Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

FA's Hate New DL Preflight Safety Talk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA's Hate New DL Preflight Safety Talk

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by indufan
Actually, I have been on a lot of NW flights. Yep, I have heard some complain about the rebranding. As I have said here, what did they expect...to not do it? I have actually from SOME (but admittedly no more than half) NW members on board that they are looking forward to the more flight options that the new airline gives them. And even more say they realize that without the merger, things could have gotten a lot worse. Admittedly, I haven't been back to DTW or MSP since the massive repainting efforts...I only saw the Jetway signs changed in DTW.

What can I say? I think Delta offers superior front line staff, nicer airplanes, more IFE (including live TV) and the best domestic route coverage going. To me, the FF differences are negligible. What matters to me is upgrade availability...and I get that about 90+% of the time...and award availability which I have been finding 100% of the time lately. I don't expect you to agree. Having said this, Jerry Grinstein made me the big Delta fan of late and I am still not sold on Oscar (Richard Anderson). I am still not completely sure he is in touch with the average consumer.
I was just in DTW yesterday, and they've changed over most of the indoor decor.

What you said is basically spot on. I'll argue one point with you, thoughFront Line service.

I think the best, most consistent customer service in the New Delta is legacy NW large midwestern outstationsthink MKE, GRR, MSN, etc..

Plus, though not fantastic, I think frontline service at NW hubs is usually better, and certainly less hit or miss, than service at ATL or JFK.

But in terms of on-board product, I agree, I think everybody will be happy to see DL.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by lotalota

The other night I looked at a lot of NW YouTube videos and their comments and was emotionally moved. I wondered if there are DL fans who are just as passionate about their airline as many of us are about ours. I'd like to hear from them and am open to being convinced.
I must admit that I am one of the rare people who feels DL/NW brings the best of both worlds. I've always loved NW and they have treated me wonderfully over the years. I'd gladly fly through MSP/DTW over ATL/CVG any day. That being said, I've always enjoyed Delta's in-flight product and since I live in a market where Delta is king, and my "hometown" is a big NW market, I'm really excited about this.

Change is hard, and nobody really enjoys it, especially if you're an airline employee who has gotten used to the ways of their own company. But I really hope that the NW crew can buck up and continue to provide the great level of service that I've come to expect from them, and that the "new Delta" customers will demand they provide.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
[QUOTE=lotalota;11568483]I appreciate your thoughts on why you like DL better. I've been waiting to hear a case made why a loyal NW customer like me should become a loyal DL customer like you. While I haven't read every comment in every thread, I've heard a lot of "get over it" talk which makes me less inclined to do just that. But if you really do think that DL can provide a better product and experience, then I'm ready to embrace that. Perhaps it is possible that some years in the future I can feel just as good about DL as I do about NW[QUOTE=lotalota;11568483]

As a fellow NW/WP fan/happy customer I know what you mean. My take as of late has a little changed on DL. I have had quite a bit of DL service experience and upgrade segments to start to form a good opinion and it is this:

1. I think the product is comparable or maybe even a little better. The DL kool aid brigade will disagree and say that the product is WAY better but they clearly have not spent a lot of time with NW.

2. The FF program is definitely NOT as good as WP was. There are several areas that have been talked about here but at the end of the day it is not as good...not even close.

3. I don't think DL will ever "feel" like NW. The fact that NW was a little smaller, a little more unique, with Hubs that are a little more friendly/out-of-the-way/easy to use are what NW had. By definition the largest airline in the world can not have that same feeling.

Given the above I could deal with most of the changes we (NW ranks) are facing but upgrade % is the key for me. So far so good (100%) but when business turns up I fear a dive in my %. If I am going to sit in the back I would prefer UA E+. I also am sour on the loss of some of our FF benefits but it is what it is now. I have a plan B but am waiting to pull the trigger till my SWU's are gone or the current situation changes. There will never be another NW but the DL integration is not as bad as it first seemed.....yet.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by lotalota
The other night I looked at a lot of NW YouTube videos and their comments and was emotionally moved. I wondered if there are DL fans who are just as passionate about their airline as many of us are about ours. I'd like to hear from them and am open to being convinced.
I agree that there is a lot of emotion involved, which I can definitely understand and empathize with (having "lost" Pan Am in the early '90s - I'll admit I went through my I-hate-Delta-for-screwing-over-Pan-Am phase)..but since then, I have had many favorable experiences with Delta over the last 15+ years and it has mainly involved the Delta employees. In all seriousness, they have been, for lack of a better word, nicer than many other airlines i've flown on. Having top elite status has also meant great above-and-beyond treatment (the 'intangibles') particularly around IROPs....

Of course a lot has changed over the last 15+ years in the airline business with both positive and negative (from my POV) changes. I am not happy about some but appreciate others...at the end of the day, I realize that an airline is a business (and it has to be viewed/managed as such, otherwise it would go the way of Pan Am or TWA - great names and airlines for sentimentality and the romance of aviation, but really bad examples of business management). I would rather take what I may perceive as negative changes if it means the airline I fly will be around for a long time, rather than go through the upheaval (emotionally, physically, etc.) of an airline shutdown...

Off soapbox now...
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
Quite a contrast to the AF takeover of KLM. Delta has really messed up this transition, and to what effect? Slower implementation of product uniformity -- and preserving prior service levels -- would have gone a long way to winning over new customers and employees.
AF-KL are still pulling out giant customer-unfriendly rabbits out of their hat. The corporate arrogance of being the "biggest" shows with the AF-KL approach to the AF-KL "loyalty" program customers and it shows with the DL approach to the DL-NW "loyalty" program(s) customers too.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, AS 100K, SPG LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I'm trying to be positive about the new Delta. The inflight, especially IFE & Power are improvements over NW. Gate agents are a little better too.

However the FF program is why most of us are here on FlyerTalk. And clearly the program, for WorldPerks members, is inferior and significant cuts have been made.

But my biggest problem is the attitude. Maybe it's a Midwest thing, but Beth, Bob and most of the team always played fair: they listened, they were truthful & generous with promotions, corrected mistakes when brought to their attention and always reminded us that our loyalty was appreciated.

Delta/SkyMiles seem to be a 180 of that. Mr. Robertson's arrogance is palpable. Loyalty to him seems fleeting. A different DL exec I had an exchange with seemed to almost imply "aren't you glad we rescued you from NW? we have better inflight!" (He was mum when I mentioned inferior website and loyalty program.)

Inflight is nice, so are the uniforms and so is updated signage everywhere, but they don't make up for loyalty. It's too early to pass judgement, but I have a strong feeling Delta won't be so quick or easy, if ever, to right wrongs and fix problems.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond since inception
I think that the biggest problem with the "merger" is that it seems to have dragged on forever. This should have been like a light switch. One day magically everything becomes Delta. I have had no issues with Northwest and I think they have gotten better each year but I think there gate agents and ticket counter staff were truly obstructionists and have no true interest in helping their clients. I hope the poor attitudes of these employees will improve.

It was always sad to see agents ignoring or admonishing customers who tried to ask questions at the gate. Worst was to watch older people who rarely fly try to ask simple harmless questions and just get ignored or told to sit down. I think if this attitude was not so prevelant throughout the old NWA probably they would have been able to avoid Delta and the "merger"

Last edited by dhh1; Apr 12, 2009 at 7:35 pm
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Back to the topic at hand, I'm a little confused about what the ex-NW FAs are complaining about. What is it about their "preflight safety talk" that's so terrible?

In my experience, DL's updated announcement scripts have been designed to be more conversational and customer friendly.

Are they just bitter and resistant to change?

Do they resent having to learn new things and, wonder of wonders, do MORE WORK by mixing drinks and handing out bottles of water?

What makes DL crews so great is that they take pride in (and in the past were embarrassed by the lack of) the service offerings they have to work with. Sounds like the bitter NW types are the diametric opposite, and simply DON'T CARE. More than anything, this is my concern about the merger...
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Back to the topic at hand, I'm a little confused about what the ex-NW FAs are complaining about. What is it about their "preflight safety talk" that's so terrible?

In my experience, DL's updated announcement scripts have been designed to be more conversational and customer friendly.

Are they just bitter and resistant to change?

Do they resent having to learn new things and, wonder of wonders, do MORE WORK by mixing drinks and handing out bottles of water?

What makes DL crews so great is that they take pride in (and in the past were embarrassed by the lack of) the service offerings they have to work with. Sounds like the bitter NW types are the diametric opposite, and simply DON'T CARE. More than anything, this is my concern about the merger...
You know, the whole "merger" would've gone a lot smoother if DL had actually taken the time to figure out pieces of each airline and had their crews each change a little bit. Instead, they have called it a merger and then essentially eliminated just about every bit of NW over the course of a few months. I'd be bitter, too.

Do I think some of DL's inflight service is better? Yes. I like the new glasses and getting peanuts and the pillows and hot towels and some other things. (However, I've noticed that they've also eliminated passing out the small servings of OJ/water on MSN-MSP / MSP-MSN flights and the FAs are essentially doing little on these legs after the safety briefing. So not everything is positive.)

I fly from MSN through DTW and MSP frequently. I much prefer dealing with people in DTW and MSP much more than dealing with ANYTHING in the hellhole that is ATL. I don't care how good the FA's service is -- I care more about the ground and reservations people and how they deal with irregular ops. Like today when I was able to move from a severely delayed MSN-DTW flight to an MSN-MSP flight (and was put right in F on the connection) simply by calling the PLT line while about 100 people stood in line.

So what it comes down to is this -- many of us are used to flying NW and yes, life will go on. But I do hope that the people from NW do everything they can to keep the memory of NW alive, including the service I've grown used to.

I do like the new glasses in F, though. And the uniforms are nice.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhh1
I think that the biggest problem with the "merger" is that it seems to have dragged on forever. This should have been like a light switch. One day magically everything becomes Delta. I have had no issues with Northwest and I think they have gotten better each year but I think there gate agents and ticket counter staff were truly obstructionists and have no true interest in helping their clients. I hope the poor attitudes of these employees will improve.

It was always sad to see agents ignoring or admonishing customers who tried to ask questions at the gate. Worst was to watch older people who rarely fly try to ask simple harmless questions and just get ignored or told to sit down. I think if this attitude was not so prevelant throughout the old NWA probably they would have been able to avoid Delta and the "merger"
Have you ever tried to deal with ASA people in ATL? To me, that's like a special layer of hell.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond since inception
I guess we are all struggling with if it is better to serve in heaven or rule in hell....
Old Apr 12, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
i for one really like the Delta safety script/video. I think it is light and keeps my attention. I rarely pay attention to the claymation guy on UA, but Deltalina and her finger-wag give me a chuckle every time.
I also think that Delta is a lot more in touch with online initiatives. They have a blog, they post on YouTube, they are utilizing technologies that give them ubiquity. I haven't seen this from any other legacy carrier, especially NW.
No merger is going to be easy, especially when people are emotionally invested. I think that any Delta employee (legacy or former NW) should put on their game face and keep their complaining to themselves. That's just good customer service.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gitismatt
i for one really like the Delta safety script/video. I think it is light and keeps my attention. I rarely pay attention to the claymation guy on UA, but Deltalina and her finger-wag give me a chuckle every time.
I also think that Delta is a lot more in touch with online initiatives. They have a blog, they post on YouTube, they are utilizing technologies that give them ubiquity. I haven't seen this from any other legacy carrier, especially NW.
No merger is going to be easy, especially when people are emotionally invested. I think that any Delta employee (legacy or former NW) should put on their game face and keep their complaining to themselves. That's just good customer service.
To which I'd say: Quit with the YouTube and make your website half as good as nwa.com. To me, a great example of not really caring about using the best of both, as delta.com is horrible in comparison.

On a NW flight MSP-MCO. Nice water.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I don't care how good the FA's service is -- I care more about the ground and reservations people and how they deal with irregular ops. Like today when I was able to move from a severely delayed MSN-DTW flight to an MSN-MSP flight (and was put right in F on the connection) simply by calling the PLT line while about 100 people stood in line.
It's great that you had that level of service today. I'll have you know that in five years as a PM I have NEVER had to wait in line behind 100 people in an IRROPS situation.

I just call SMS or head to a CRC, and problem is solved. Plus, DL policy is to force book you into full Y during an IRROPS. I think the point is to bump you up on the standby list, but it also has the effect of increasing your MQMs and your chance for an upgrade.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RichMSN
To which I'd say: Quit with the YouTube and make your website half as good as nwa.com. To me, a great example of not really caring about using the best of both, as delta.com is horrible in comparison.

On a NW flight MSP-MCO. Nice water.
maybe im not using the same nwa.com that everyone else is, but i dont see what's so good about it. seriously. can someone elaborate on why it's better? it looks like someone made it with frontpage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.