Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hotels in HEL

Marriott Hotels in HEL

Old Jul 25, 22, 9:38 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 27,115
Marriott Hotels in HEL

I'm going to be there for a weekend late November. I want to stay as close as possible to restaurants, bars, attractions.

The three properties Marriott has there are below. Can anyone recommend what hotel will satisfy these requirements? Being near a doner kebab place is important too.

!. St George Hotel
2. Hotel U14, Autograph Collection
3. Hotel Katajanokka, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
enviroian is offline  
Old Jul 26, 22, 8:10 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Plat
Posts: 753
Katajanokka is a suburb (although very close to downtown), so you can forget about it.

St. George and U14 are both in downtown. St. George is located a bit closer to the area locals tend to go and that has the highest concentration of restaurants, whereas U14 is a bit to side, but slightly closer to the Market Square, around which most of the tourist attractions and upscale restaurants are. However the distance between these two is quite marginal (about 10 minutes by foot).

Eerikin Pippuri at Eerikinkatu 17 is considered by many the best kebab establishment in downtown Helsinki. It's 7 minutes away by foot from St. George. (But there are other kebab stalls closer)
GUWonder likes this.
r2d2 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 22, 9:28 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 27,115
Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
Katajanokka is a suburb (although very close to downtown), so you can forget about it.

St. George and U14 are both in downtown. St. George is located a bit closer to the area locals tend to go and that has the highest concentration of restaurants, whereas U14 is a bit to side, but slightly closer to the Market Square, around which most of the tourist attractions and upscale restaurants are. However the distance between these two is quite marginal (about 10 minutes by foot).

Eerikin Pippuri at Eerikinkatu 17 is considered by many the best kebab establishment in downtown Helsinki. It's 7 minutes away by foot from St. George. (But there are other kebab stalls closer)
Thank you for the advice!
r2d2 likes this.
enviroian is offline  
Old Jul 31, 22, 11:15 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Northern California
Posts: 91
While I am quite fond of the prison hotel on Katajanokka (especially the junior suite with in-room sauna) I can muster no argument in favor of it if you are looking for a place in immediate proximity to sights and food. The hotel does have a nice restaurant and there's a cake shop like a block away but anything else is further afield and the island is indeed a bit sleepy. St. George has a very nice cafe in the basement that serves huge pastries. I stayed in the basic points redemption room there for a couple of days and while the room was small it was nicely furnished and peaceful. Haven't stayed at U14 but I imagine there's no reason not to recommend it. In short, I am ashamed to admit I have nothing to add to this conversation... but have a great time in Helsinki!
enviroian likes this.
Phrastus is offline  
Old Jan 22, 23, 6:05 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DFWex-BOS
Programs: AAPLT 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Posts: 1,264
If I can piggyback on this thread
im flying DFW-HEL-BKK in a couple weeks. Outbound is no problem, just a 5 hour layover in HEL. On the return tho, I have an overnight transit, where I land in HEL at 6:00PM, and leave at 12:20PM the next day? Would it be worth it to go into the city, or should I just forgo Bonvoy and book an airport hotel?

I will have spent 3 weeks traveling around Thailand and Vietnam, so not sure if Ill have the energy for any more adventures. On the other hand, when will I ever be in HEL again?
NotDuncan is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 6:53 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: Tucson, AZ
Programs: AA PPro, Hyatt GLOB, AC 50K
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by NotDuncan View Post
If I can piggyback on this thread
im flying DFW-HEL-BKK in a couple weeks. Outbound is no problem, just a 5 hour layover in HEL. On the return tho, I have an overnight transit, where I land in HEL at 6:00PM, and leave at 12:20PM the next day? Would it be worth it to go into the city, or should I just forgo Bonvoy and book an airport hotel?

I will have spent 3 weeks traveling around Thailand and Vietnam, so not sure if Ill have the energy for any more adventures. On the other hand, when will I ever be in HEL again?
I'd be pretty torn on this one and think it probably depends on your energy level. You certainly can go into the city and do some stuff. The day of the week will likely determine the activity levels. Things stay open till 9-10ish and stores close starting around 8. I don't think the airport is a bad option if you just want to relax - there's plenty there landside like a grocery store, some OK restaurants, and the Plaza Premium arrivals lounge if you have access to that. The Hilton is a good option at the airport. I've stayed there and thought it was perfectly serviceable.

Going in to the city center will take you about 30-45 minutes each way. The train is quite easy to ride. I'd do the St George or U14 depending on budget, and you'd probably have time for a dinner and a light breakfast. Cafe Bar No 9 is a good later-night dinner option near those if you want to venture out, and I'd also recommend Green Hippo (more options) or We Got This (better coffee) for breakfast.
cactus584 is offline  
Old Jan 24, 23, 10:37 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DFWex-BOS
Programs: AAPLT 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Posts: 1,264
Originally Posted by cactus584 View Post
I'd be pretty torn on this one and think it probably depends on your energy level. You certainly can go into the city and do some stuff. The day of the week will likely determine the activity levels. Things stay open till 9-10ish and stores close starting around 8. I don't think the airport is a bad option if you just want to relax - there's plenty there landside like a grocery store, some OK restaurants, and the Plaza Premium arrivals lounge if you have access to that. The Hilton is a good option at the airport. I've stayed there and thought it was perfectly serviceable.

Going in to the city center will take you about 30-45 minutes each way. The train is quite easy to ride. I'd do the St George or U14 depending on budget, and you'd probably have time for a dinner and a light breakfast. Cafe Bar No 9 is a good later-night dinner option near those if you want to venture out, and I'd also recommend Green Hippo (more options) or We Got This (better coffee) for breakfast.
That's very helpful, thanks!
NotDuncan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread