Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reduced MSP WC Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:18 am

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Originally Posted by mersk862
DL told us on Thursday that the clubs need to make money (hence, the clubs that closed were losing money).
OK, please enlighten me. Just how does one determine that a particular Club is losing money?

A. Because there are not enough "locals" in that city who have memberships?
B. Because not enough members who live in other cities actually visit that Club?
C. Because that airport charges too much rent for the square footage?
D. Because everyone who goes there drinks a lot of the booze and eats a lot of the cookies, etc?
E. Because that city is not generating enough "premium fare" passengers? (Not that paying a high fare actually gets you into the Club, unless you are traveling internationally in BE!)

Perhaps I am being simplistic here, but it would seem that the Club exists as a "network" of individual locations. The income to support such a network comes from annual memberships, and as long as that money is coming in it should be allocated to maintaining the entire network. Should the income drop, the expenses would of course have to be lowered accordingly. And if it is projected that adding a Club will result in an increase in revenue, then the right move is to "build it and they will come." For example, the new SkyTeam Lounge at LHR, which is a huge capital expenditure solely on the speculation that it will result in an increase in premium traffic on member airlines serving that airport. But Lounges in international gateway cities are totally different from domestic Lounges. The international Lounges are supported by the BE fares that pass through them. The domestic Lounges are supported by the dues-paying members, who expect to get something in return for that annual membership fee.

In comparison, would you pay the same dues at your Country Club, if they decided to close the back 9, and become only a 9-hole course??????
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta PE, SPG PE
I've always justified my membership dues to my company as a cost savings because I grab a little grub at the lounge rather than go to restaurants at the airports. This is no longer valid and i'll be dropping my membership as there's no way I'm going to open 20 Biscoff cookies and call it a meal.

Another Delta enhancement.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
I'm sitting in the "C" club at noon. You know, lunch time. Apples, those weird little cookies and Nutella. I could groove on the Nutella if I had something good to put it on. But I'd trade it in a flash for some cheese and veggies.

Grrrr!
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I am on a trial membership and was going to convert to a full membership. That is not going to happen after the changes I have seen in less than a month. It does give Delta a personification though, "I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."
Old Jul 1, 2009, 9:25 am

Just opened an email this morning from NW that further rubs my snackless nose in dirt! It directs to the quote "Our WorldClubs members have already experienced our commitment to service in our exclusive lounges, and that same dedication to excellence continues." I only hope the Delta execs reverse course and honor this "dedication."

Unfortunately they continue with the "enhancement" routine stating. "This commitment will allow WorldClubs to remain the premier lounge for business travelers as we introduce several improvements and enhancements for the coming year"

Please Delta, give us back the old WorldClub!

Last edited by KenfromDE; Jul 1, 2009 at 9:32 am
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
MSP syndrome is spreading...

Shame on Delta for closing the WorldClub at LAX and NOT maintaining the same amenities such as snacks that the WorldClub had. The SkyClub agent tells me that cookies, snack mix, carrots & cheese are "only after 4PM". All that is in the lounge right now is pretzels and dried fruit mix. And to think I renewed my membership...
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I'm at the DTW WC by the 60's gates (north end, I believe). Not only did the olives/hummus/crackers disappear promptly at 7PM, but we discovered that EVERY SINGLE PACKET of celery expired either on 6/12 or 6/19/09. It's 7/1/09 today...

I told the agent in the front, who said she would 'ask about it.' Have been here an hour and haven't heard anything back...

UPDATE (20 minutes later)
Just spoke to the kitchen staff at the lounge. I walked back towards the drinks area, and saw her checking out the celery packets. I told her all the packets were bad, to which she replied: "My manager said they're still OK to eat, even though the date on them says 6/19..."

I asked the lady whether her manager was going to eat the old celery, to which she didn't respond...

Last edited by bostonbali; Jul 1, 2009 at 6:15 pm Reason: updated with response from WC staff
Old Jul 1, 2009, 8:41 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
I almost dread even visiting a WC in DTW.....Will DL start charging for a shower there in the future?

And the grass isn't so green on the Pres Club side....we are getting RCCs....Ugggg
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:39 am
CDF

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
My club membership expires this fall and I was sorely tempted to renew my membership when the discounted renewal emails went out. In some respects I'm now glad I didn't renew at that point in time given a lot of the negative changes that are apparently taking place. I guess for those that renewed their memberships under the discount promotion we're now seeing the implementation of the "discount" service that goes with it.

On another note, I can attest to some of the comments posted regarding the DTW WC/SC. I just flew out last Sunday and usually hit the club for quick break. Got in the club slightly before 7 pm, checked my flight status and then walked over to see if I could grab some cheese and crackers since I wasn't sure if we'd be getting food on the plane. As others have pointed out, no cheese, no crackers, no ranch dip - only cookies, pretzels and nutella. It actually threw me a minute to see the nutella since I started looking for something to use it with and then realized they must have expected people to use it with the pretzels and cookies (not my first choice of use).

I've had a club membership for the past 12 years but I'm now seriously considering whether I want to renew or if I'll start looking at one of the credit cards that gives access to multiple lounges. On my next visit to the club in DTW I'll ask for a comment card and who at the club I can provide feedback to. I don't think it'll go very far but one can always try. I feel bad for the folks that work the club in DTW since I've gotten to know a lot of them (by sight if not by name) and IMHO they actually do a very good job. Unfortunately I think these folks are caught in the middle and the mandate for these changes is coming from higher up in the food chain at DL/NW. I can understand cost-cutting if the airline actually provided the clubs as a "perk" but since I'm paying for my membership, why should I now start paying more for diminished service? It would seem logical that if I'm paying more for a membership that the services received should actually improve and not decrease. Oh, wait a minute, logical....decisions by airline management....I forgot for a minute what industry I was talking about
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:26 am
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
I never considered not renewing....but this devaluation and my changed flying patterns leading to less DL/NW flights has me considering it . The lack of snacks isn't a deal breaker, but its just one more thing on a growing list of complaints thanks to the merger.

Still, despite less benefits (and more cost to renew), I can't imagine not having access and the support during irrops. Darn, maybe the DL bean counters are on to something.....its really frustrating. I have until October, will have to see whta my flying patterns are like then.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Ridiculous.

Up until an hour ago when I received my DL Reserve Card app I was a bit miffed that I had paid for a 3-year Skyclub membership last year, which basically wipes out most of the value of the Reserve card ($3whatever hundred dollar fee, but Skyclub access included.) So I figure I might pick up the reserve card when my Skyclub membership finally expired.

Now I see I have been bamboozled.

Does anyone know if state laws require that memberships be refunded on a pro-rata basis? Thank god I wasn't stupid enough to buy a lifetime membership.

Anyway, that pretty much kills the excuse to pay $300 for a reserve card.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Oh, and the worst part is the double-whammy. You pretty much have to win the lottery to get actual food in F anymore, and on top of that, you can't even get food in the Skyclubs either!

So that pretty much eliminates the benefit of being able to overlap eating and air travel.

I don't think DL realizes the effects of disgruntled STARVING passengers.

Actually, maybe they do - maybe this is just a scheme to prevent Skyclub food availability from undercutting in-flight food purchases.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: DELTA
Unhappy Reduced SEA SC Service

[QUOTE=Burj;12005007]I am sitting in the SEA SC with some time on my hnds, so I thought I would post a few pictures of the current food offerings (mid-day) out here to my Facebook account (public pictures).

The Empty Refrigerator:
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1673336_n.jpg

The Nutella:
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2076956_n.jpg

The Biscoff's:
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...9_605383_n.jpg

The Spicy Asian Snack Mix:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2716612_n.jpg

Currently, they have out the spicy asian snack mix, dried fruit, the ever present cinamon Biscoff's and some sort of new fangled soy-peanut butter spread called Nutella (with no crackers other than the Biscoff's to spread it on). To my chagrin (although from all of the posts on FT on this subject - I was not surprised)... there was NO TILAMOOK CHEESE available! This is a major bummer for me, since I do like to have cheese to get my protein intake requirements met after having had Gastric Bypass Surgery last November. This stinks! In addition to the two scathing TTU's and E-mail Us complaints I have filed on this - I am giong to be calling the head SC Management on Monday to "re-negotiate" my 3 year re-up which actually doesn't kick in until the end of the year. I'm thinking a $100.00 rebate at this point to cover the diminished offerings.

-A
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Poopdeck90210
....and some sort of new fangled soy-peanut butter spread called Nutella (with no crackers other than the Biscoff's to spread it on). To my chagrin (although from all of the posts on FT on this subject - I was not surprised)... there was NO TILAMOOK CHEESE available! This is a major bummer for me, since I do like to have cheese to get my protein intake requirements
Nutella is actually a hazelnut spread, not peanut butter. It is from Europe and is very popular their. Alas like many foods, the European version is great, but the American version uses cheaper ingrediants and is not nearly as good...

I like Nutella and I LOVE biscoff cookies, but spreading Nutella on Biscoff is just asking for diabetic shock!

I agree that the cheese was actually really important as it was the sole source of protein available in the clubs... If price is a problem, heck even boiled eggs would be a welcomed source of protein. What do eggs cost?

At a certain point, why even bother! I am totally glad I didn't renew my CRC membership...what a joke... What irks me the most is that they can't even be saving that much money!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
[QUOTE=Poopdeck90210;12005617]
Originally Posted by Burj
In addition to the two scathing TTU's and E-mail Us complaints I have filed on this - I am giong to be calling the head SC Management on Monday to "re-negotiate" my 3 year re-up which actually doesn't kick in until the end of the year. I'm thinking a $100.00 rebate at this point to cover the diminished offerings.

-A
Perhaps a note to AMEX about how worthless this makes their Reserve card benefits appear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.