 times, so what would I know?

But 2 hours in the city can be great if you've not been there before.

And if the OP makes it to Manly and back - considering that's where I was born and lived for most of my life - and from where I travelled to and from SYD airport most times - well, I'll personally congratulate the OP for the effort!

Last edited by Austman; Nov 20, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Austman

And who knows how long on the way back? But best to allow at least an hour for transport and airport formalities.
I'm pretty sure in the afternoon, either train/uber will not take longer than 30 minutes from circular quay. And airport is not busy in the afternoon.

BUT, for us visit SYD regularly, I would feel comfy about leave circular quay at 1pm for a 3pm flight. For first timer like OP, he might prefer to leave a little earlier.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
BUT, for us visit SYD regularly, I would feel comfy about leave circular quay at 1pm for a 3pm flight. For first timer like OP, he might prefer to leave a little earlier.
I think I'd want to be arriving at the airport by 1pm at the latest for a 3pm international flight if I wanted to shower and refresh in the lounge before the flight. You'd only realistically have about 1 hour lounge time.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I think I'd want to be arriving at the airport by 1pm at the latest for a 3pm international flight if I wanted to shower and refresh in the lounge before the flight. You'd only realistically have about 1 hour lounge time.
I doubt one would really want to do in town & lounge all in 6 hours. If I visit the town and time is limited, I skip the lounge (at least in the plan). If happened to arrive airport earlier and still got time for lounge, a quick shower wouldn't hurt.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
I doubt one would really want to do in town & lounge all in 6 hours. If I visit the town and time is limited, I skip the lounge (at least in the plan). If happened to arrive airport earlier and still got time for lounge, a quick shower wouldn't hurt.
It's certainly doable with 6 hours.

But if you'd like to skip a shower after a long overnight flight followed by a walk for some hours around a humid city in summer (this is Sydney for the next few months) before your next flight?

Ummm. I know many who would disagree. Showers can really matter. Thinking of the whole travel experience. And the flights and the seasons.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a humid city in summer (this is Sydney for the next few months) before your next flight?
It is?

I've never found Sydney uncomfortable in the summer with the odd heatwave. Although we get a few muggy days a year that are getting more frequent.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
It is?

I've never found Sydney uncomfortable in the summer with the odd heatwave. Although we get a few muggy days a year that are getting more frequent.
Many think Sydney is pretty humid in summer. Being from Sydney and having lived in many other cities around the world, I agree. And some days are already reaching 30+ degrees.

This is just to consider on top of a long overnight flight and a few hours walking around in it.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many think Sydney is pretty humid in summer. Being from Sydney and having lived in many other cities around the world, I agree. And some days are already reaching 30+ degrees.

This is just to consider on top of a long overnight flight and a few hours walking around in it.
I've lived in a few places around the world too. Never thought Sydney was overly humid or ever heard anyone complain about the humidity except on the couple of genuinely muggy days we get. I guess YMMV.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
I've lived in a few places around the world too. Never thought Sydney was overly humid or ever heard anyone complain about the humidity except on the couple of genuinely muggy days we get. I guess YMMV.
It's definitely gotten worse. The days of the dry heat seem to be fewer and the humidity is creeping up in the Sydney summer. Not NYC by any means but the hot days tend to be humid in Sydney these days.

Still if the OP is going to head into Sydney take the train, traffic is pretty much a nightmare around the airport except for late at night.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
As a fellow AZ traveller my suggestion would be to go to the city. With 6 hoes you have plenty of time to take the air train to Circular Quay to get some fresh air, see some sites, and grab a bite.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
This would be tight for Manly, but quite easy to see the Circular Quay and the Rocks if you like. A ferry from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour and back is a nice way to sightsee.

I would say go for it if you want to break up the flights and get some fresh air, but I feel that Manly is a bit of a risk.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
This would be tight for Manly, but quite easy to see the Circular Quay and the Rocks if you like. A ferry from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour and back is a nice way to sightsee.

I would say go for it if you want to break up the flights and get some fresh air, but I feel that Manly is a bit of a risk.
To rephrase something I posted earlier, this isn't a decision that has to be made now. See how long it takes you to get landside. Once you know that, if you have time (you probably will), get on the train to Circular Quay. Once you see what time it is when you get there, you can decide if a ferry to Manly and back is doable (and worth it) or if you should just wander around the Opera House, the Rocks and so on. Don't commit to a plan in advance, because so many things are unpredictable and all we can tell you is what is average/typical. Keep your options open and take it one step at a time. The only thing you have to do in advance is get your ETA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.