Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Upgrade Helpful Tips

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2007, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kcnwa
What is, timing OLCI when R is released inside 24 hours and hitting it before a plat.
When the number of seats in R bucket is less than the number of plats on one PNR. In such a situation I can see even a non-elie companion getting an upgrade in case there are two R seats and there are, say 4 Plats on one PNR. Plats will be passed over and the two seats could go to a plat and thier companion.
We learnt the hard way. Now we split the record even though we are all Plats.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 6:19 am
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by Yaatri
When the number of seats in R bucket is less than the number of plats on one PNR. In such a situation I can see even a non-elie companion getting an upgrade in case there are two R seats and there are, say 4 Plats on one PNR. Plats will be passed over and the two seats could go to a plat and thier companion.
We learnt the hard way. Now we split the record even though we are all Plats.
Okay, I forgot about that one, but I knew it from FT.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 6:26 am
ed1

Originally Posted by Yaatri
I concur. Often I have no tags, although I have been a plat for almost a decade. My wife and children are on their third year and some of the bags still have GE tags.
I'm sure I wasn't the only one with an old tag, but I might have been using some of the oldest tags, until the next to last one of each got lost:

AA's AC tag from around '83 and EA's IC tag from around '82. And I think I still have a UA 500K mi. tag a friend gave me back in the '70 on an old suitcase in storage somewhere.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Warning! Separate your reservations!

As a Gold Elite, I just found out I lost my upgrade chance for all my upcoming flights because of a non-elite companion. NWA website, with the helpful but bad news information for me (courtesy of NWScoop - thanks for putting this together!) says:

Silver and Gold Elite members, if your reservation includes one or more companions who are not WorldPerks Elite members, your upgrade will not be processed. To upgrade yourself, you will need to divide your reservation at nwa.com | Manage My Reservations. Once divided, your reservation will be automatically upgraded.
I believe I have gotten upgrades with a non-elite or lower level elite in the past, but at least for now, you completely lose upgrade rights for yourself (much less a companion) if you don't separate your reservations!

Don't at all like that policy, but at least I know what to do about it for the future.

PS - it is still more than 24 hours before, should I separate our PNRs now - would it do any good at this point? (they claim there are no first class seats available at this time).
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:03 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I would seperate and then check in at the 24 hr mark... unless you are on a high yeild route (DCA-MSP) where the # of Plats on the list can run 15-20 ... are they claiming P0F0 or R0 ? There is a difference.

Originally Posted by GrizShel
PS - it is still more than 24 hours before, should I separate our PNRs now - would it do any good at this point? (they claim there are no first class seats available at this time).
Old Oct 16, 2007, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper
... are they claiming P0F0 or R0 ? There is a difference.
Acronym explanation, please?

On the phone now getting the reservations separated.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First

P and F are actual seats in FC. R is "upgrade seats" which are a subset of P and F. So the question is: are there no seats available in FC or no upgrade seats (R) available at this time.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First

BTW they are not acronyms they are fare classes P / F = First Class full fare and Discount and R = upgrade fare class
Old Oct 16, 2007, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
BTW they are not acronyms they are fare classes P / F = First Class full fare and Discount and R = upgrade fare class
thanks for the interpretation.

Both flights appear to have the first class cabin full according to seatcounter and NW has stopped selling first class seats on the flights. So I doubt I'll have success this time.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:30 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
I've got a DFW-DTW flight booked in T on 6 Jan (4 days away) thats showing R9 but no sign of a PE upgrade yet. This was booked when I was a GE and after making PE last week, I called the Elite line to remove and insert my WP number again, and confirmed that it was showing Platinum status. I called the Elite line again just now and they confirmed I was showing as Plat but just said that the upgrade request has been "queued". What's going on?
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:58 am
2mg

This is a great resource. It's rather nice having a NW rep in the room! I'm not sure other forums can say the same.

Last edited by 2mg; Jan 2, 2008 at 8:04 am
Old Mar 7, 2008, 1:40 am

Programs: CO Plat., Marriott Platinum, Starwood Plat., Delta Gold
Co Plats. Can Get Upgrades On Nwa Coach Awards, Right?

Thanks In Advance....
Old Mar 7, 2008, 2:43 am
ed1

Originally Posted by Meals@Mealtime
Thanks In Advance....
On all NW "domestic" award flights (those for which one would be eligible on a paid ticket).

Upgrades on WorldPerks Award Tickets
Platinum Elite and Gold Elite members may upgrade PerkSaver Award and PerkPass Award tickets. These tickets will be automatically upgraded 1 day prior to departure if a seat is available for upgrades (only available on Northwest-operated flights).
Old Mar 7, 2008, 3:02 am

Programs: CO Plat., Marriott Platinum, Starwood Plat., Delta Gold
What About Upgrade W/ Co Plats. Using Co Miles On Co Award Tickets, But On Nwa Metal?

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2008, 4:32 am
ed1

Originally Posted by Meals@Mealtime
Thanks
Sorry, I misread, only NW WP GEs and PEs get UGs on award tickets, not CO OP elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.