Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DOJ approves the merger!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yep, CO will be leaving from Skyteam and will be transferred to Star Alliance to joins with UA, US, LH, AC, NH, CA, SQ, TG, NZ, OS, BD, and etc.

Well there is still some time left to enjoy some CO benefits if you want them. In my case I'll definitely miss the CO PC at DFW which is far better than the DL CRC (CRC is farther from NW gates, inferior snacks, and the idiot paid wifi).

As I understand it there are still a few formalities before CO can formally file for "divorce" from Skyteam and even then it has to wait 9 months to actually disconnect.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Well it was coming and to some extent we just have to adjust now. Sucks for most who truly loved the NW product. I guess we can call ourselves NW elites til forever...
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Anybody that thinks this merger is about cementing the #1 position in the US domestic market hasn't been paying attention to the industry. This is about giving DL/NW the capacity to become an international heavyweight, something neither one of them could conceivably do on their own.
And in the long run unlikely to succeed at. KL/AF suddenly is stagnant. Richard Anderson today is already talking about having to shrink internationally for at least next two years. In the Pacific arena Virgin Australia (fully owned subsidiary of Virgin Blue -- a true LCC) is pushing northwards from Oz. Give us a couple more true LCC's (esp in the TATL market) & the game will be over.

Simple people think that today's changes are the end game, whereas they're simply the start of the next crisis & round of changes.

Originally Posted by M11Stephen
This day couldn't get any worse. Nine out of ten times when I fly its on NW. Now when I fly, instead of dealing with down to earth friendly employees i'll have to deal with employees that act like the Price is Right contestants. Instead of watching the "safety dance" in the aisle by the F/As ill be watching Dirtbagalina.
Watching Deltalina will be one part of the merger I can't get enough of. She's a babe!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Simple people think that today's changes are the end game
Not me.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Not me.
who knows?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Press Release from Delta, on delta.com FAQ on nwa.com

http://news.delta.com/article_displa...ticle_id=11176
http://www.nwa.com/merger/faq/

Delta and Northwest Merge, Creating Premier Global Airline

Customers can expect ‘business as usual’ with no immediate changes in operations

ATLANTA, Oct. 29, 2008 – Delta Air Lines, Inc. (NYSE: DAL) and Northwest Airlines, Inc. today merged, creating a premier global airline with service to nearly all of the world’s major travel markets.

The new airline, called Delta and headquartered in Atlanta, will begin its first day as a combined company with a commitment to delivering excellent service to customers in 66 countries and more than 375 worldwide cities – more than any other airline; with a dedicated base of approximately 75,000 worldwide employees; and with a best-in-class cost structure and strong liquidity balance that better positions the company to adapt to the weakening global economy.

“The airline industry faces a very difficult economic environment around the world and this merger gives Delta increased flexibility to adapt to the economic challenges ahead,” said Delta CEO Richard Anderson. “With much of the work to bring our airlines together well under way, the new Delta will be at the front of the pack in achieving the benefits of consolidation and is well positioned to navigate the tough waters ahead in a difficult economy.”

With the completion of the merger, Northwest Airlines is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta. Customers should continue to check-in and do business directly with the airline operating their flight just as they did before the merger. Delta will continue operation of the airlines’ separate Web sites, www.delta.com and www.nwa.com, as well as the two airlines’ reservations systems and loyalty programs.

The companies will be integrated through a thoughtful process with customer benefits rolled out over the next 12-24 months, including:

* The addition of Delta’s code to nearly all of the Northwest system by the end of 2008, creating thousands of additional connecting opportunities.
* Immediate complimentary upgrade reciprocity for elite members of both airlines’ loyalty programs, with airport lounge reciprocity continuing as usual.
* The launch of a fully consolidated worldwide flight schedule in advance of summer 2009;
* The introduction of elements of Delta’s brand throughout the Northwest system beginning in spring 2009, including Delta’s popular Richard Tyler designer uniforms, Delta’s livery, “signature cocktails,” enhanced in-flight entertainment and other onboard amenities.
* The consolidation of the Delta and Northwest loyalty programs, ultimately including the ability to combine miles from SkyMiles and WorldPerks accounts at a one-to-one ratio.
* The full integration of Delta and Northwest Web sites, kiosks, and customer-facing technology to ensure a consistent worldwide travel experience.

Delta has already invested significant resources to ensure a seamless transition for customers, including receiving clearance from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) of the airline’s plan to achieve a Single Operating Certificate over the next 14-16 months; adding extra staffing and technology at check-in counters and kiosks to provide added customer assistance beginning today; and posting complete merger information at www.delta.com and www.nwa.com to provide customers added assistance.

Employees share in success of combined company with equity stake, platform for future growth

As a result of the merger, employees will share in the success of the new company through an expanded ownership share in the combined company. In the coming days, Delta will distribute an equity stake to substantially all U.S.-based employees with international employees participating through cash payments in lieu of stock.

"Ensuring our employees are able to share in the benefits of the merger from the beginning is a prime example of the Delta Difference," Anderson said. "By sharing ownership with Delta’s people, we are not only recognizing the critical role employees will play in successfully integrating two customer-focused companies, we are also making good on a longstanding commitment that our employees will share in the success of the company."

Delta also has completed other key steps to ensure that employees benefit from the merger and are protected as the two companies’ workforces are combined. Specifically, Delta:

* Completed an unprecedented agreement with the Delta and Northwest units of the Air Line Pilots Association, Intl. (ALPA) on a joint contract that unifies both pilot groups under one pilot working agreement effective tomorrow. Additionally, the two pilot groups have agreed to a collaborative process that will achieve a combined seniority list;
* Committed that no frontline employees will be involuntarily furloughed as a result of the merger and that no hubs will be closed; and
* Implemented a seniority protection policy that ensures that frontline employees of both airlines will be provided seniority protection through a fair-and-equitable process.

Financial footing strengthened, providing increased flexibility to adapt to challenging global economic conditions

The closing of the Delta-Northwest merger brings together two of the industry’s most financially secure airlines to produce a best-in-class cost structure and an industry-leading balance sheet. The transaction is expected to generate $2 billion or more in annual revenue and cost synergies from more effective aircraft utilization, a more comprehensive and diversified route system, and cost synergies from reduced overhead and improved operational efficiency. The company expects to incur one-time cash costs not exceeding $600 million to integrate the two airlines.

As approved by both companies’ stockholders earlier this year, Northwest stockholders will receive 1.25 Delta shares for each Northwest share they own. Based on Delta’s closing stock price on Oct. 29, 2008, this exchange ratio is the equivalent of $9.99 per Northwest common share.

“In today’s economic climate, this merger makes even more sense because we can capture $2 billion in annual synergies and build the foundation for profitable growth through improved revenues, a best-in-class cost structure and a strong liquidity position,” said Edward Bastian, Delta’s president and chief financial officer, and the new CEO and president of NWA. “As we have proven, this is a different type of merger for the industry thanks to the complementary nature of the two airlines and the caliber of the people who will make this the most successful merger in airline history,” Bastian continued.

Delta closed the merger after receiving notice from the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) that it would not challenge the merger after reviewing its competitive impact. Earlier this year, the merger also received clearance from the European Commission.

Delta today also announced the members of its new Board of Directors, effective immediately. Delta Chairman of the Board Daniel Carp remains chairman while Northwest Chairman Roy Bostock becomes vice chairman. Other directors will include seven from Delta’s Board – Richard Anderson, John S. Brinzo, Eugene I. Davis, David R. Goode, Paula Rosput Reynolds, Kenneth C. Rogers, and Kenneth B. Woodrow, and four from Northwest’s Board – John M. Engler, Mickey P. Foret, Rodney E. Slater and former Northwest CEO Douglas Steenland. Delta had previously announced the structure of its new Board during the merger announcement last spring.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
After 25 years of flying NW, I'm going to miss the red tail.
Some memories from the return portion of my first NW round trip in July 1983
NW 727 @ FAR
MSP gates full of red tailed 727's
DC-10 w/ 2-4-2 seating
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:06 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Boys and Girls... with this little tidbit you better get your awards booked and fast! If you've been reading the DL board about the new 3-tier award system, there's nary a 25k award to be had anymore... talk about dilution!

Originally Posted by stevekstevek
* The consolidation of the Delta and Northwest loyalty programs, ultimately including the ability to combine miles from SkyMiles and WorldPerks accounts at a one-to-one ratio.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: AirTran Elite
Angry deep in mourning--the destruction of the red tail

I am crushed and devastated. Much like a loved one you know who is nearing the end, although you know it's coming, when it finally happens....

Haven't been this upset since the tragic day in 1988 when the cursed USAir "airlines" acquired and destoyed much beloved Piedmont, killing the speed bird.

Since then I have become a devoted NW flyer. There is to me, no sight more beautiful than landing in DTW or MSP and seeing that magnificent sea of red tails. Happy to connect via DTW to get from the east coast to FL and do it routinely.

I will be lighting my memorial candle. Have a flight on NW on Saturday and guess that it will be my last as I will do nothing to enrich the hated DL. To think of that disgusting widget on our beautiful airplanes or NW personnel being forced into widget uniforms in March. I couldn't handle it.

Planning to cut up the elite card and send it back, but to Eagen or to ATL?
Any idea how i get another carrier to match my status and therby earn my empassioned loyalty? What's hard is that my two most frequent destinations are FWA and SRQ.

Also--anyone have a source for NW forever buttons or something i can wear to annoy DL personnel any chance I have?

Did I mention being beyond upset?
Thanks for enduring my rant.
Don't tell me to get over it. Won't happen until DL meets the same fate as the real US Airways.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:22 pm

Programs: DELTA
Angry Appropriate Quote from Star Trek TNG...

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081029/delta_northwest.html

From the Delta BORG: You have been assimilated... resistance is futile!

-A

P.S. "So Long, Red Tail!"

P.P.S. When are we going to merge our boards on FT together? I think I'm going to go out and change my FT profile from "NW Plat" to "DL Plat"... Shuzbutt!!!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
As I sit at a WN gate in FLL for a quick hop to TPA...I have to wonder if WN has a larger role to play in my future.

I knew this day was coming, but I guess a part of me just hoped it wouldn't.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Phil2016
As I sit at a WN gate in FLL for a quick hop to TPA...I have to wonder if WN has a larger role to play in my future.
^

Yup!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Watching Deltalina will be one part of the merger I can't get enough of. She's a babe!
Someone has been drinking the Delta kool aid. I've watched that video many times and I still don't see whats so great about her. (No, I'm not gay. I've seen many attractive female F/As in my life)
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M11Stephen
Someone has been drinking the Delta kool aid
A rather odd accusation, in my case.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by thezipper
Boys and Girls... with this little tidbit you better get your awards booked and fast! If you've been reading the DL board about the new 3-tier award system, there's nary a 25k award to be had anymore... talk about dilution!
DL's lousy SkyMiles are coming NW's customers' way and it won't be pretty -- award availability and pricing is ugly and it's going to get even more ugly for more customers as a result of this.

DL-NW will toss the customers a bone over the fuel surcharges, but only because three of DL-NW's US-based competitors actually still do offer some "free" award travel while DL-NW doesn't offer any "free" travel and because fuel prices have fallen so far so fast (just after DL-NW introduced the fuel surcharges). [DL-NW collects more than just taxes on every award ticket and they do so in order to milk SkyMiles-WorldPerks customers; fortunately three of the majors have award tickets that aren't just another cash collecting opportunity for airline to increase revenue and profits at the customers' expense when the customer is trying to redeem a "free" award ticket (and not the somewhat discounted paid travel requiring miles that DL SkyMiles has been turning into).]

It was good while it lasted but DL finally skewered it with the help of this government's anti-regulating "regulators". I just hope DL-NW don't come running to Uncle Sam for a bailout later to ask the public to socialize the losses from this big gamble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.