Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Upgrade Helpful Tips

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Well with 139k eqm's this year I have rarely paid more than a K fare (maybe once or twice) on all very elite heavy routes BOS-SFO/LAX and have only missed 2 UG all year. I realize that fare class likely plays a role in BF's but the quote you cite does not say fare classes but rather "class of service" which is the cabin not the fare. It is my belief from experience that the date of booking is the tie breaker not the fare class (other than Y and B)
Umm, ok, you got me here. I'm confused. You say "class of service" equals "cabin not fare". If you purchased FC, you aren't eligible for EUA as you're already in FC! What other cabin is there? NW only flies two-class service flights domestically, first or coach.

Help me?

-RM
PS - I did just arrive in London after flying all night so I'm a bit tired and might be missing what you're saying.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:18 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Even if fare basis is a factor in determining EUA priority within an Elite level, I have seen a situation in which Gold or, I imagine, a Silver with the same fare basis can trump a Platinum. In fact a gold can trump not just a platinum but platinums even if the the gold purchases his ticket at the same time as the platinums and with the same farebasis. This is a quiz guys. Does anyone know the answer?
This (lower level elite trumps higher level elite) should only happen in a few circumstances: if it's a full Y fare, -26, -27, -UP fare (even a non-elite goes up on a -UP), they're a PE companion on the same PNR, purchased UG or F/P ticket, received an UG at EUA before the higher level elite's ticket was in the system, or the were booked into F (from VDB, etc.) by CSA. I think I covered all the exceptions, not just those that fit your example.

Last edited by ed1; Sep 9, 2007 at 12:29 pm
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ed1
This (lower level elite trumps higher level elite) should only happen in a few circumstances: if it's a full Y fare, -26, -27, -UP fare (even a non-elite goes up on a -UP), they're a PE companion on the same PNR, purchased UG or F/P ticket, received an UG at EUA before the higher level elite's ticket was in the system, or the were booked into F (from VDB, etc.) by CSA. I think I covered all the exceptions, not just those that fit your example.
There is one more scenario that's not covered by any of the reasons you mentioned. I had already excluded the differences in fare bases or the date of purchase as the cause as I was talking about the situation when the two were identical.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
There is one more scenario that's not covered by any of the reasons you mentioned. I had already excluded the differences in fare bases or the date of purchase as the cause as I was talking about the situation when the two were identical.
If the Gate Agent is in the Men's room at MSP tapping his foot? I'm sure that'd get you an upgrade regardless of your fare class.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Sorry to interject, but I'd like to post my thanks to NW Scoop for continuing to positively contribute... the page is a step in the right direction!

I sure would like to know more about what MNAudiS4 posted, because I've seen it too (Silvers on non-full-fare tickets trumping Plats who purchased in advance of the 5-day window but in a lower fare class).
Old Sep 10, 2007, 6:12 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
Fare class, when you book all come into play.

I have seen silvers and golds on 800 dollar tickets to San jose upgraded 4/5 days out while i have to fight for a battlefield on a 425 dollar ticket.

They can admit it or deny it, but i have seen it 5 times now going to our corporate headquarters in san jose.

They buy B fares i buy the H fare and fight for the upgrade,
Unless it's a B-UP fare, a mileage or purchased UG, or a PE companion UG, I can't see any way it should happen.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 6:58 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
I got a F upgrade on a V fare along with a "Thank you for being such a good customer of our airline" last Saturday night DTW-DUS. Completely unasked for, completely exciting, and completely wonderful! It must have been oversold, but still...my gosh! I must have done something right.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
I sure would like to know more about what MNAudiS4 posted, because I've seen it too (Silvers on non-full-fare tickets trumping Plats who purchased in advance of the 5-day window but in a lower fare class).
I have seen this as well. I was flying with a co-worker who was a silver on a M-fare who was upgraded before me (Platinum on a H-fare) in May. In fact, when I was a Silver a few years ago, I was the beneficiary of this a few times.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 5:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kcnwa
If the Gate Agent is in the Men's room at MSP tapping his foot? I'm sure that'd get you an upgrade regardless of your fare class.
Ha Ha. Really, there is a scenario in which a PE can be passed over for upgrades although their time of purchase or farebasis was no worse or better than that of a the junior elite who passed them over.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 6:24 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Ha Ha. Really, there is a scenario in which a PE can be passed over for upgrades although their time of purchase or farebasis was no worse or better than that of a the junior elite who passed them over.
What is, timing OLCI when R is released inside 24 hours and hitting it before a plat.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 7:53 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Silver / Gold UPgrade before Plat

Originally Posted by shiner
I have seen this as well. I was flying with a co-worker who was a silver on a M-fare who was upgraded before me (Platinum on a H-fare) in May. In fact, when I was a Silver a few years ago, I was the beneficiary of this a few times.
It has happened to me only the SJC/PHX/SFO flights from MSP. Happens more on the SJC flight than any other flight.

Everytime i have other co-workers that book different fare classes that are gold/silver and they get upgraded before me. I have sat next to a number of people from XYZ that bought a 8xx dollar ticket 10 days out and that was silver or gold and got upgraded, 3-5 days out. While i got a battlefield upgrade.

Just look at all the silver/gold tags when you don't get your upgrade sitting up in first class.

It is what it is, it happens more on the routes that tend to have the high B/M fares within 2 weeks of departure
Old Sep 11, 2007, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ed1
Unless it's a B-UP fare, a mileage or purchased UG, or a PE companion UG, I can't see any way it should happen.
It was not a B-Up fare at the time.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Everytime i have other co-workers that book different fare classes that are gold/silver and they get upgraded before me. I have sat next to a number of people from XYZ that bought a 8xx dollar ticket 10 days out and that was silver or gold and got upgraded, 3-5 days out. While i got a battlefield upgrade.
Seems like you should send a TTU note or PM NW Scoop with the details, including you and your colleagues' ticket info, when that happens. There may be a bug in the system but often the only way they can trace it is to examine a specific example.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:30 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Just look at all the silver/gold tags when you don't get your upgrade sitting up in first class.
That's not always a good indication. On my last 2 AMS-DTW flights I thought it was raining gold tags, but when I started to look more carefully I noticed that most of them were from previous years. (I even saw a AF Frequence Plus tag, and that program has been discontinued for a while now.)
Old Sep 12, 2007, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by florin
That's not always a good indication. On my last 2 AMS-DTW flights I thought it was raining gold tags, but when I started to look more carefully I noticed that most of them were from previous years. (I even saw a AF Frequence Plus tag, and that program has been discontinued for a while now.)
I concur. Often I have no tags, although I have been a plat for almost a decade. My wife and children are on their third year and some of the bags still have GE tags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.