Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW point-beyond (hidden city) on last leg of RTs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW point-beyond (hidden city) on last leg of RTs?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:47 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
If I decide to use a hidden city, how should I proceed with regards to checked-in baggage? Ask to check it only to my hidden destination (if they allow that at all)? Ask to remove it when I arrive in the "hidden city"?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL PM
Since the OP states he will be close to earning status, why not just tack a OW MKE-MSP on the end of the trip ($58.10 on 5/18) and fly the legs, thereby picking up an additional 1000 EQMs and making the matter moot.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
End up doing this once or twice a year with NWA, and haven't had a problem. Never done it for better pricing though, just because plans change (last time flew the DEN-MSP of a return ticket, had to be in MSP that night, and flew YX MSP-MKE the next day...got to MKE and picked my bags up at the NW desk, and didn't have to pay the YX bag fees!).

Do it a lot on UA because the ORD-MKE flights are frequently delayed (sometimes get the bump, then get picked up and make it home sooner). Or if it's a long connection we just do the pick-up and throw away the last ticket. Doing it on the first leg, even with delays on MKE-ORD, is always tough...
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
Originally Posted by slowly
If I decide to use a hidden city, how should I proceed with regards to checked-in baggage? Ask to check it only to my hidden destination (if they allow that at all)? Ask to remove it when I arrive in the "hidden city"?
You no longer can just check baggage to a certain point, must be to destination (carry-on is best.) You do have passenger rights...if you are truly ill or have a fear of the next flight, you can share your concerns with the GA...who will most likely just cancel or reschedule your last leg.

When passing through customs on a connection, it is also hard to keep a bag that was once check (been told by TSA / Customs "once a checked bag, always a check bag!) Again the bag tag is the issue, they will not let you carrying it out if it is not your final destination (I have been halted on this very issue.) No big deal, since I was flying on, just wanted to keep the bag with me as it met carry-on regs.

You can save significant money by adding on legs. We went to CDG, saving $350. each by adding RST-MSP-CDG (We did fly all the segments.) It is all about intent, if you do not intend to break the rule....you didn't.

Plan ahead and never intend to break the rules! On one trip, I actually bought an Amtrak ticket for $7.50 to get me home after the last leg (it added time, but not much money.) Just enjoy the ride!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Wildman
When passing through customs on a connection, it is also hard to keep a bag that was once check (been told by TSA / Customs "once a checked bag, always a check bag!) Again the bag tag is the issue, they will not let you carrying it out if it is not your final destination (I have been halted on this very issue.) No big deal, since I was flying on, just wanted to keep the bag with me as it met carry-on regs.

Hmm, I don't know about this. I routinely check luggage from Europe to domestic locations (via DTW or MSP) and remove the baggage claim when I get the luggage in DTW or MSP. This is after immigration, but before customs - right at the baggage carousel. I just rip off the baggage tag and put it in my pocket. I then just walk through customs, go through security (where the bag is scanned), and back into the main concourse in DTW. I then go over to my domestic flight and fly home. I do this because I don't want to haul the bag around the European airport and on to the international flight, but also don't want to wait around once I am home for the bag to come off that last domestic flight. (And also my bags seem to get lost/delayed in DTW/MSP occasionally.) One time I forgot to remove the baggage claim and when I was going through security after customs one of the TSA guys told me I needed to recheck the bag I had checked in over in Europe and that still had the tag on it. I walked over to the Northwest baggage check counter, explained I didn't want to recheck the bag and the agent said "no problem" and ripped the claim check off! He then said to go ahead and go through security.

I really thought this was perfectly "legal". I know that when you go through customs and recheck luggage they put the bag in their "matching" system and you better get on the domestic flight or they will go through the luggage already in the plane's baggage hold and remove it - probably delaying the flight. My flights have never been delayed and I have never been asked about my "checked" luggage that I grabbed before customs.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
You are absolutely correct...you can tear the tag off...just don't let TSA/Customs see you do it. I have successful done it too. I just do not recommend it to others. I do believe it is against the rules. Not sure it it is law, but it would be a good task for someone to research.

If it is against the rules, what are the penalities. I know you can also have your bags redirected to bagage claim at the connection airport, if you do it soon enough after arrival (I did it once to retrieve an item.)
Old Nov 8, 2009, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P. Former DL FO in the Golden Age of Mileage Runs
Originally Posted by indufan
This, by definition, makes it "illegal". Now, I assume that you had the view of word that I had for a long time. That illegal means against the law. It doesn't. It has a second meaning. "not sanctioned by official rules (as of a game)". A "double dribble" is illegal in basketball as is hidden ticketing in the context of airline rules.

Having said this, I don't think that it is against the law either BUT one could make a case for it. Don't try to expect me to try and argue that case since I don't really believe in it but I have seen much broader criminal cases...particularly in the US state of NY and CA.

I am not an attorney, I will leave it those people to interpret it.
(Bolding mine)

Since nearly any routing to which this would apply would start and end in different states, it would be very hard for the airline to try a case under one state's laws, interstate commerce and all. IANAL, but I'd trust my luck.

FWIW, I used this trick a couple times this summer. On an OW from BOS-MSP(-MKE) (after a Europe trip) I dropped the last segment. Not only did DL/NW not find out, but the miles for the last segment actually posted to my account I blame it on the merger.

Prices came down enough that this fall it hasn't been much of an issue. But we'll see if it is going forwards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.