Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DOJ approves the merger!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I am suprised they have so little info out. They have been working on this for a while and kept sayign we can not answer any questions until it is approved.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I find it strange that DL has taken down the merger site - newglobalairline.com
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
They haven't updated their Facebook page yet, either.

Got an e-mail from NW already.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
So long NW

Last edited by mikey1003; Oct 29, 2008 at 8:19 pm
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
This sucks! Bye NW. The red tail will continue to live in my memories.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
NW miles were great for getting to Europe in the summer (planned 11 months out) until a few years ago. Even then, it was often possible to get a saver seat in one direction and a rule buster in the other. But now that they are DL, that flexibility is likely to disappear. That figured into my decision to burn as many NW miles as possible this year.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL, AA
So long, red tail. You will be missed!

RIP Northwest Airlines, 10/29/2008
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta - Diamond; Hilton - Silver
Originally Posted by thezipper
Boys and Girls... with this little tidbit you better get your awards booked and fast! If you've been reading the DL board about the new 3-tier award system, there's nary a 25k award to be had anymore... talk about dilution!
Just booked a trip for my family for next summer to Europe using our miles. $1080 in fees/taxes for the five of us! I'm here in Memphis and am wondering what this means for the future of air travel in our city. If we lose the hub, we'll get Southwest Airlines and reasonably priced flights. But a lot of people will lose their jobs, the city will lose a prestigious status and I'll have a hard time getting direct and convenient flights. And I'll have to decide whether to stay in the NW/DL frequent flyer program or ask another program to admit me at a gold level in their program (I'm told it's not that hard to negotiate that sort of thing).
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gsiskind
Just booked a trip for my family for next summer to Europe using our miles. $1080 in fees/taxes for the five of us! I'm here in Memphis and am wondering what this means for the future of air travel in our city. If we lose the hub, we'll get Southwest Airlines and reasonably priced flights. But a lot of people will lose their jobs, the city will lose a prestigious status and I'll have a hard time getting direct and convenient flights. And I'll have to decide whether to stay in the NW/DL frequent flyer program or ask another program to admit me at a gold level in their program (I'm told it's not that hard to negotiate that sort of thing).
You will be able to get status matches or fast-track challenges to earning status without too much problem with other US airilnes -- they all are going to be desperate for frequent flying customers for quite some time.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:37 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Just booked a trip for my family for next summer to Europe using our miles. $1080 in fees/taxes for the five of us! I'm here in Memphis and am wondering what this means for the future of air travel in our city. If we lose the hub, we'll get Southwest Airlines and reasonably priced flights.
I have been waiting 10 years for Southwest to add MEM so I can stop at Interstate BBQ there. If Southwest adds MEM (a pretty big "if" in today's market) there will be enough flights to enough cities to give you some reasonable connecting flight options, including to FL and the west coast. Southwest is making noise about international partnerships (and WestJet has been pre-announced), but I don't expect any such partnership to be extensive or convenient.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: Northworst PE, Holiday Inn PC Platimum
Thumbs down

Am I going to be supplied with an industrial size jar of Vaseline when purchasing my next ticket on NWA...or is it Delta? I can see a bending over the counter in the near future!!! I still stand behind what I said a month ago...NOTHING GOOD will come of this!!!!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
. And I'll have to decide whether to stay in the NW/DL frequent flyer program or ask another program to admit me at a gold level in their program (I'm told it's not that hard to negotiate that sort of thing).

I hear that US Air has a few openings for elite travelers these days.....
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I found out in-flight this evening on NW DTW-LAS when the FA made the announcement.

I am somewhat sad by this announcment. NW you have treated us very well for many years in the Upper Midwest and been a lifeblood to our communities.

I certainly hope that DL continues to do so. No one likes change and there is a lot of unknown out there.

I've been loyal to the bitter end toward NW, but I'm beginning to see the light and perhaps after this year I may be going solely on price. Hello WN, F9, and AA again. We shall see.

DL please don't mess up a good thing. Buyer beware.....
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
We all knew it was going to happen. I suppose some of us hoped for some miracle, but... it's happening. Personally, I'm not a fan of DL and I've been very happy with NW. Of course I would like NW to stay the same or continue to improve in its own way, but... <gasp> that's that.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:39 am

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
I found out in-flight this evening on NW DTW-LAS when the FA made the announcement.

I am somewhat sad by this announcment. NW you have treated us very well for many years in the Upper Midwest and been a lifeblood to our communities.

I certainly hope that DL continues to do so. No one likes change and there is a lot of unknown out there.

I've been loyal to the bitter end toward NW, but I'm beginning to see the light and perhaps after this year I may be going solely on price. Hello WN, F9, and AA again. We shall see.

DL please don't mess up a good thing. Buyer beware.....
Would be interested to hear what the FA said in flight re: the merger!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.