Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

FA's Hate New DL Preflight Safety Talk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

Flying today I heard another set of FA's lamenting how difficult and challenging the new pre-flight safety talk is. I've heard this from 3-4 crews by now, and it's not just "we memorized the old and don't know the new", but they all have complained about how difficult it is to say.

One FA went so far as to say the script was written by "Jane Fonda on something high..."

So then on my last flight I paid attention to the script, and listened as the FA had difficulty saying it. I agree, the words don't seem to run well together.

I asked the FA about it, she said it was so hard and "terrible." She also commented, "you should see how much I skipped."

Sure Deltalina can say this in a video, but anyone else noticing this?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:39 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Are they obliged to wag their fingers during the talk?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA *G
Noticed on the A330 today they were showing the new video. Our F/A really didn't like it, nothing the finger wagging is "offensive to a lot of people". Our captain also insisted on referring it to it as an NW flight. Good for him.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Darn. How am I supposed to memorize them?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I don't care whether the FAs like it or not. Similarly, I don't expect them to care about things that I don't like about my job. Smile and get over it. Complaining to passengers about it is unprofessional and doesn't really help the situation.

Last edited by pbarnette; Apr 12, 2009 at 5:39 am
Old Apr 12, 2009, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I don't care whether the FAs like it or not. Similarly, I don't expect them to care about things that I don't like about my job. Smile and get over it. Complaining to passengers about it is unprofessional and doesn't really help the situation.
I don't think the OP said the FA's were complaining about it to customers. Sounds like two FA's were discussing it among themselves, and the OP overheard it.

Don't drink the DL Kool-aid, eh?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I don't think the OP said the FA's were complaining about it to customers. Sounds like two FA's were discussing it among themselves, and the OP overheard it.
In that case, it should never be discussed within earshot of a customer. Beyond that, it is a series of words, surely they can come up with something more important to ..... about.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: DM , MM ,Natl-Exec Elite,HH diamond,SPG gold
Lets face it kool aid boy, we who loved our airline think the new Delta sucks, so get over it.

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:36 am

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Originally Posted by indufan
In that case, it should never be discussed within earshot of a customer. Beyond that, it is a series of words, surely they can come up with something more important to ..... about.
Not sure if you've been on a NW flight lately, but these kind of discussions are going on everywhere. If it's not FA's, pilots, gate staff, WC staff, it's pax. In the flights I've been on lately I hear it everywhere. No one seems happy about any of the changes DL has brought to us, and DL has done nothing to make us optimistic about their way. It has been especially loud since our gates, clubs, and planes have started to be re-branded.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by lotalota
Not sure if you've been on a NW flight lately, but these kind of discussions are going on everywhere. If it's not FA's, pilots, gate staff, WC staff, it's pax. In the flights I've been on lately I hear it everywhere. No one seems happy about any of the changes DL has brought to us, and DL has done nothing to make us optimistic about their way. It has been especially loud since our gates, clubs, and planes have started to be re-branded.
Quite a contrast to the AF takeover of KLM. Delta has really messed up this transition, and to what effect? Slower implementation of product uniformity -- and preserving prior service levels -- would have gone a long way to winning over new customers and employees.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Actually, I have been on a lot of NW flights. Yep, I have heard some complain about the rebranding. As I have said here, what did they expect...to not do it? I have actually from SOME (but admittedly no more than half) NW members on board that they are looking forward to the more flight options that the new airline gives them. And even more say they realize that without the merger, things could have gotten a lot worse. Admittedly, I haven't been back to DTW or MSP since the massive repainting efforts...I only saw the Jetway signs changed in DTW.

What can I say? I think Delta offers superior front line staff, nicer airplanes, more IFE (including live TV) and the best domestic route coverage going. To me, the FF differences are negligible. What matters to me is upgrade availability...and I get that about 90+% of the time...and award availability which I have been finding 100% of the time lately. I don't expect you to agree. Having said this, Jerry Grinstein made me the big Delta fan of late and I am still not sold on Oscar (Richard Anderson). I am still not completely sure he is in touch with the average consumer.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
No one seems happy about any of the changes DL has brought to us,
Really? ANY? Then what were those threads with generally favorable reviews concerning the new duvet/pillows, new drink glasses, water-at-every-seat, etc., about?

Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
Slower implementation of product uniformity -- and preserving prior service levels -- would have gone a long way to winning over new customers and employees.
Let's face it...many of you simply do not like the merger. Period. No amount of slowing down anything is going to make this merger go down any better for many. Slowing things down only drags out the inevitable and postpones the ultimate 'pain or unhappiness'....so why not just get it over and done with now?

If it's not FA's, pilots, gate staff, WC staff, it's pax. In the flights I've been on lately I hear it everywhere. No one seems happy
While I understand the emotion and sentimentality involved in losing the "Red Tail", I think that these days, people should simply be thankful that they still have a job that helps pay the bills, or for us passengers, that we are still able to afford stepping onto an airplane...Changes to brand or service items seem rather paltry in comparison to the general hardships going around, don't they?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing

What can I say? I think Delta offers superior front line staff, nicer airplanes, more IFE (including live TV) and the best domestic route coverage going. To me, the FF differences are negligible. What matters to me is upgrade availability...and I get that about 90+% of the time...and award availability which I have been finding 100% of the time lately. I don't expect you to agree.
I appreciate your thoughts on why you like DL better. I've been waiting to hear a case made why a loyal NW customer like me should become a loyal DL customer like you. While I haven't read every comment in every thread, I've heard a lot of "get over it" talk which makes me less inclined to do just that. But if you really do think that DL can provide a better product and experience, then I'm ready to embrace that. Perhaps it is possible that some years in the future I can feel just as good about DL as I do about NW.

The other night I looked at a lot of NW YouTube videos and their comments and was emotionally moved. I wondered if there are DL fans who are just as passionate about their airline as many of us are about ours. I'd like to hear from them and am open to being convinced.

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Really? ANY? Then what were those threads with generally favorable reviews concerning the new duvet/pillows, new drink glasses, water-at-every-seat, etc., about?
I was referring to the discussions I have overheard in clubs, in gates, and on aircraft--not FT threads.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Actually, I have been on a lot of NW flights. Yep, I have heard some complain about the rebranding. As I have said here, what did they expect...to not do it? I have actually from SOME (but admittedly no more than half) NW members on board that they are looking forward to the more flight options that the new airline gives them. And even more say they realize that without the merger, things could have gotten a lot worse. Admittedly, I haven't been back to DTW or MSP since the massive repainting efforts...I only saw the Jetway signs changed in DTW.

What can I say? I think Delta offers superior front line staff, nicer airplanes, more IFE (including live TV) and the best domestic route coverage going. To me, the FF differences are negligible. What matters to me is upgrade availability...and I get that about 90+% of the time...and award availability which I have been finding 100% of the time lately. I don't expect you to agree. Having said this, Jerry Grinstein made me the big Delta fan of late and I am still not sold on Oscar (Richard Anderson). I am still not completely sure he is in touch with the average consumer.
I completely agree with one exception: I am not yet sure what the new award availability will be like. I have been booking exclusively on the NW engine and the 3 tier DL engine does scare me. I see max awards for Biz way over NW and while I am pretty convinced availability in general will not be impacted the level ( low/Med/High) of that availability is what scares me. Also, I am bitter about the elimination of the SWU...but I guess I was just spoiled.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by szerfam
Lets face it kool aid boy, we who loved our airline think the new Delta sucks, so get over it.
I liked NW too, but I'm also not so naive (unlike these FAs, apparently) to think that everything would have remained the same at NW, merger or no merger. Again, NW FAs don't have to like the merger. I don't care if they do. But they should be professional about it and not whine about it in front of customers.

That the NW FAs complain about silly stuff like this is emblematic of the problems that NW has long had with them. And it is why many folks considered NW's frontline service to be among the worst of all the legacies. It is just so petty and ridiculous. I'm not going to go so far as to say they should be thankful they have a job, but they should at least wake up and get with the program, because the merger isn't going to be undone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.