Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYDNEY where to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Although many suggestions are still valid, it’s good having some life in this thread!
OK, you want life, I'll try to bring some life!

To wit: Restaurant review sites--which ones are your "go-to" resources for dining recommendations? I've found the following, and I hope this might be helpful to others visiting this thread. All of them seem to be plausibly far above the TripAdvisor.com usual level of pseudo-critiques:

Sydney Morning Herald (Callan Boys, Terry Durack)-It appears that all of their reviews are published in GoodFood.com.au
GoodFood.com.au and AustralianGoodFoodGuide (agfg.com.au)-These two confused me, as they are both referencing the coveted hats but appear to be separate publications with strikingly similar names
Broadsheet.com.au
GourmetTraveller.com.au
TimeOut.com
TheUrbanList.com/food-and-drink
TheInfatuation.com/sydney (I'm familiar with this one from New York City, and have found it to be generally just OK)
AustralianTraveller.com (Basically just a "Best Of Australia" list of one paragraph blurbs)

Last edited by bob12403; Sep 6, 2022 at 11:24 am
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Goodfood.com.au
Gourmet Traveller

are probably my top 2 but I’m not a Terry Durack fan.

Broadsheet also not bad.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Goodfood and Broadsheet. The Not Quite Nigella blog has some good restaurant reviews too.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:22 pm

For the websites good food usually does decent reviews and I like time out for new ideas (they don’t just recycle the same 20 restaurants). Agreed on the nigella blog, I often find myself reading those reviews and they’re reasonable. What I find is consistently poor across all websites is the area guides they produces, for the areas I know we’ll I’ve never seen a guide that isn’t hopelessly wrong and clearly compiled from google or the like reviews.

Anyway, my final thought. If someone is coming to Sydney and they’re properly into food then the one style of restaurant I would recommend they visit is what I’d kinda call a casual food focussed wine bar kind of place. The sort of restaurant which has an interesting wine list, very good food that isn’t necessarily pretty, casual (but high quality and always friendly) service and might be a bit noisier than typical. The sorts of places would be Poly, Cafe Paci, Porcine, Bar Vincent, Alberto’s Lounge, Paski Vineria, Dear Sante Eloise etc. I think Sydney does these sorts of places very well because we’re not too formal, like a good feed and love a good drink.
PresRDC, bob12403, bensyd and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMOA
Anyway, my final thought. If someone is coming to Sydney and they’re properly into food then the one style of restaurant I would recommend they visit is what I’d kinda call a casual food focussed wine bar kind of place. The sort of restaurant which has an interesting wine list, very good food that isn’t necessarily pretty, casual (but high quality and always friendly) service and might be a bit noisier than typical. The sorts of places would be Poly, Cafe Paci, Porcine, Bar Vincent, Alberto’s Lounge, Paski Vineria, Dear Sante Eloise etc. I think Sydney does these sorts of places very well because we’re not too formal, like a good feed and love a good drink.
This should be pinned at the top of the thread because it's so true.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:40 pm

Agree with IMOA above. Mediterranean style (but not necessarily Italian, Spanish, Greek etc) i.e. good produce cooked simply and well is also a strength.

Went to Sokyo last night. Boy it ain’t cheap but it is very good.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Karen's Diner lol
Old Oct 6, 2022, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Agree with IMOA above. Mediterranean style (but not necessarily Italian, Spanish, Greek etc) i.e. good produce cooked simply and well is also a strength.

Went to Sokyo last night. Boy it ain’t cheap but it is very good.
My husband and I say we must go there every time we stay at the Darling but we still haven't been years later!
Old Nov 12, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by IMOA
Actually, when do they reopen Phillips Foote? If I was in the rocks and it’s open that would be my first choice for a drink and a feed because they have such consistently high standards with their venues that I can’t imagine it will be anything but excellent.
I've been awaiting some signs of life regarding the newly re-christened Le Foote. I found the email address for both the restaurant and Swillhouse and have sent polite inquiries about an opening date, all which have been met by the sound of crickets in the distance. All I've found on the web is either "opening August 2022" or "coming soon."
Old Nov 21, 2022, 1:26 am

Went to Franca Brasserie the other night.

It ain’t cheap. It is good, service was very good.

Moreton Bay Bug with cafe de Paris butter a highlight.

They brought my glass of Louis Roederer Collection 243 without showing me the bottle - like they’ve done at Otto and Sokyo which was a bit annoying.
bensyd likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to Aalia last week for lunch. I used to be friendly with the executive chef, Paul, back when he was running the Four in Hand dining room. He's a great guy and the food at Aalia is outstanding. Sort of modern, Middle Eastern, fine dining. Everyone said try the lamb, and the lamb is indeed amazing. But really everything I tried was outstanding. A really interesting menu – I had no idea what half the things on the menu were. I guess as Paul is of Egyptian ancestry this is sort of playing to his roots but done really well.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...lc+menu+nov+11
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:33 pm

Well, both Aalia and Franca got themselves 2 hats in the Good Food Guide’s 2023 guide (if it means anything anymore).

Full list here: https://www.goodfood.com.au/eat-out/...17-h27xw8.html

Not sure I thought Franca worth 2 hats. 1 hat, yeah, I could see that, but 2?

Hmmmm
bensyd likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:49 pm

The list is, hmm, interesting to me. On the two hat side of things leaving aside the restaurants that imo get there by reputation alone (or by having the word Rockpool in their name) but there’s also quite a few like monopole and nomad which are quite nice but I didn’t think 2 hat nice. Cafe Paci probably in that group as well but I’m quite happy to see them get 2 because I do love them.

On the 1hat side of things there are some howlers though. Take Annata for example, I reckon I know it well as we ate there fortnightly a few years back and know the previous owner (Christian Blair) quite well. Anyway, he sold and slowly most of the old team left and the service has taken a big step back. Like genuinely rude service, particularly from the new sommelier, which is well known enough locally that it’s become a topic of conversation. But they get a hat when they haven’t had one for years (not since Jordan took over as head chef) which is a bit bizarre. We still eat their once a quarter or so and while the food matches where they were a couple of years ago (when they didn’t have a hat) the service and experience is miles below where they were.

Then places like Hojiak Town Hall where they take some of their great food which they became famous for in their Strathfield and Broadway locations and unnecessarily add luxury ingredients and a price tag. Putting a bunch of crab meat on top of char quay teow and doubling the price is f…ing stupid. 1 hat. ....

Finally, yes it’s getting old in concept but Rockpool bar and power lunch 2 hats, Bistecca no hats. They should show someone the list before they publish for obvious mistakes.
bensyd and JClasstraveller like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Terry Durack might be getting a bit old, tbh. That list reads like where people over 50 would go – I guess that's how Mr Wongs get two hats but Chin Chin gets nothing. It just feels a bit tired.

Fred's and Margaret are in no way deserving of two hats. Margaret is hardly groundbreaking stuff. Actually, what is with all the Merivale venues? With the exception of Mr Wong and a couple of others they are all mostly, as my friend calls them, upmarket Sizzlers. Buon Ricordo gets a gong but Bistecca doesn't.

That list needs to get a bit more adventurous or risk becoming irrelevant. There is so much quality food being done at lower price points. Is this just going to become a list of largely overpriced fine dining places?
IMOA likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
I think Terry Durack might be getting a bit old, tbh. That list reads like where people over 50 would go – I guess that's how Mr Wongs get two hats but Chin Chin gets nothing. It just feels a bit tired.

Fred's and Margaret are in no way deserving of two hats. Margaret is hardly groundbreaking stuff. Actually, what is with all the Merivale venues? With the exception of Mr Wong and a couple of others they are all mostly, as my friend calls them, upmarket Sizzlers. Buon Ricordo gets a gong but Bistecca doesn't.

That list needs to get a bit more adventurous or risk becoming irrelevant. There is so much quality food being done at lower price points. Is this just going to become a list of largely overpriced fine dining places?
This.

“Upmarket Sizzler” is quite an amusing description - for some that might be right.

I have a soft spot for Hotel Centennial, I think that’s worth its hat.

I have a friend who called Margaret boring. I think there’s simple then there’s simple because it’s more economical and boring. Another friend thought it was just the Double Bay outpost of the SYD QF F Lounge!

I could say more about what I think about Durack but I won’t.
bensyd and IMOA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.