Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Delta looking to convert NW's 787 orders into 777s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta looking to convert NW's 787 orders into 777s

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by tomh009
Oil is indeed cheap now, but I think few people expect it to stay in the $50 range permanently. On the other hand, aircraft are ordered for delivery 2-5 years in the future, and have a useful life of decades.
All true. But I don't think greater fuel efficiency is some sort of magic salve. I think they will need to cut domestic capacity at some point in the relatively near future and don't need to be in any hurry to replace the first 50+ planes they retire. That should give them enough lead time to start getting replacements in the door for the next wave of retirements.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Also to note, the 787 was supposed to have a lot more benefits to passengers (better windows, higher humidity levels etc). Not sure if the 777 will have these.
The 777 family never was designed with these particular comforts in mind. These, frankly, were some of the things I was (am?) looking forward to the most. (No matter how nice the interior of a 777 may be, the 787 stands to be substantially more comfortable on a 16+ hour inter-continental flight)

And you hit the nail on the head: the 787 was designed/planned for a different type of market. It's not as simple as just counting the number of seats and the useful range of the aircraft and sliding them in/out like they're equals.

I do hope most of the confirmed orders are preserved and that the options are exercised. This is going to be a great aircraft, whenever it starts rolling off the assembly line.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Somewhat covered in the threads already is that the 787 was meant to fit a new business model - allowing for small loads for long range pax allowing more point-to-point flights vs the larger aircraft relying on the hub-spoke model. It will be interesting to note that this isn't simply an airplane swap, but perhaps a business model shift now that DL has taken over NW.
Wouldn't that be interesting? DL, which currently has a extensive network of international hub-to-spoke routes, would shift to a more "NW-like" model of international hub-to-hub routes.

I don't think the cancellation is that big of a deal, except that there is a "gloating factor" and the corresponding visibility advantage that comes with being the first airline to fly a prestigious plane. Even if NW had not been the very first to fly the Dreamliner, think of the publicity they would have received! After all, look at the coverage that Singapore Airlines got when the A380 entered service!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by respectable_man
I don't think the cancellation is that big of a deal, except that there is a "gloating factor" and the corresponding visibility advantage that comes with being the first airline to fly a prestigious plane. Even if NW had not been the very first to fly the Dreamliner, think of the publicity they would have received! After all, look at the coverage that Singapore Airlines got when the A380 entered service!
Except SQ actually was the first airline to receive - and fly in commercial service - the A380. NW was only the first N American airline to be in line to receive the 787; they weren't even first to order: CO beat them to it.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:31 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
I don't think the cancellation is that big of a deal, except that there is a "gloating factor" and the corresponding visibility advantage that comes with being the first airline to fly a prestigious plane.
Perhaps so...but there's also the potential for early teething issues to undermine any theoretical operational cost advantage, whichever manufacturer we're talking about. Most operators know that the early in-service period is not going to be trouble-free. The 772 is not as comfortable as the 787 will be. I don't think it's even as comfortable as the 330. For me, this is not about tiresome A v B ideological warfare. It's about my comfort in the cabin. But, the 772 is available now, it works, it's reliable and makes sense.

I am sure the 787 will be quieter, more comfortable and more sustainable for long flights. But it isn't here yet. It hasn't even flown yet, so this is very premature. The A350 will end up being much closer to the 787 than was originally thought and the cycle will continue.

As long as the 767s are replaced sooner rather than later I'll be happy.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:37 am

DL will get some PR from the 787 launch, but ANA will have the first plane. Even if DL puts the Thompson cozy seats in 787 Y ANA will still have a superior hard and soft product in every cabin. The Japanese carriers are insane with amenities, JLs domestic F product beats DL's classic BE product.

That being said, the 787 allows DL to take best in class for international for at least a little while. The bigger problem I think is the plane is so far delayed that the Business class seats NW choose are no longer state of the art. One would hope that DL would shift to the Thompson seats up front.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Sadly, I don't think passenger comfort is a priority. How a plane fits into the business model and the kind of ROI the mgt thinks it can bring are more likely to be the determining factors.

I do wish they paid more attention to it tho. I do my utmost to avoid 767s on TATL flights in Y and there are plenty of comfortable alternatives. I don't know how many people actually do that though; probably not enough to encourage them to take pax comfort more seriously. (Premium service is a different matter entirely.)

PS: I bet they're having a blast reading this thread. We're probably WAY off.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
(No matter how nice the interior of a 777 may be, the 787 stands to be substantially more comfortable on a 16+ hour inter-continental flight)
Originally Posted by redtailshark
The 772 is not as comfortable as the 787 will be.
Originally Posted by florin
Sadly, I don't think passenger comfort is a priority.
Are all of you relatively indifferent about seat and cabin width? Or do you think the humidity and windows will make up for it?

Personally, I am dreading the 787. I think it will give us 757-style claustrophobia in a widebody package. I would be willing to wager that not a single carrier opts for 8-abreast in coach on this plane. What we will be left with is 747-style seat width, a narrower cabin, and (probably) a b**ch-seat heavy 3-3-3 layout. I try to avoid 3-abreast seating configurations like the plague, and this one will likely be no different.

In the front, my guess is it will be a marginal improvement, but I didn't exactly get excited when CO announced that they will turn the seats toward the windows. If that is the best we are going to get, then I'll save the cartwheels.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Are all of you relatively indifferent about seat and cabin width? Or do you think the humidity and windows will make up for it?

Personally, I am dreading the 787. I think it will give us 757-style claustrophobia in a widebody package. I would be willing to wager that not a single carrier opts for 8-abreast in coach on this plane. What we will be left with is 747-style seat width, a narrower cabin, and (probably) a b**ch-seat heavy 3-3-3 layout. I try to avoid 3-abreast seating configurations like the plague, and this one will likely be no different.

In the front, my guess is it will be a marginal improvement, but I didn't exactly get excited when CO announced that they will turn the seats toward the windows. If that is the best we are going to get, then I'll save the cartwheels.
Thanks you! I really don't care about the window size, and while higher humidity might be nice, it will not make up for tighter seat spacing for me. I may not be dreading the 787, but I'm not going to get excited about it, either, until the spectre of a sardine seating configuration is removed.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL, AA

NW was all set to go 8 across, and might possibly stay that way.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
I, for one was looking forward to the 787. Alas, another aircraft that I probably will not be able to experience in addition to the A 380. As a NW flyer, I have limited experience with the 777, but really do not like the 767 when I have flown DL and CO. Will be flying the 777 to DEL (I think...) in January on CO in Business. I am a big A 330 fan. Do not like the 757 for international flights.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by remedy
I, for one was looking forward to the 787. Alas, another aircraft that I probably will not be able to experience in addition to the A 380. .
The 787 WILL be a part of the fleet. You may have to wait a little bit longer but they are not cancelling the order.

Originally Posted by remedy
but really do not like the 767 when I have flown DL and CO.
Though the 767 in Y does offer the least possibility (of any wide-body aircraft currently flying) of being stuck in a middle seat, with its 2-3-2 configuration.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
The 787 WILL be a part of the fleet. You may have to wait a little bit longer but they are not cancelling the order.
At least not for now ...
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:49 pm

I wouldn't dismiss the increased humidity so quickly. Low humidity is one of the main factors in air sickness, dehydration, and dry/itchy skin after long flights. The new lighting systems will also help to reduce the onset of air sickness. Another of the numerous technological improvements will be the computerized system designed to avoid turbulence and wind shear with reaction times that are minuscule compared to what current autopilot systems offer. This should result in generally smoother flights, something passengers in all classes can appreciate.

But the rest is all speculation. Just as some think the creature comforts will be far and above what we're used to, they could also be insignificant if the seating choices are not done with passenger comfort in mind. It's all up in the air. The only things worth discussing are the published facts/statistics from Boeing since none of the airlines, AFAIK, have announced interior design plans.

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Though the 767 in Y does offer the least possibility (of any wide-body aircraft currently flying) of being stuck in a middle seat, with its 2-3-2 configuration.
Oh, if only that were the lone issue with the 767...
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wouldn't that be interesting? DL, which currently has a extensive network of international hub-to-spoke routes, would shift to a more "NW-like" model of international hub-to-hub routes.

Yeah, when I first heard NWA was booking orders for the 787, my thought was to reach all the mid & large sized Asian markets directly from MSP/DTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.