Nine days in Iceland in August, could use some advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nine days in Iceland in August, could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Since August is fast approaching, I sat my wife down to look at the itinerary I originally put together last November (since she usually leaves trip planning up to me). The results were...interesting. One takeaway was that hotel-hopping was no longer off the table. So, I would greatly appreciate some collective wisdom.
Our original plan had us being based out of Reykjavik for five nights and Hveragerdi for four more. We will definitely not be active every single day, so figured four major non-local attractions from either location: Vik/Reynisfjara, Landmannalaugar, Kirkjufell, Westmann Islands. After showing her some Game of Thrones location, some of which are based around Myvatn/Akureyri, she began reconsidering her original stance of not moving around the country too much. So this is the alternative we are currently looking at:

8/4 - arrive; stay in Reykjavik (probably in our originally-planned Nordica hotel)
8/5 - drive to Kirkjufell/Arnarstapi; stay for the night at either Dalahyttur Lodge or Dalahotel in Budardalur
8/6 - drive to Akureyri, stay...probably at Hotel Kjarnalundur since that's the only place around that is at least somewhat affordable anymore (good thing we're not doing this at the end of July, at least)
8/6-8/8 - Myvatn/GoT locations and the general exploration of the area
8/9 - Drive from Akureyri to Hveragerdi for a couple of nights. We can either take the Ring Road back again or F35. We will have a Duster at our disposal. Can anyone comment on whether or not F35 is worth the extra hour and reduced comfort?
8/9-8/11 - Stay in Hveragerdi (since we still want to stay at least a couple nights at the F&F) and probably take one of the previously-planned trips (most likely to Westmann).
8/11-8/13 - relocate to Reykjavik, which affords us another day trip (I would try for Landmannalaugar).

In essence, we'd be trading Vik (which isn't a given anyways) and possibly Landmannalaugar, as well as the Golden Ring (which, honestly, I'm less concerned about) and probably at least an extra $1000 for checking out a completely different area of the country. In my mind it could be worth it, but would love to hear what y'all have to say on the subject.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I just got back from a few days in Reykjavik and stayed at the Konsulat Curio Hilton. We did see the Nordica but it was a little further from the main part of town (at least from a simple walking exercise). I was initially concerned about the parking situation but it turned out to be a non-issue. There's a public lot about a block away from the Curio and while it's billed as around $25/day (better than the $60/day option the hotel advertises), it's actually by the hour. There aren't "in-and-out" privileges, per se, but we noticed it just charged us by the hour as we left each time. So, in theory, you'd only end up paying the full amount if you left the vehicle parked for a full 24 hours. All things being equal (price/points), I think the Curio is slightly better-located if you want to walk around town. Also, you'd still get free breakfast as a Hilton Gold.

I'd also give a thumb's up to the Sky Lagoon. We did it on our arrival day and it was the perfect antidote to a long travel day. Now I want to go to a lagoon and soak and relax after arriving from any trip!
Old Jun 25, 2023, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear
All things being equal (price/points), I think the Curio is slightly better-located if you want to walk around town.
That's just the thing, though - they're not. Curio is 80K points, Nordica is 60K. Had they been equal, it wouldn't even have been a question because of Curio's far superior location.
I'd also give a thumb's up to the Sky Lagoon. We did it on our arrival day and it was the perfect antidote to a long travel day. Now I want to go to a lagoon and soak and relax after arriving from any trip!
Yeah, it's definitely on the list.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
If you do opt for Akureyri, we spent time at the Mývatn Nature Baths last August, and we enjoyed it. We did reserve in advance there, but I don't think it is as hyped as Blue Lagoon, so may be a lower key option. Eating in their attached cafe (cafeteria style) worked out well for us.
https://myvatnnaturebaths.is/

From my perspective as a repeat visitor who prefers less touristy experiences, you only need to do one of the "big name" spa-type experiences (unless that's really your thing), and (as I know I've said before) might also want to visit a local pool to compare/contrast and meet locals.

The geothermal park in that region was cool to visit, and made an interesting counterpoint to where I grew up in the Pacific NW. I recall my region figuring out how to recover after Mt. St. Helens erupted in the 80's, and learned last year from our tour guide how far ahead Iceland was on understanding the recovery process for the land after volcanic events.

We did a private day tour in this area with Star Travel and that was worth the money. (It was the only full day, private tour we booked on this particular journey; we don't usually do group tours, but selectively use them where I think it'll give the most bang for the buck.) We didn't want to rent a car, which was part of that choice. Our guide was quite knowledgeable, and she added a lot to my time here.
https://www.startravel.is/private-tours

As an aside, this day was the only one in Iceland where we wore the insect head nets we had packed mainly for the Greenland portion of our trip. The little flies were SUPER annoying and got all over you, but I don't think they were biting.

Old Jun 25, 2023, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Yeah, Myvatn generally looks pretty awesome, but the gnats are giving me pause. I hate insects of all kinds. But even still, I'm actually kinda leaning towards the second alternative. Just need to figure out what I am willing to give up. I'm totally OK not going to the Blue Lagoon, but I do want to try to make it to Sky Lagoon.

Thinking out loud, if we're driving down F35 (which looks far less daunting than the other option - F26) and arrive on the South Coast on the evening of the 9th, we'll have three solid days before we take off. Baking in a day of rest in the middle, we'd probably be able to see two major things at the most and my wife (as well as I) is rather adamant about Westmann being one of them. So that basically means one of Diamong Beach or Landmannalaugar (or even both, depending on how tired we are) is out. I am thinking - correct me if I'm wrong here - that F35 might actually expose us to sights that aren't entirely unlike Landmannalaugar (multicolored hills), so I'm not too broken up about it. I did want to see "Eastwatch by the Sea", so skipping Vik is kind of a shame, but if we do both it and Westmann, we'll leave ourselves basically no time to see Reykjavik and I'd like to spend at least a solid day there. Ugh, decisions.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
If it makes you feel any better, I felt like I was going to a wildly "off the beaten path" the first time I headed to Iceland. It is SO easy to reach from New England, however, that I've been back several more times, often as a short break en route to Europe that reduces my jet lag and gives me a chance to see one more corner of the lovely island nation.

Now I feel like Iceland is easy to get to, and have confidence I will return. I find it a wonderful country for short, relaxed visits! (Again, my love of those pools.)

So I hope if you focus on your top sights this visit, you will just return to do another region another day.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by willoL
If it makes you feel any better, I felt like I was going to a wildly "off the beaten path" the first time I headed to Iceland. It is SO easy to reach from New England, however, that I've been back several more times, often as a short break en route to Europe that reduces my jet lag and gives me a chance to see one more corner of the lovely island nation.

Now I feel like Iceland is easy to get to, and have confidence I will return. I find it a wonderful country for short, relaxed visits! (Again, my love of those pools.)

So I hope if you focus on your top sights this visit, you will just return to do another region another day.
Yeah, that's the other thing I keep reminding myself of - Iceland is a fairly easy destination from MSP and I still want to show my wife the Faroes, so one of these days we'll repeat. So I think we're actually going to go with the modified route and take the southern half of the Ring road next time on the way to Seydisfjordur and the Faroese ferry.

I'm honestly not focused on the "top sights", because I hate going to overcrowded places. Perfectly happy going off the beaten path, even if it means springing for the full car insurance package for once in my life.
willoL likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Yep, ended up re-booking everything, including the rental car, which we are now picking up from Lotus, complete with their Platinum insurance plan (I don't have a good grasp on how well Amex insurance covers F-roads, so better safe), right upon arrival.

We'll still be at the Nordica for one night (our first), then Dalahyttur lodge on the way to Akureyri/Dalvik. Then we're staying at Dalvik Aurora Hotel for three nights and back to Hveragerdi for F&F for two, instead of four, nights (they already responded to me, which was a bit shocking). And then, since, apparently availability opened up between last night and this morning and Nordica is not available, our last two nights are at Curio Parliament. So much for not hotel-hopping
Old Jun 25, 2023, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Iceland is an amazing place. You will have one great trip!

I did stay at Hilton Nordica. I found it quite adequate for my needs.
You might find answers to some of your questions in general, I'd refer to a trip report which I posted in the TR Forum. Hope this does not come across as self bloviating.

Land of Fire and Ice – Iceland Ring Road Adventure on Wheels - FlyerTalk Forums
highlanderfil likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 1:13 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
F35 is pretty gnarly, I might try it in a Land Rover or Land Cruiser but not a Duster. We spent two nights in Myvatn about 10 years ago, the bugs were annoying near our hotel and near Daddi's Pizza (highly recommended), but no bother at the nature baths, the geothermal areas, or climbing Hverfjall. Folks do recommend cheap head/hat nets that solves the bug problem nicely

Consider Into the Volcano. It's truly a unique experience to enter a volcano (inactive) from the top and be lowered into it on like a window washing rig. We've done that and Thorsmork (not done Landmannalaugar), and the Volcano is the one we still talk about
Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
Yep, ended up re-booking everything, including the rental car, which we are now picking up from Lotus, complete with their Platinum insurance plan (I don't have a good grasp on how well Amex insurance covers F-roads, so better safe), right upon arrival.

We'll still be at the Nordica for one night (our first), then Dalahyttur lodge on the way to Akureyri/Dalvik. Then we're staying at Dalvik Aurora Hotel for three nights and back to Hveragerdi for F&F for two, instead of four, nights (they already responded to me, which was a bit shocking). And then, since, apparently availability opened up between last night and this morning and Nordica is not available, our last two nights are at Curio Parliament. So much for not hotel-hopping
How was Curio Parliament? We are considering staying there over Konsulat & Canopy but would love to hear from someone who stayed there.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unluckyflyer
How was Curio Parliament? We are considering staying there over Konsulat & Canopy but would love to hear from someone who stayed there.
We absolutely loved it. One of the few properties in Iceland that has AC. The spa facilities are fantastic (free if you have Gold or above). The breakfast was pretty good, too. And the location is about as central as it can get. Parking is a bit problematic (I don't think they have a garage of their own), but solvable (there's a paid lot right across and we typically didn't have a problem finding street parking, either).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.