Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

747s Being Painted in DL Colors [Pics of First 744 "DL Operated by NW" at DTW]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747s Being Painted in DL Colors [Pics of First 744 "DL Operated by NW" at DTW]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
Not knowing all the facts...

However, I am assuming all the NWA WBC seats with 22" width over time will be replace to DL Business Elite seats of 20" or 18.5" (I am not sure).

(sigh) DL would be smart to keep the NWA WBC seat type used on 747-400 and 330. So, I guess for a SHORT time DL business travelers will enjoy WBC on a DL aircraft "artist... excuse me 'aircraft' formerly know as NWA." Flying from ATL-NRT or ATL-Europe.

I am gonna miss Mountain Dew, Pepsi... and Worldperks, WorldClub, and other NWA brand names. (sigh) RedTail forever!

-BondAir007
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, NW Gold for '09
Originally Posted by respectable_man
Without suggesting you are wrong, let me point out that if some in the DL forum kept an open mind they would actually find that they like NW better. Point being: if you take the best of both, the result is very nice. Otherwise, not so nice...
After lurking a couple years before actually joining, I can say w/out a doubt that the DL forum is quite hostile, with a select few as ringleaders. I've found the majority on the NW forum are very friendly (with the exception of one very negative member who i've blocked, and a former DL ringleader, whom i've also blocked).
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:36 pm

Aren't there a handful of idle 744s? Maybe these are the ones that will be painted, as they could be put into service almost immediately without disrupting the current route networks.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
You may be apprehensive about loyalty program changes and the like, but I doubt it'll be as bad as you think. There are legions of satisfied Medallions out there; clearly DL is doing something right.
Just remember WP is the only program NOT to have significant cuts over the past few years.....I hope this helps you understand why we aren't happy about who's now running the program (although I do still have faith in Richard-he focused on PAX when running NWA and I'm sure he has the same focus today)
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Without debating the number of configurations any further (I think I outlined them pretty clearly above), the point is that NW flyers are used to ONE product internationally (except the handful of current/former TATL 757s). It doesn't matter if you're going to Frankfurt or Singapore in WBC, you're getting the same product.

This is less a point about which product is better or worse, but about expectations. NW flyers expect a certain thing from WBC and they can expect it on the vast majority of the international fleet. When we add DL to the mix, the expectations become more cloudy. From a DL elite perspective, this may not seem like a big deal. For someone who flys NW WBC almost exclusively, this could be an understandable point of concern.

Again, this is not an argument of better or worse, but rather one of expectations and commonality on behalf of the NW frequent flyer.
Dont forget WBC is the same regardless of who's equipment it's on KLM or NWA
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luvsbucks
After lurking a couple years before actually joining, I can say w/out a doubt that the DL forum is quite hostile, with a select few as ringleaders. I've found the majority on the NW forum are very friendly (with the exception of one very negative member who i've blocked, and a former DL ringleader, whom i've also blocked).
There are reasons I haven't been in their community for years (with the exception of the 1 thread I started posting in a few days ago about EUA)
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by humanoid94
Aren't there a handful of idle 744s? Maybe these are the ones that will be painted, as they could be put into service almost immediately without disrupting the current route networks.
I dont believe so, I believe you are thinking of the 742s
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper
They've bought off the pilots... it's the FA's that I can see trouble with.
Agreed. I won't step foot on that newly painted DL 747 if the NW cabin crews decide to start causing problems.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 1:02 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Two 742's are for charter that are based in MSP... I believe there is one "extra" 744 that overnights in DTW, but no "idle" 744's in the NW inventory

Originally Posted by humanoid94
Old Nov 8, 2008, 1:26 pm

Two 742's are for charter that are based in MSP... I believe there is one "extra" 744 that overnights in DTW, but no "idle" 744's in the NW inventory
I wonder what will happen to the Bucs charters now. They use NW but they used to use DL. Something happened and DL angered one of the Glazer sons (a whiny south Florida billionaire) so they moved biz to NW.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
In what decade?
^
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
From what Ive understood, there will be two versions of DL seats...those on the DL777LR aircraft and those on all other long-range aircraft (except 757s to Europe which feature Recaro seats). What Im wondering about is what will happen to NW's WBC seat? With so many variations of the product out there, why not just keep them and save on the refurbishment costs? They are quite nice.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier Silver, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by socrates
Dont forget WBC is the same regardless of who's equipment it's on KLM or NWA
Actually this isn't the case- KLM has now two different WBC seats- neither one is the same as NWA. Most of the fleet has a seat which is similar to the CO 777 BusinessFirst Seat. The new 777-300ER's have the same seat as the newest AF Business Class Seats.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
they just plan to paint em and put em on current DL routes and schlep the old 767's to the NW routes...
Last time i checked 767s can't fly from dtw to nrt without running out of fuel and fall in the pacific, so the 747 are staying on the nw routes for now, but the TATL 332s may be in danger of going to ATL instead.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 4:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier Silver, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by BondAir007
Not knowing all the facts...

However, I am assuming all the NWA WBC seats with 22" width over time will be replace to DL Business Elite seats of 20" or 18.5" (I am not sure).

(sigh) DL would be smart to keep the NWA WBC seat type used on 747-400 and 330. So, I guess for a SHORT time DL business travelers will enjoy WBC on a DL aircraft "artist... excuse me 'aircraft' formerly know as NWA." Flying from ATL-NRT or ATL-Europe.

I am gonna miss Mountain Dew, Pepsi... and Worldperks, WorldClub, and other NWA brand names. (sigh) RedTail forever!

-BondAir007
I would expect the following to happen:

DL will move forward with the seats it is introducing on its 767's and 777's. The recliner style seats, which make up the majority of the fleet at the moment, were redone over the last couple of years to give them a bit more life before new products were ready. You will not see these on the NWA planes.

The current WBC may get a new seat cover (leather)- but will remain for the next couple of years.

The 747's will get the seats that are going in Delta's 777's up front. This is the herring-bone set-up. At the moment, only the 777LR's have them, but they will be placed in the rest of the 777's over the next year. I wouldn't be shocked if DL also placed the new Thompson Cozy Suites in Coach on the 747's, as they will increase capacity while also increasing comfort. If not these- they will likely get the same coach seats that are being put in the 777LR, as these are thinner. They can thereby increase capacity while not reducing legroom.

The A330's will, I would guess, be among the last of the fleet to be redone. Eventually I would guess they will get the seats that Delta is putting in its 767 fleet, these are the true lie-flat seats which are staggered. Again, I would guess the Thompson Cozy Suites to be put in these planes.

When all of this is done, they will likely have three business class seats- the 757's will not be flat, but apparently these seats are fairly comfortable. The wide body fleet will have seats which are lie-flat, offer direct aisle access for the far majority of passengers, and offer similar comfort. Remember- right now CO has 3 business class seats and no one seems to be complaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.