Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYDNEY what to do for half to one day transit?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA 1K, Bonvoy Platinum elite Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Post SYDNEY what to do for half to one day transit?

Ill be in SYD on the 15th for just over 7 hours
any reccomendations as to what there is to do? the best place to have lunch? best views? Shark Fishing
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:34 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I think there has been several threads on similar short layovers in Sydney. The usual suggestions are to have a walk around the city (you may even have time to do a bridge climb) or go to Manly for a walk and a meal. (You can walk around the city and go to Manly, but not if you do the bridge climb.)

Quay restuarant at Circular Quay (where you catch the ferry to Manly) is supposed to be a good place for lunch. $90, but supposedly a bargain for it being restaurant of the year.

If by the 15th you mean (our) tomorrow, the weather may be a slight issue. It's supposed to be stormy last night and today, and clearing tomorrow. However, the weather seems to be running behind a bit...
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:41 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 10:34 am
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:03 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Train or taxi to Circular Quay. Walk around the foreshore to Opera House then walk around the rocks. Maybe a ferry ride to Manly or Watson's Bay.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:06 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I had a 7 hour layover last November, and I made the most of it. Train to Circular Quay, walk around for a few hours, see the bridge and Opera House. Lunch near the Quay, then back to the airport about 5 hours later. Grabbed a shower in the NZ lounge then jumped on my UA flight back to SFO. One of the better layovers I've had
Old Oct 14, 2008, 1:27 am

Programs: QF SG,Hyatt Diamond,SQ PPS,PC AMB
Train to Circular Quay,walk around Opera House, The Rocks and Botanic Gardens.
Climb the Bridge Pylon(free)
Then ferry to Watsons Bay for lunch of Fish and Chips and a couple of Pints.
Done

Last edited by Aussie Battler; Oct 14, 2008 at 3:04 am
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
What Aussie Battler said - absolutely SPOT ON! ^
Ferry to Watson's Bay will give you nice overview of the Harbour at same time as you take in lunch. Walks around Opera, Circular Quay and Botanic will give you taste of SYD, and pints, well. If you have to ask, you prolly don't need to do anything during your layover!!

Dave
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA 1K, Bonvoy Platinum elite Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks for all of the advice! as usual I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge and the willingness to help out here on FT... I ended up walking around in the Circular Quay and dining upstairs but not at the Quay as they only serve seafood...BTW the weather was very nice not a cloud in sight.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
samcmontreal, if you're still around (or anyone else finds this thread and all the pre-existing ones), you've covered almost everything.

If you are spending time in The Rocks / Quay after doing those other things, end the soujourn with a trip up to the top of the Shangri La for an excellent drink to end a fun transit stop in Sydney.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by bseller
What Aussie Battler said - absolutely SPOT ON! ^
Ferry to Watson's Bay will give you nice overview of the Harbour at same time as you take in lunch. Walks around Opera, Circular Quay and Botanic will give you taste of SYD, and pints, well. If you have to ask, you prolly don't need to do anything during your layover!!

Dave
This is actually giving me an interesting suggestion. This works either direction, by the way. Train into town, walk around CBD down to Circular Quay, the Rocks, Opera House, Botanical Gardens. Ferry to Watsons Bay. Lunch @ Watsons Bay. Beach Explorer to Bondi, coffee at Bondi, bus to Bondi Junction. Eastern Suburbs line back to the airport. Mmm, I'm jealous.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 5:00 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
As a Northern SYD Downunder girl - I can vouch for all these great suggestions. To add balance to Stevenshev's idea , you can also catch a relaxing ferry over to Manly from Circular Quay and walk down the Corso to Manly Beach, head to your right and walk to Shelley Beach, sit on the sand or the little cafe on the way and catch some rays .
Old Nov 20, 2008, 6:21 pm

I will probably have a similar (just under 8 hour) layover next Tuesday. What do people think about doing a 2 hour Intro Surfing lesson on Bondi or Marauba Beach? FYI - I have seen Sydney a few times before, much more leisurely than a quick stopover...
Old Nov 21, 2008, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Yipster
I will probably have a similar (just under 8 hour) layover next Tuesday. What do people think about doing a 2 hour Intro Surfing lesson on Bondi or Marauba Beach? FYI - I have seen Sydney a few times before, much more leisurely than a quick stopover...
Why not just hire a bodyboard instead and have some fun. Surfing is fun don't get me wrong but in 2 hours you will not really learn that much (unless your a fast learner) so just go out and have some fun instead....and stay between the flags .

Edit to add: If you don't go for the learn to surf option I would try a different beach to the two you mention neither of which are particularly picturesque. I have always thought the Northern Beaches are nicer than the Eastern beaches (even though I'm from the East, and generally despise those from the wrong side of the harbour ). My favourite up there would be Freshwater and there is a great restaurant overlooking the beach. It's pretty beginner friendly as well. Of course with 8 hours you may be stretching it

Last edited by bensyd; Nov 21, 2008 at 8:57 am
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, BMI Gold, United 1K
7 hours in SYD

I am doing a MR this weekend form ORD to SYD. I am heading into SYD for 7 hours. Suggestions about things to do? I just want to walk around, take some pictures, have a bite to eat, and enjoy a good latte. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If anyone else is doing this crazy MR this weekend, let me know!

Arigatou!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
Definitly would go for a harbour cruise, likewise look at http://www.sydneybuses.info/tourist-...y-explorer.htm that will cover the major attractions around Sydney and out to Bondi Beach, plus the ability to get off somewhere you like and have a look around, before getting a later service to continue your journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.