FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SYDNEY where to eat?
View Single Post
Old May 27, 2019, 3:36 am
mandolino

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Hey All - I'm a single traveler on business heading to AU in a couple weeks. I come down twice a year so I'm pretty comfortable with AU in general. I'll be landing in Sydney on a Thursday at 4:40. I'm staying at the Rydges at the airport. I know airport hotels aren't recommended but I have a morning flight home and just love the convenience of walking across the street to the international terminal. That being said I do plan to take the train in to the city to grab a bit to eat and have a walk that evening.

Being that I'm travelling alone I prefer a pub type setting where there is a casual atmosphere - nothing upscale - where I can relax and have a decent meal and a beer or two (while it not being awkward that I'm solo). I've looked through the thread and identified a few places and here is my feedback. Curious for what you think might be best for me of these choices or if there are any other suggestions. I'll probably hop off the train at the harbor and walk somewhere from there so keep that in mind (and don't mind walking a fair bit).

One question I do have when ordering at a pub - do people it at the bar? In the US it is common for people to sit and eat at a bar but curious whether that is appropriate in AU. I like the bar because it's easy for someone alone to sit at and not worry about a table.

The Australian Hotel - I've actually been here for drinks before and seems like the right setting. Haven't eaten there before though.
Lord Nelson Brewery - Pictures look like it could be a good choice. Does it get really busy on a Thursday evening? There were some pictures were it looked like people were hanging outside.
The Orient Hotel - This was suggested up thread but pictures make it look a little more of a formal setting than a true pub.

Thanks!
I've eaten at The Australian when on solo business travel. The bar area is pretty busy and would be awkward to eat at. Most people go for the pizzas which are good for pub food.
If it's busy - it will be on a Thursday night - you could end up sharing a table. Last time, a wednesday night, I ended up sharing an outside table with a bunch of Americans off a cruise ship.

I didn't mind, I enjoyed the company.