Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYDNEY where to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2023, 9:09 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by bensyd
I can think of bakeries that do pavlovas, but I can't think of any restaurants.

Flour and Stone in Woolloomooloo does very nice baked things and according to their website they also sell pavlovas. So there's an option. I get the feeling though you might need to buy a whole pavlova. I would imagine it would be better than what City Extra is slinging out.
Flour and Stone is very good but very expensive. I’m there more than I should be but at least with prices high it stops me going more often.

Not sure if they do pavlovas over the counter though.

Because of the meringue base it’s not a dessert that lends itself to being stored for too long hence why it’s often on special order.
bensyd and EmpressRouge like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Flour and Stone is very good but very expensive.
Yes it is, but I mean on an absolute basis a bakery, even an expensive one, is still a pretty cheap treat. And those panna-cotta lamingtons, Good Lord.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Best place for Moreton Bay bugs near the Sheraton Grande?

would the Eight be a good choice?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
Best place for Moreton Bay bugs near the Sheraton Grande?

would the Eight be a good choice?
Harbourfront has grilled MBB. I think Nicks Seafood also has them. Balmain bugs (the ones native to Sydney) are also around.

Saint Peter, which I think is the best seafood restaurant in Sydney by some distance, has Balmain bugs on the menu from time to time. But most of the speciality seafood places focus on seasonal "what's available at the fish market today" type menus.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:34 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
I've got an Amex credit to spend at one of these places (need to move the map to Sydney!). Dinner (possibly lunch) for two for my birthday in early March (so might be too late to book some places). My preference is good, well cooked food that's not too fancy, not too much of the tweezers artfully arranging the microherbs and edible flowers. Not a big steak eater but no dietary restrictions and happy to eat most food from anywhere around the world. Any recommendations?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by louie-m
I've got an Amex credit to spend at one of these places (need to move the map to Sydney!). Dinner (possibly lunch) for two for my birthday in early March (so might be too late to book some places). My preference is good, well cooked food that's not too fancy, not too much of the tweezers artfully arranging the microherbs and edible flowers. Not a big steak eater but no dietary restrictions and happy to eat most food from anywhere around the world. Any recommendations?
From that list and your preferences, I'd say Chiswick. Solid menu, nice setting for a birthday meal for two. A well rounded menu and no tweezers are used in the preparation.

It looks like that list includes a lot of Upmarket Sizzler Merivale venues.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:06 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by bensyd
From that list and your preferences, I'd say Chiswick. Solid menu, nice setting for a birthday meal for two. A well rounded menu and no tweezers are used in the preparation.

It looks like that list includes a lot of Upmarket Sizzler Merivale venues.
Most of Sydney’s top venues there.

Although Merivale, Hotel Centennial is better than Chiswick.

If it has to be Sydney CBD proper (or just outside), I think Otto is great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.