Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Does the free baggage allowance extend to non-elites on same reservation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

I’m SE going to Vegas with a group of friends in October. Right now it is me and 4 of my friends on the same reservation. I’m the only one with status. I understand I would need to get myself on a separate reservation to have a shot at being upgraded. I would consider not doing this if I could save my friends some money on baggage fees. (I’m not sure if this will even be an issue. I could do carry-on only, but I’m not sure about all my friends)

How are my changes of upgrading anyway? Leave MSP on a Friday back on Monday.

Thanks
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
I do not believe elite status extends the baggage allowance to companion passengers, and a silver would probably not be likely to hold much sway. However, if you went carry-on only, then you could check two companion bags under your name.

Regarding the upgrade, I've not personally flown on this route, but it is my understanding is that it would be very difficult to come by upgrades on for a low-level elite on weekends such as your trip. A silver probably doesn't have much chance for Fridays MSP-LAS and Sundays or Mondays LAS-MSP. Someone else may want to update if I'm mistaken, though.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mrn0363
I’m SE going to Vegas with a group of friends in October. Right now it is me and 4 of my friends on the same reservation. I’m the only one with status. I understand I would need to get myself on a separate reservation to have a shot at being upgraded. I would consider not doing this if I could save my friends some money on baggage fees. (I’m not sure if this will even be an issue. I could do carry-on only, but I’m not sure about all my friends)

How are my changes of upgrading anyway? Leave MSP on a Friday back on Monday.

Thanks
Any passengers in the same PNR as an elite member receive the same baggage allowance. The PNR will also be remarked if it was divided showing the original PNR.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
This all depends on whether you are flying NW metal straight through. I (plat) took the family to OGG PHL>MSP>SEA>OGG. We were on NW domestically, then Delta for the SEA>OGG>SEA leg. When we checked in in Philly (via the kiosk) everyone had free baggage allowances. When we checked in at OGG (live agent), I was informed that only I had the allowance. I rose a stink about it, and they called over a supervisor who backed up the agent. A second supervisor overheard my argument and she interjected that it was not Delta's current policy to allow free bags for everyone in a PNR, only the eligible person.

I was persistant and adamant that I was told by NW (who I booked the ticket through) that the allowance would be passed along to everyone. they finally relented and waived any fees. I then asked about priority baggage tags and was told "Don't press your luck. We only do that for business class".

I do not like Delta!
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NWA012
Any passengers in the same PNR as an elite member receive the same baggage allowance. The PNR will also be remarked if it was divided showing the original PNR.
For NWA domestic this is the case. Make sure when you check-in everyone checks in together, or else the PNR will be split.

Per NWA012's comments, YMMV if it is split as the PNR holds the splitting info.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Well, I stand corrected. Strike my statement from the record!
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
For NWA domestic this is the case. Make sure when you check-in everyone checks in together, or else the PNR will be split.

I know recently they waived the bags for my family on an award ticket, when I paid for mine. The tickets were linked after the fact, not sure if that is what did it or the airport just waived them.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox

The PNR is remarked, however....The baggage allowance is extended to non-elites who are in the same PNR only...If you divide the record for an upg or any reason, then the companions will be charged baggage fees....IMO as a Silver Mbr, you are better off staying booked together and trying to get yourself and your friends Select Seats/Exit rows etc....If there happened to be R class avail at the gate, then a gate agt could upg the Silver mbr....
Trust me on this, I get the call almost daily when someone has divided themselves in error.....
Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by steex
Regarding the upgrade, I've not personally flown on this route, but it is my understanding is that it would be very difficult to come by upgrades on for a low-level elite on weekends such as your trip. A silver probably doesn't have much chance for Fridays MSP-LAS and Sundays or Mondays LAS-MSP. Someone else may want to update if I'm mistaken, though.
Actually, MSP->LAS Friday and LAS->MSP Monday are pretty easy routes to get upgraded on. My guess is that it's not an elite heavy route, just a lot of no status tourists. I did 1x MSP->LAS (Fri 5:15PM), 1x MSP->LAS (Fri 9:40PM), 2x MSP->LAS(Mon 12:50AM) and 1x MSP->LAS(Mon 2:15PM) in the last 3 months. I was upgraded on all flights 4 days out (as a gold though). There always seem to be a few seats left till the day of too. I'm already upgraded for this Friday 9:40PM MSP->LAS. And looking at from the seat map, it looks like I'm the only person in F right now.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Thank you for all the advice. Its a long way out, so I'll just stay on the same PNR for the time being.

Its great to have a resource like FT. I searched all over NWA.com and couldn't find the answer.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 1:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ResSalesGuy
The PNR is remarked, however....The baggage allowance is extended to non-elites who are in the same PNR only...If you divide the record for an upg or any reason, then the companions will be charged baggage fees....IMO as a Silver Mbr, you are better off staying booked together and trying to get yourself and your friends Select Seats/Exit rows etc....If there happened to be R class avail at the gate, then a gate agt could upg the Silver mbr....
Trust me on this, I get the call almost daily when someone has divided themselves in error.....
Policy is to waive bag fees even if the PNR was split.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Is this written? Good to know, because when I accidentally split the PNR (not intentional for a companion UG) the agent said she would "make the exception."

Good to know either way. Does that mean all GE/SE's should split if companions exist (or PE's with more than 1 companion)?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:33 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I too would like to see this in writing. Otherwise I am very suspicious though I appreciate your input.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 5:52 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Am pretty sure the additional allowance does not apply for overseas itineraries - EU to Asia for example - where I get 20kg excess but my companion does not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.