Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: United
Sydney to Fiji International Transfer

We are traveling through Sydney (United) and then onto to Fiji (Virgin Australia). United flight is set to arrive at 7am and Virgin flight to Nadi, Fiji is at 8:30am. Is this reasonable for an international transfer within the same terminal, T1? Are there any VIP meet and greet services that can help with the transfer?

Please help! We've never been through SYD before and have no idea what to expect.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jaime Brochu Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Jaime Brochu
We are traveling through Sydney (United) and then onto to Fiji (Virgin Australia). United flight is set to arrive at 7am and Virgin flight to Nadi, Fiji is at 8:30am. Is this reasonable for an international transfer within the same terminal, T1? Are there any VIP meet and greet services that can help with the transfer?

Please help! We've never been through SYD before and have no idea what to expect.
Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport Click to open the wiki.

Is the UA flight and the VA flight on the same PNR/reservation?
If 1 PNR the risk is not yours. But may may be tight, but they would not have sold if below the MCT (min connection time). Does not allow for much delay in the UA flight, but should be OK. You stay airside and do not formally enter Australia. Just go through the transit door. At 07:00 SYD is very busy with many incoming wide body long haul flights arriving.

100's to 1000's of people do airside connections every day. No "VIP help" that I am aware of. If you are a "VIP", you would not need to ask.

If separate tickets you will want/need to get to get UA to interline baggage.
That may not work UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

If separate tickets and you need to go landside to check in, you may or may not make the VA flight.
Will depend on time to get through immigration, customs & quarantine.

Depending on your passport you may need an Au transit visa or a full visa if going land side

Fiji Airlines fly LAX-Fiji non stop: a better option?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 23, 2018 at 7:10 pm Reason: fixing UA link
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Thanks to everyone upthread for the tips on a meeting place!
BadgerBoi likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
(It looks like someone updated the Wiki, but didn't actually mention it here, so...)

The T-bus between terminals is now free! That's right - Sydney has now left the ranks of third-world airports where you actually need to pay to transfer between terminals!

The QF or VA buses will still generally remain a better option if you're eligible for them (with the possible exception of D->I where TBus could be faster than the VA bus), but it's good to finally have a free option for everyone.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Domestic to International Connection QF-->QR

Having read through all the useful information, could I confirm:

Arrive SYD from CBR @ 1810 on a Monday. Connecting to QR 909 @ 2100. J class both flights, and on separate PNR's. My wife and I will have 3-4 suitcases plus hand luggage.

When we arrive into SYD T3, we can either take a taxi or an Uber to T1. While the taxi drivers may not like it, it will be easier then using the train.

I am assuming we will not be able to through check our luggage (interline) from CBR to NBO (via SYD, DOH) or QF/QR.

Would the above be correct?

TIA
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF will not interline to QR on separate PNR's. You can ask polity, but expect to be declined
QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]
https://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf...hecked-baggage (click "through checked baggage")

There is also a free landside bus T3/T2 to T1.

A taxi driver will not be happy, but they should not refuse a fare. They can wait a long time. Would be the 1 time where a good tip would help.

If on the off chance QF CBR do interline checked baggage you can get the (free) QF airside bus from Gate 15 (inside security) to T1.

Before the silly "no interlining on separate tickets" was introduced it would have been easy.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QF will not interline to QR on separate PNR's. You can ask polity, but expect to be declined
QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]
https://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf...hecked-baggage (click "through checked baggage")

There is also a free landside bus T3/T2 to T1.

A taxi driver will not be happy, but they should not refuse a fare. They can wait a long time. Would be the 1 time where a good tip would help.

If on the off chance QF CBR do interline checked baggage you can get the (free) QF airside bus from Gate 15 (inside security) to T1.

Before the silly "no interlining on separate tickets" was introduced it would have been easy.
Thanks Mwenzeni
Old May 21, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm flying SYD-NAN later this week on FJ in Y. I'm oneworld Emerald (AA Executive Platinum) and understand I can access the Express Path security through that, but don't think I will based on my FJ flight. Is it possible to stop by an AA or QF counter and get an Express Path pass on account of my oneworld Emerald status even through I'm flying FJ?
Old May 21, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by potus18
I'm flying SYD-NAN later this week on FJ in Y. I'm oneworld Emerald (AA Executive Platinum) and understand I can access the Express Path security through that, but don't think I will based on my FJ flight. Is it possible to stop by an AA or QF counter and get an Express Path pass on account of my oneworld Emerald status even through I'm flying FJ?
Not really a SYD airport question.
As you are not flying a Oneworld airline you do not have an express path pass entitlement due to OW status.
But if you want to wait in the QF Y queue you could ask. Or the AA queue if it is open.

Anyway, an express path pass is no great advantage in my experience. Security line keeps moving.
Then if an eligible e-passport Smartgate. Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 21, 2018 at 9:28 pm
Old May 22, 2018, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Not really a SYD airport question.
As you are not flying a Oneworld airline you do not have an express path pass entitlement due to OW status.
But if you want to wait in the QF Y queue you could ask. Or the AA queue if it is open.

Anyway, an express path pass is no great advantage in my experience. Security line keeps moving.
Then if an eligible e-passport Smartgate. Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration

In my experience there has always been a huge line for security and a very short wait for the express pass. Don't even try going through the express route without a pass. I momentarily lost my pass and showed them my SQ Suites boarding pass and they told me that wasn't enough and I'd have to go over to the regular massive line without it. I had a DYKWIA moment and said I refuse to go over there until finally she relented. I found it after I had taken about 5 steps through security.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:59 pm
sgh
Suspended

Programs: AA 2 MM, AA Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I will be departing SYD on AA 72 for LAX and will be in business class. I will be staying the night before at Sydney Marriott at Circular Quay. Is it okay for me to leave the Marriott by taxi at 7:15 am to make it comfortably on the flight? I believe there is express immigration clearance for Business Class passengers or am I mistaken? Should I be leaving earlier or is 7:15 am departure from Marriott reasonable? Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sgh
I will be departing SYD on AA 72 for LAX and will be in business class. I will be staying the night before at Sydney Marriott at Circular Quay. Is it okay for me to leave the Marriott by taxi at 7:15 am to make it comfortably on the flight? I believe there is express immigration clearance for Business Class passengers or am I mistaken? Should I be leaving earlier or is 7:15 am departure from Marriott reasonable? Thanks.
AA72 leaving at 10:15am? On a weekday?
So 3:00hr before your flight departs.
At 07:15 you will be in the peak of the morning traffic snarl.
At that time the train may be quicker and you would be going the opposite direction to most people.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:22 pm
sgh
Suspended

Programs: AA 2 MM, AA Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
AA72 leaving at 10:15am? On a weekday?
So 3:00hr before your flight departs.
At 07:15 you will be in the peak of the morning traffic snarl.
At that time the train may be quicker and you would be going the opposite direction to most people.
I will have too much luggage to take the train. I will need to take a taxi. Should I be leaving earlier? Thanks.

Last edited by sgh; Jun 21, 2018 at 4:22 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sgh
I will have too much luggage to take the train. I will need to take a taxi. Should I be leaving earlier? Thanks.
Leaving at 7:15 will give you ample time to make the sixty minute cut-off. Terminal 1 at SYD can be congested early morning because there is a big chunk of flights coming and going. That's the congestion to worry more about than Southern Cross Drive or the Eastern Distributor. Worst case it'll take you an hour or so, best case 20 minutes.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by sgh
Yes there is an.Express Path for business passengers. Went through Express immigration and security last Saturday morning and it took all of 5 minutes.

I like Rydges Airport Hotel as it is 5 mins walk from international terminal. I found some other airport hotels wouldn't pick me up as the trip was so short. The trip from circular quay would be worth their time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.