Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

747s Being Painted in DL Colors [Pics of First 744 "DL Operated by NW" at DTW]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747s Being Painted in DL Colors [Pics of First 744 "DL Operated by NW" at DTW]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2008, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by BobH
Just wonder what paint scheme it's in now -- i.e., did all of the 47's get white Albino paint or is this one that was due to be painted and....
The 744s are N661-74US and N675-6NW, and a very quick round of googling indicates that they all got the current paint, as did 742 N624US. The only one that might still be in the old paint is 742 N623US. So... repaint one of the old 742s they use for charter service? Or repaint something people are actually going to see a lot?
Old Nov 8, 2008, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
There are 2.5 business class configurations right now, with the 757s having slightly different seats.
I think there are a few more than that. Currently, the 767-400ER has BusinessElite Recliner seats (60" pitch, 18.5" width). Then, very soon, they'll start to be replaced with the Thompson 1-2-1 configuration. That will immediately create two configurations just for the 767-400ER. Then at that point, since the 767-300ER has BusinessElite recliner seats with 60" pitch and 18.5" width, there will be another config. The 777-200ER has BusinessElite recliner seats (60" pitch, 21" width). The 777-200LR has the full-flat sleeper suites. They occasionally use the 737-800 for short/medium-haul international routes and that is configured with a first class cabin (38" pitch, 20.5" width). Then, depending on the luck of the draw, you can get two versions of the 757 on an international route. One has first class and 39" pitch, 21" width. The other has BusinessElite seating with 160 degrees of recline.

So, right now before the 767-400ERs go into reconfiguration, I count six configurations. After the reconfig when the 767-300ER/400ER have different configs, there will be seven. During the config process when there are two versions of the 767-400ER, there would be as many as eight different configurations.

I suppose, if you add in the three international configs for NW (WBC, TATL/Interport 757, and Int'l A320), you'll have as many as 11.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 6:20 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Quite appropriate. Victorville, one of the many aircraft graveyards in the U.S!
Makes an old airliner cry. On top of it, one still finds many DL aircraft in different state of livery, let alone their Song equipment. But one of our redtails has to go thru the transition on an expedited schedule. Oh, the humanity of it.
You really don't know much about DL, do you?

The Song planes were all repainted within months of the emergence from bankrupcy.

The old DL livery (with the cheatline) also quickly vanished at that point.

As of now, a solid 1/3 of the mainline fleet (and lots of Connection ships) are in the new paint. The rest are in the so-called "wavy gravy" livery.

Now that all the DL ships actually say "Delta" on them, my understanding is the priority is the unify the brand and accelerate the painting of the NW ships, to minimize confusion. My guess is that in two years, there will be no more NW ships, but you'll still find some DL ships in the previous paint; they'll be the last to go.

It's stunning how much sarcasm and bitterness there is on this board. Many of you guys will say anything to bash DL, regardless of whether it's actually true. If you keep an open mind, you may actually find you like DL better...
Old Nov 8, 2008, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I think there are a few more than that. Currently, the 767-400ER has BusinessElite Recliner seats (60" pitch, 18.5" width). Then, very soon, they'll start to be replaced with the Thompson 1-2-1 configuration. That will immediately create two configurations just for the 767-400ER. Then at that point, since the 767-300ER has BusinessElite recliner seats with 60" pitch and 18.5" width, there will be another config. The 777-200ER has BusinessElite recliner seats (60" pitch, 21" width). The 777-200LR has the full-flat sleeper suites. They occasionally use the 737-800 for short/medium-haul international routes and that is configured with a first class cabin (38" pitch, 20.5" width). Then, depending on the luck of the draw, you can get two versions of the 757 on an international route. One has first class and 39" pitch, 21" width. The other has BusinessElite seating with 160 degrees of recline.

So, right now before the 767-400ERs go into reconfiguration, I count six configurations. After the reconfig when the 767-300ER/400ER have different configs, there will be seven. During the config process when there are two versions of the 767-400ER, there would be as many as eight different configurations.

I suppose, if you add in the three international configs for NW (WBC, TATL/Interport 757, and Int'l A320), you'll have as many as 11.
Don't forget the soon-to-be-announced International DC9 config :0 Oh, and the 787 as well.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP

DL has been in the midst of rolling out its new BE seats, which at any airline always seems to take longer than it should. And now, it's admittedly more complicated with all those NW ships that need to be refurbished/reconfigured.

Many of the different configs is because the fleet continues to be a work in progress; many fleet types are in the midst of a transition from one seatmap to another, which is why there are so many different versions out there. You can hardly blame them for IMPROVING its offerings; at any company there's bound to be a transition period. Here's the actual deal:

772ER/LR:
In the process of getting full-flat suites. Two ships (the new LRs) already have them. They are waiting for more LRs to arrive to take the burden off the ERs, at which point they can rotate them out and replace those seats as well. This may be delayed because of the Boeing strike. These seats are desgined for ultra-longhaul ops, and can be competitive as such.

764ER:
In the process of getting full-flat seats (a different and perhaps better product than the suites on the 777, because the 764 is a narrower airplane. These seats will be configured 1-2-1 across, making it easier to sit with your traveling companion.) These seats will serve medium-longhaul routes with heavy competition, like JFK-LHR (already announced).

763ER:
These will continue to have the recently refreshed recliner seats, which IMO are more comfortable than any of the angled-lie-flats currently out there. These ships serve smaller cities with higher demand but less competition.

752ER:
These ex-TWA ships have a version of the recliners found on the 763 (and not-yet-reconfigured 764/772 ships). The difference is that they have a massage function and are slightly wider. These ships serve second and third tier destinations that in many cases have never seen nonstop service from the US.

So on the international fleet, you have four different types of product, targeted at four different types of markets. Though the seats themselves have their individual features, the overall product is/will be branded quite consistently. All have the same IFE system, food, pillows, duvets, etc. As for the hard product, all will fit into the DL brand in terms of overall look.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
With DL's history, there will be another repainting before the interior changes. Plus, they have no experience with a 747. So, don't get your hopes up.
Delta took delivery of 747s in 1970. Don't let facts get in the way.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
It's stunning how much sarcasm and bitterness there is on this board. Many of you guys will say anything to bash DL, regardless of whether it's actually true. If you keep an open mind, you may actually find you like DL better...
Is the Kool Aid extra good this morning?

We only need to to read the DL board to find plenty of reasons to be depressed -- grossly inflated miles, 3-tier award setup, Roach Choice run amuck, likely reduce upgrades for Golds, none for Silvers, VP for Loyalty Programs who appears not to give a hoot about what anyone's actually saying, etc.

Meanwhile with WN coming to MSP, my calcucations show a likely long term drop to $250 per round trip to St. Louis (from ~ $600 on NW / DL today), possibly even down to $125 per round trip if I can hit the level where companion tickets kick in.

DL just looks less and less appealing to us every day.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Is the Kool Aid extra good this morning?

We only need to to read the DL board to find plenty of reasons to be depressed -- grossly inflated miles, 3-tier award setup, Roach Choice run amuck, likely reduce upgrades for Golds, none for Silvers, VP for Loyalty Programs who appears not to give a hoot about what anyone's actually saying, etc.

Meanwhile with WN coming to MSP, my calcucations show a likely long term drop to $250 per round trip to St. Louis (from ~ $600 on NW / DL today), possibly even down to $125 per round trip if I can hit the level where companion tickets kick in.

DL just looks less and less appealing to us every day.
No kool aid for me; in fact, if you looked at my past posts you'd find quite a few times when I was critical of DL... especially concerning the in-seat IFE fiasco.

I remember the fear and concern we over on the DL board had during the US Airwards hostile takeover attempt. To a degree, I understand the concerns you guys must have. Having said that, DL is not US. Over the past few years DL management have made some very smart decisions in remaking the airline with better service, nicer and cleaner planes and greater reach.

You may be apprehensive about loyalty program changes and the like, but I doubt it'll be as bad as you think. There are legions of satisfied Medallions out there; clearly DL is doing something right.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 8:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt

you had better look in a mirror orlandodlpat.
I posted a few comments and you bashed me quicly and relentlessly.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier Silver, HHonors Silver
763ER:
These will continue to have the recently refreshed recliner seats, which IMO are more comfortable than any of the angled-lie-flats currently out there. These ships serve smaller cities with higher demand but less competition.
The 763ER will get the new seats going into the 764ER fleet- but apparently they are waiting until 2010 to start that as they will also be installing the Thompson Cozy Suites in coach (with new IFE). This wait period is apparently because the FAA has not yet approved these seats.

So, yes, this transition will be taking some time- but remember how many planes DL has. Even before the merger- DL had around 60 763ER's, 21? 764ER's, 8 777ER's, 2 777LR's, 13? 757 (international config).
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Silver
Without suggesting you are wrong, let me point out that if some in the DL forum kept an open mind they would actually find that they like NW better. Point being: if you take the best of both, the result is very nice. Otherwise, not so nice...
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:14 am
Suspended

So on the international fleet, you have four different types of product, targeted at four different types of markets. Though the seats themselves have their individual features, the overall product is/will be branded quite consistently. All have the same IFE system, food, pillows, duvets, etc. As for the hard product, all will fit into the DL brand in terms of overall look.
It will be a single product on wide-body aircraft...
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:06 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
In what decade?

Originally Posted by sxf24
It will be a single product on wide-body aircraft...
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by thezipper
In what decade?
Might as well put them in Air France livery while they are at it.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 11:58 am

So on the international fleet, you have four different types of product, targeted at four different types of markets.
Without debating the number of configurations any further (I think I outlined them pretty clearly above), the point is that NW flyers are used to ONE product internationally (except the handful of current/former TATL 757s). It doesn't matter if you're going to Frankfurt or Singapore in WBC, you're getting the same product.

This is less a point about which product is better or worse, but about expectations. NW flyers expect a certain thing from WBC and they can expect it on the vast majority of the international fleet. When we add DL to the mix, the expectations become more cloudy. From a DL elite perspective, this may not seem like a big deal. For someone who flys NW WBC almost exclusively, this could be an understandable point of concern.

Again, this is not an argument of better or worse, but rather one of expectations and commonality on behalf of the NW frequent flyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.