A simple rant...

Old Sep 2, 09, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver
A simple rant...

So I'm at 24,955 EQM for the year and have a trip (booked in F) for the end of September that will push me over to SE. I am looking at booking a flight to Europe mid-October and would like to take advantage of the exit rows on the A330s (it's the only way I can fly at 6'8), so I sent a simple email expressing this to NWA to see if they would possibly advance me SE qualification and I could happily make my reservations for October. Unfortunately, here's the response I received:

Thank you for contacting WorldPerks.

Unfortunately, there are no exceptions to the guidelines for qualifying
for WorldPerks Elite status.

Thank you for choosing Northwest, KLM, Delta and our SkyTeam Alliance
airlines. We value your patronage and consider it a privilege to serve
your travel needs.

Sincerely,

Audrey Bella
WorldPerks Customer Service Center
Chances are that by the time I earn SE on Sept 25, the seats will be priced above what they are now and that will deter me from purchase, or the flights with available premium seats will be taken; either way, I'll probably not end up going to Europe in October. A shame that a company could be so short sighted when it comes to the most simple issue of customer service.
Old Sep 2, 09, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by publicmsu View Post
So I'm at 24,955 EQM for the year and have a trip (booked in F) for the end of September that will push me over to SE. I am looking at booking a flight to Europe mid-October and would like to take advantage of the exit rows on the A330s (it's the only way I can fly at 6'8), so I sent a simple email expressing this to NWA to see if they would possibly advance me SE qualification and I could happily make my reservations for October. Unfortunately, here's the response I received:

Chances are that by the time I earn SE on Sept 25, the seats will be priced above what they are now and that will deter me from purchase, or the flights with available premium seats will be taken; either way, I'll probably not end up going to Europe in October. A shame that a company could be so short sighted when it comes to the most simple issue of customer service.
Why not just go on a quick mileage run ....

and I here MSU will win Sat... don't know which one though. <lol>

Bob H

Bob H
Old Sep 2, 09, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First

They have been very strict on this over the years but it is not just NW...all of the programs require you get the status first for obvious reasons.
Old Sep 2, 09, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Your best bet would be to book the flight, then call to see if they will assign you the exit row over the phone based on your current EQMs and what you have booked.
Old Sep 2, 09, 2:10 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriot, Starwood, American, United

I'm not really sure why you feel they should grant you the status.

It could potentially have a negative impact on NW/DL revenue. For example, what if you have to take a last minute trip in the coming weeks. You stated you have shown a propensity to book in F. You might potentially make the decision to book that last minute trip in economy rather than F in hopes of scoring an upgrade with your status, thus diluting revenue.

Also, if they bump you up before your trip in F on Sept 25th, you will get 25%bonus miles when in fact you dont really deserve them for that flight. May be a small cost, but imagine if they did this for every person who is close to an elite threshold?

They have to have guidelines and draw the line somewhere to protect revenue and to be fair to all customers.
Old Sep 2, 09, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; HH Gold; Accor Gold
Book now and get the seat later if still available. I have to say that I find your post a bit confusing.

Is the only reason to go to Europe is to have an exit seat? Surely, a trip to Europe is worth a few hours of discomfort.
Old Sep 2, 09, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fromYXU View Post
Book now and get the seat later if still available. I have to say that I find your post a bit confusing.

Is the only reason to go to Europe is to have an exit seat? Surely, a trip to Europe is worth a few hours of discomfort.
Standard coach on a 10 hour flight to Rome just isn't worth it at my height. So to answer your question, I plan my flights based on exit row availability and ticket price. Even business class seats are uncomfortable at my height (service is exponentially better), so the best way for me to travel is in one of the few exit row seats.

As a side, I understand they have policies, but it's a simple request to help a loyal customer out. I've been flying with NWA for over 15 years now, had SE or GE 4 of the last 5; just throw me a bone... as the title says, a simple rant.
Old Sep 2, 09, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
They have been very strict on this over the years but it is not just NW...all of the programs require you get the status first for obvious reasons.
I figured it was worth a try based on the soft-landings that I've read about for individuals, and elite qualification at the end of the year that was oh so close. Figured this being an oh so close with the potential for another flight might help my cause, but no dice.
Old Sep 2, 09, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CA flyer View Post
I'm not really sure why you feel they should grant you the status.

It could potentially have a negative impact on NW/DL revenue. For example, what if you have to take a last minute trip in the coming weeks. You stated you have shown a propensity to book in F. You might potentially make the decision to book that last minute trip in economy rather than F in hopes of scoring an upgrade with your status, thus diluting revenue.

Also, if they bump you up before your trip in F on Sept 25th, you will get 25%bonus miles when in fact you dont really deserve them for that flight. May be a small cost, but imagine if they did this for every person who is close to an elite threshold?

They have to have guidelines and draw the line somewhere to protect revenue and to be fair to all customers.
Unfortunately my last minute flight is on AA due to the corporate contracts. Otherwise this wouldn't be an issue and I'd be flying my way to SE 2 weeks early, and have more faith in ticket prices / seating remaining attractive.
Old Sep 2, 09, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Why not just go on a quick mileage run ....

and I here MSU will win Sat... don't know which one though. <lol>

Bob H

Bob H
The Spartans will come out victorious!

As for a mileage run, I looked at a quick jaunt, but nothing really makes financial sense right now. I also looked into the Hilton Honors promotion, sadly those miles don't post for another 4-6 weeks after the promotion ends in October.
Old Sep 2, 09, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
DTW-CHI is as low as $139, same day return.

It's either that or start the trip as a Base member. It will take 1-3 days for the mileage to post and then at least another day for the status to update. Then you usually have to remove/add your WP # in the record.

And then sometimes it still doesn't work. For my first upgrade (occurred while we were flying ATL-AMS) after our return to ATL we had to ask the gate agent to verify our status & manually force us into the upgrade list.
Old Sep 2, 09, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeMpls View Post
DTW-CHI is as low as $139, same day return.

It's either that or start the trip as a Base member. It will take 1-3 days for the mileage to post and then at least another day for the status to update. Then you usually have to remove/add your WP # in the record.

And then sometimes it still doesn't work. For my first upgrade (occurred while we were flying ATL-AMS) after our return to ATL we had to ask the gate agent to verify our status & manually force us into the upgrade list.
Need to update my profile... I'm out of AUS now.

I've been eyeing an early morning AUS - IAH while the Continental miles still qualify, even at 1/2 EQM. Cost is about the same as the DTW - CHI you mentioned.
Old Sep 2, 09, 3:31 pm

Programs: NW GE
Um, why not just book the ticket and then when you get Silver move up to 10 or 29? I don't see what the issue is... highly unlikely all 8 of those seats will be assigned before the day of the flight.
Old Sep 2, 09, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL SM Diamond, AA Ex. Platinum, Ph.D in STFU
As a side, I understand they have policies, but it's a simple request to help a loyal customer out. I've been flying with NWA for over 15 years now, had SE or GE 4 of the last 5; just throw me a bone... as the title says, a simple rant.
Just an FYI, you were loyal to the wrong airline for the last 15 years, its Delta now. Havent you realized from all the posts in tnhis forum that NWA FF dont mean squat to Delta?
Old Sep 2, 09, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I'm pretty sure DL.com allows anyone to book exit rows on Intl itineraries. Don't know your dates, but I did a flight search while not logged in as Medallion and exit row seats came up as available. I'd try that route if I were you. PS I'm 6'7 and totally understand the value of the exit row!
PPS I've never been uncomfortable in business or first

Search this Thread