Search

SYDNEY where to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller

There’s better in Surry Hills.

Bridge Room is closing at the end of April.
Agree on that. Bill's is probably nearing its use-by date.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:53 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by bensyd
They have a couple of noteworthy dishes, deconstructed pavlova and zucchini fries for example. The food was never fancy and that concept can only go downhill over time as loses its freshness. I only get to Sydney a couple of times a year now so it it fresh for me
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
They have a couple of noteworthy dishes, deconstructed pavlova and zucchini fries for example.
Does anything say passé like deconstructed anything?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
High End:

- The Bridge Room
- Restaurant Hubert
- Pendolino
- Nomad (Surry Hills)

Casual but slightly pricier (bistro type)
- Bopp & Tone
- Bacco
- District Brasserie
- Bambini Trust
- Chefs Gallery

Breakfast and cheap places
- Mamak (Chinatown Malay food)
- Bambini Trust
- Grounds of the City
- Alice’s Makan

Up until December I used to work in Surry Hills so I have a special Surry Hills list:

- Suzuya (cheap big portions but quality Japanese)
- Pasta Emilia (hand made pasta trattoria)
- Nomad (see above)
- Reuben Hills (modern brunch i.e. notch above just eggs on toast)
- Paramount Coffee Project (modern brunch)
- Cuckoo Callay (modern brunch)
- Dove and Olive (good pub grub)
- Bourke Street Bakery (wonderful pies and sausage rolls)

I’ll probably add to this list as I’m on a bus.
Jesus, I have some work to do. I barely know a bunch of these places let alone have been there.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Jesus, I have some work to do. I barely know a bunch of these places let alone have been there.
I live here and barely know them.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Bill Granger doesn’t think so given they moved a couple of doors down the street and signed a new lease last year.

There’s only so much you can trade on ricotta hot cakes and corn fritters.

Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Hey All - I'm a single traveler on business heading to AU in a couple weeks. I come down twice a year so I'm pretty comfortable with AU in general. I'll be landing in Sydney on a Thursday at 4:40. I'm staying at the Rydges at the airport. I know airport hotels aren't recommended but I have a morning flight home and just love the convenience of walking across the street to the international terminal. That being said I do plan to take the train in to the city to grab a bit to eat and have a walk that evening.

Being that I'm travelling alone I prefer a pub type setting where there is a casual atmosphere - nothing upscale - where I can relax and have a decent meal and a beer or two (while it not being awkward that I'm solo). I've looked through the thread and identified a few places and here is my feedback. Curious for what you think might be best for me of these choices or if there are any other suggestions. I'll probably hop off the train at the harbor and walk somewhere from there so keep that in mind (and don't mind walking a fair bit).

One question I do have when ordering at a pub - do people it at the bar? In the US it is common for people to sit and eat at a bar but curious whether that is appropriate in AU. I like the bar because it's easy for someone alone to sit at and not worry about a table.

The Australian Hotel - I've actually been here for drinks before and seems like the right setting. Haven't eaten there before though.
Lord Nelson Brewery - Pictures look like it could be a good choice. Does it get really busy on a Thursday evening? There were some pictures were it looked like people were hanging outside.
The Orient Hotel - This was suggested up thread but pictures make it look a little more of a formal setting than a true pub.

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:33 pm

It’s not common to eat at the bar itself. Often there won’t be stools or anything at the bar.

It does seem like a long way to go just for a pub meal. Another reasonable pub is the Paragon at Circular Quay but the Rocks ones are probably better for vibe
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
It’s not common to eat at the bar itself. Often there won’t be stools or anything at the bar.

It does seem like a long way to go just for a pub meal. Another reasonable pub is the Paragon at Circular Quay but the Rocks ones are probably better for vibe
Thanks for clearing that up. In the US we eat at the bar all the time. So what’s the procedure then? Go up to the bar to order and then find a table?

It’s not a super long way to go into the city in the train. I’ll want to wander around so it’s not just heading down for dinner. Beats sitting in the hotel bar.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WiscAZ

Thanks for clearing that up. In the US we eat at the bar all the time. So what’s the procedure then? Go up to the bar to order and then find a table?

Yes, they'll usually give you a number to take with you so they know where to take your food. Sitting at the bar is not that uncommon but in busier pubs they don't tend to like it because people need to be able to order at the bar and space is at a premium. Personally, I love sitting at the bar, my local(s) all have bar seating.

My pick in The Rocks would be Harts Pub.

Last edited by bensyd; Apr 18, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:43 am

Yes, they'll usually give you a number to take with you so they know where to take your food. Sitting at the bar is not that uncommon but in busier pubs they don't tend to like it because people need to be able to order at the bar and space is at a premium. Personally, I love sitting at the bar, my local(s) all have bar seating.

My pick in The Rocks would be Harts Pub.
Or you get a little buzzer that goes off when food is ready to be collected.

Ben, you must frequent different pubs to me - space is usually at such a premium at the ones I go to they generally have no seats at the bar.

Wisc, yes better than a hotel bar no doubt
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or you get a little buzzer that goes off when food is ready to be collected.

Ben, you must frequent different pubs to me - space is usually at such a premium at the ones I go to they generally have no seats at the bar.

Wisc, yes better than a hotel bar no doubt

Three pubs I go to regularly within spitting distance of my house, the Four in Hand, the Lord Dudley and the Grand National all have seating at the bar. Also near me, so does the Bellevue, Charlie Parkers, The Village Inn, The Unicorn, and Wine Library. I'd say half the pubs/bars in Paddington do. Hmmm...I think that list came far too easily to me. I must spend too much time in pubs!
kirkwoodj likes this.

Last edited by bensyd; Apr 19, 2019 at 4:17 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:12 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
...Lord Nelson Brewery - Pictures look like it could be a good choice. Does it get really busy on a Thursday evening? There were some pictures were it looked like people were hanging outside....
Excellent beer at the Lord Nelson, food is average (which is quite good for pub food). It does get crowded as it is small old historic building with good beer The people hanging around outside are geerally smoking (no smoking allowed inside in Oz with a very few exceptions).
Old May 21, 2019, 4:15 am

Bopp and Tone opened in the CBD in November. I’be been there twice, very good.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Hey All - I'm a single traveler on business heading to AU in a couple weeks. I come down twice a year so I'm pretty comfortable with AU in general. I'll be landing in Sydney on a Thursday at 4:40. I'm staying at the Rydges at the airport. I know airport hotels aren't recommended but I have a morning flight home and just love the convenience of walking across the street to the international terminal. That being said I do plan to take the train in to the city to grab a bit to eat and have a walk that evening.

Being that I'm travelling alone I prefer a pub type setting where there is a casual atmosphere - nothing upscale - where I can relax and have a decent meal and a beer or two (while it not being awkward that I'm solo). I've looked through the thread and identified a few places and here is my feedback. Curious for what you think might be best for me of these choices or if there are any other suggestions. I'll probably hop off the train at the harbor and walk somewhere from there so keep that in mind (and don't mind walking a fair bit).

One question I do have when ordering at a pub - do people it at the bar? In the US it is common for people to sit and eat at a bar but curious whether that is appropriate in AU. I like the bar because it's easy for someone alone to sit at and not worry about a table.

The Australian Hotel - I've actually been here for drinks before and seems like the right setting. Haven't eaten there before though.
Lord Nelson Brewery - Pictures look like it could be a good choice. Does it get really busy on a Thursday evening? There were some pictures were it looked like people were hanging outside.
The Orient Hotel - This was suggested up thread but pictures make it look a little more of a formal setting than a true pub.

Thanks!
I've eaten at The Australian when on solo business travel. The bar area is pretty busy and would be awkward to eat at. Most people go for the pizzas which are good for pub food.
If it's busy - it will be on a Thursday night - you could end up sharing a table. Last time, a wednesday night, I ended up sharing an outside table with a bunch of Americans off a cruise ship.

I didn't mind, I enjoyed the company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.