Wiki Posts
Search

012 or DL stock?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Question 012 or DL stock?

Hi all, the search tool isn't working for me, but I know this has been discussed here and I simply don't remember. Is there any sense that booking via DL for DL operated flights is a wiser move than booking through nwa.com? Is there any difference? I know for a while upgrades were issues but it seems those might be ironed out a bit better now. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, current level: tin
Originally Posted by CGNC
Hi all, the search tool isn't working for me, but I know this has been discussed here and I simply don't remember. Is there any sense that booking via DL for DL operated flights is a wiser move than booking through nwa.com? Is there any difference? I know for a while upgrades were issues but it seems those might be ironed out a bit better now. Any thoughts?
The CW around here has been to book DL flights on DL.com and NW flights on nwa.com. The only time you should switch the booking around is if there is a cost difference between the two (something I have seen from time to time). I prefer the NW site (who doesn't) but the problem is when you book on nw.com for DL flights res can have some problems playing with the DL itineraries. I know when I recently canceled a nwa.com booked DL flight it took some extra forms at time because DL was involved.

The only difference might be is if you have NW elite status. When I've had problems with NW itineraries I've actually called DL and then had them transfer me to the NW elite line to get stuff resolved. If you don't have status on DL and book entirely with them you may have to do the same thing to talk to an elite agent.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:29 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
In my experience, no difference at all. DL-operated with NW flight numbers and NW-operated with DL flight numbers were the bigger problem with upgrades, not whose ticket stock was used.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
If you are simply concerned with upgrades then the golden rule is DO NOT BOOK CODESHARES on either airline. Do not book DL-operated/NW-coded or NW-operated/DL-coded. NWA seems to handle upgrades slightly better, even in codeshare situations, but it's not guaranteed. On the other hand, Delta will not upgrade any flight that is booked as a codeshare.

Otherwise, there is really no difference between booking on 006 or 012 ticket stock. You can even book DL-coded/operated flights on 012 ticket stock and receive upgrades with no problem. I've done this several times.

-RM
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
On the other hand, Delta will not upgrade any flight that is booked as a codeshare.

-RM
I dont believe this is true. NW and DL flights are technically all the same now and the upgrades should process in the same way. If it's not done by the computer, it can be done manually if there is availability.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I dont believe this is true. NW and DL flights are technically all the same now and the upgrades should process in the same way. If it's not done by the computer, it can be done manually if there is availability.
Sorry, but it absolutely is true. DL will NOT upgrade a DL-operated, NW-coded flight. Their IT systems won't handle it. It is still the case today based on everyone else's reports.

The rule of thumb is this: don't book codeshares, period. NW seems to be able to upgrade NW-operated, DL-coded flights more easily but it's not always 100%. DL is at 0%.

And no, NW and DL are not technically the same. They are two separate airlines operating under two separate operating certificates. These won't be combined for several more months.

Also, the reservations systems (PARS/NW vs Deltamatic/DL) won't be combined until Q1 of next year. At that point when things are being booked under one reservation system then a lot of the codeshares and the problems that come along with them will disappear.

-RM
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/2MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Sorry, but it absolutely is true. DL will NOT upgrade a DL-operated, NW-coded flight. Their IT systems won't handle it. It is still the case today based on everyone else's reports.

The rule of thumb is this: don't book codeshares, period. NW seems to be able to upgrade NW-operated, DL-coded flights more easily but it's not always 100%. DL is at 0%.

Also, the reservations systems (PARS/NW vs Deltamatic/DL) won't be combined until Q1 of next year. At that point when things are being booked under one reservation system then a lot of the codeshares and the problems that come along with them will disappear.

-RM

Thanks for your feedback. This is very helpful information. I just called DL and wasnt surprised when they said dont worry it will be fine. Yea right!

According to her, the cutover on Oct. 1 should have fixed this problem meaning that you are referring to...I said are DL/NW both on the same reservation systems. Her reply, yes...but they arent as you mentioned.

My question is, can I call day of departure or ask at the airport to be added to the upgrade list? Why would they refuse to do it?

She couldnt touch this reservation because it was all NW. I do have another one with NW-coded, DL-operated flights that also has DL-coded, DL-operated flights. On that res, she was able to change the NW-coded flight to have a (V) status next to it (although my T class of service for the same flight remained below it indicating the waitlist for an upgrade).

Perhaps one of the DL res people on here could help us clarify this issue. Thanks RobonLI for your feedback in helping us all get to the bottom of this. I would hate to end up in Y if there are upgradeable seats simply because of a technical issue like this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.