Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

FA's Hate New DL Preflight Safety Talk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA's Hate New DL Preflight Safety Talk

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:44 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Flying today I heard another set of FA's lamenting how difficult and challenging the new pre-flight safety talk is. I've heard this from 3-4 crews by now, and it's not just "we memorized the old and don't know the new", but they all have complained about how difficult it is to say.

One FA went so far as to say the script was written by "Jane Fonda on something high..."

So then on my last flight I paid attention to the script, and listened as the FA had difficulty saying it. I agree, the words don't seem to run well together.

I asked the FA about it, she said it was so hard and "terrible." She also commented, "you should see how much I skipped."

Sure Deltalina can say this in a video, but anyone else noticing this?
Union workers will complain about anything.

I've flown on enough DL flights I have it practically memorized - it's really not that difficult. Show a little encouragement about your job is all! (not you, but the FAs)
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by szerfam
Lets face it kool aid boy, we who loved our airline think the new Delta sucks, so get over it.
You airline no longer exists - who should get over it?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
Quite a contrast to the AF takeover of KLM. Delta has really messed up this transition, and to what effect? Slower implementation of product uniformity -- and preserving prior service levels -- would have gone a long way to winning over new customers and employees.
Wow from the other side I think they've done a great job so far merging the airlines - it's surely not as bad as the US Air debacle.

I don't know what airline you guys flew, but the DL frontline staff are far superior to the disgruntled NW frontline staff I've encountered.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by jfulcher
Union workers will complain about anything.

I've flown on enough DL flights I have it practically memorized - it's really not that difficult. Show a little encouragement about your job is all! (not you, but the FAs)
I can see you're ready to have an honest, unbiased, and fair discussion about the topic given your first sentence.

I've had plenty of "unencouraged" Delta flight attendants, and they're not unionized. So, there goes that theory.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by secretsea18
Also:
Automatic reticketing of upgraded reservations, with instant confirmation of your upgrade and seat selections
Ability to OLCI for upgraded domestic flights
I can OLCI for upgraded domestic flights.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I can see you're ready to have an honest, unbiased, and fair discussion about the topic given your first sentence.

I've had plenty of "unencouraged" Delta flight attendants, and they're not unionized. So, there goes that theory.
Their comments are just so typical union workers. In my line of work I get to encounter a whole variety of union workers and their complaints. They are petty at best and they mostly complain when they might actually have to do WORK.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Interestingly enough, on a recent DL flight, while sitting in FC next to a DL FA who was headed home, I commented that I loved the new DL safety video with Deltalina and the other FAs. He commented that most DL FAs hated the video, but not because of the wording, but because of Deltalina herself! He said that they resented the fact that she had her lips blown up for the video, as well as having had other work done on her for the video. I thought it was rather interesting that he shared that with me, but then again we were all headed to NY so as a fellow NYer, I had no problem with his candor!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:11 am

Their comments are just so typical union workers. In my line of work I get to encounter a whole variety of union workers and their complaints. They are petty at best and they mostly complain when they might actually have to do WORK.
Way to paint with a broad brush. I think you're just digging your credibility hole deeper an' deeper...
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lotalota
Not sure if you've been on a NW flight lately, but these kind of discussions are going on everywhere. If it's not FA's, pilots, gate staff, WC staff, it's pax. In the flights I've been on lately I hear it everywhere. No one seems happy about any of the changes DL has brought to us, and DL has done nothing to make us optimistic about their way. It has been especially loud since our gates, clubs, and planes have started to be re-branded.
In general I've seen a mix. I think a lot of the unhappiness came with the sudden changes Mar 30 (new food/beverages/scripts) when it appears that many of them were not aware of the changes. From FT it sounds like they should have known, but then again maybe they didn't.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I'm trying to be positive about the new Delta. The inflight, especially IFE & Power are improvements over NW. Gate agents are a little better too.

However the FF program is why most of us are here on FlyerTalk. And clearly the program, for WorldPerks members, is inferior and significant cuts have been made.

But my biggest problem is the attitude. Maybe it's a Midwest thing, but Beth, Bob and most of the team always played fair: they listened, they were truthful & generous with promotions, corrected mistakes when brought to their attention and always reminded us that our loyalty was appreciated.

Delta/SkyMiles seem to be a 180 of that. Mr. Robertson's arrogance is palpable. Loyalty to him seems fleeting. A different DL exec I had an exchange with seemed to almost imply "aren't you glad we rescued you from NW? we have better inflight!" (He was mum when I mentioned inferior website and loyalty program.)

Inflight is nice, so are the uniforms and so is updated signage everywhere, but they don't make up for loyalty. It's too early to pass judgement, but I have a strong feeling Delta won't be so quick or easy, if ever, to right wrongs and fix problems.
Well stated. I'm doing what I can to be positive. I like some of the new changes: new uniforms, new glassware, IFE/new seats coming to NW planes. But at the same time, I'm not fooled with the smoke and mirrors in some sense with the loss of many of the great FF benefits (SWU's, 125% PE bonus, Comp UG's, lower award levels, Unlimited PE waiver, hot food at 900 miles in F, etc).

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Back to the topic at hand, I'm a little confused about what the ex-NW FAs are complaining about. What is it about their "preflight safety talk" that's so terrible?
Yes, the original topic. My original post was to talk about many FA's think it's not well written and difficult to read. To be honest, I tried to follow along and repeat what they said and I'd have to agree, it's not the most smoothly written.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by dhh1
<SNIP> I think that the biggest problem with the "merger" is that it seems to have dragged on forever.
If you think this is taking a long time, take a look at US/HP.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lotalota
While I haven't read every comment in every thread, I've heard a lot of "get over it" talk which makes me less inclined to do just that.
Honestly, I don't care if former NWA fliers "get over it" or not. It just seems to me that might be a better practice for them. Or if not going to get over it then move on. Now, I absolutely know there is a difference between love it or leave it.
Originally Posted by dhh1
I think that the biggest problem with the "merger" is that it seems to have dragged on forever.
Are you being sarcastic? Half the people here think it is moving too fast.
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Have you ever tried to deal with ASA people in ATL? To me, that's like a special layer of hell.
You are aware that there are no ASA ground staff in ATL anymore, right? Yes, this was/is a problem. Even though it is all Delta now, I am sure a fair amount of people were rehired from their former ASA positions. The special layer of hell, IMHO, is JFK...where it seems that every airline employee, regardless of the airline, is an ....
Wow from the other side I think they've done a great job so far merging the airlines - it's surely not as bad as the US Air debacle.
I am certainly not an insider industry expect, but objectively, hasn't this merger went off about as well as airline mergers go? Or for that matter, any merger?
But at the same time, I'm not fooled with the smoke and mirrors in some sense with the loss of many of the great FF benefits (SWU's, 125% PE bonus, Comp UG's, lower award levels, Unlimited PE waiver, hot food at 900 miles in F, etc).
Now my point is going to be a little bit in the dark on this one. You don't know that all of those benefits would have stayed around had the merger not happened. They definitely wouldn't have if NW had gone out of business. Having said that, no I don't know for certain that they would have changed either....or that NW would have went under. But, the industry is in turmoil and something has to give. I still think that this year that a major will go out of business....and I think that DL-NW are safe basically because of the merger. Lower fuel might put it off for a while...maybe even longer than the year but I saw how fast that stuff fell and I know it might rise that fast too.
Yes, the original topic. My original post was to talk about many FA's think it's not well written and difficult to read. To be honest, I tried to follow along and repeat what they said and I'd have to agree, it's not the most smoothly written.
Exits on the MD-88 are 3 doors, two forward and one rear, four window exits over the wings and an additional exist at the back of the aircraft. It's a script. It's in English. See if they were complaining about something like work schedules or pay, I might have some sympathy but it's a series of words for crying out loud.

Last edited by indufan; Apr 13, 2009 at 2:52 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tonypct
Interestingly enough, on a recent DL flight, while sitting in FC next to a DL FA who was headed home, I commented that I loved the new DL safety video with Deltalina and the other FAs. He commented that most DL FAs hated the video, but not because of the wording, but because of Deltalina herself! He said that they resented the fact that she had her lips blown up for the video, as well as having had other work done on her for the video. I thought it was rather interesting that he shared that with me, but then again we were all headed to NY so as a fellow NYer, I had no problem with his candor!
I sat across the aisle from Deltalina on a lga-atl flight last fall and let me tell you that she looks everything like she does in the video.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
....or that NW would have went under.
I see that you caught yourself there.

I see no evidence that NW was any more susceptible to going under pre-merger than DL was pre-merger. They both needed each other. This was not an HP/US merger or AA/TWA merger. One party -- regardless of your beliefs about unions or IFE -- was not treading water and needing the other to "save it".
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I see that you caught yourself there.

I see no evidence that NW was any more susceptible to going under pre-merger than DL was pre-merger. They both needed each other. This was not an HP/US merger or AA/TWA merger. One party -- regardless of your beliefs about unions or IFE -- was not treading water and needing the other to "save it".
I didn't catch myself. It's the way I have always thought. They needed each other. No, NW wasn't any more susceptible than DL was...they were both in trying times. In fact, as I have said before, the stock swap makes it close to a merger of equals.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Also:
Automatic reticketing of upgraded reservations, with instant confirmation of your upgrade and seat selections
Ability to OLCI for upgraded domestic flights
I can OLCI for upgraded domestic flights.
Yes, there has been no problem for the Medallions but there has been a big problem for the NW WP members with OLCI if we had been lucky enough to be upgraded. Many of us still can't do OLCI for DL flights when upgraded, especially if there is a combination of DL + NW operated flights on our itineraries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.