Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Nine days in Iceland in August, could use some advice

Old Jun 6, 2023, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

We're flying in on the morning of the 4th and leaving on the 13th. I wanted to use this thread to consolidate some of the advice we've already been given and make sure we're not missing anything, plus any kind of additional input (aka "check our work") is always welcome. So far, our plans look like this:

8/4

Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 7 a.m.; we're planning to take the FlyBus into town ($72 for two people), as we won't have a rental car yet. No specific plans for the day, since we'll be arriving right around the time we usually go to bed, so, depending on how tired we are, we may just take a walk around the city. Maybe go to the zoo, which, as I understand, isn't particularly large. Or the cat cafe. May also be worth checking out some kind of spa - my original idea was to stay somewhere closer to the Blue Lagoon, but without a car and given hotel prices in the vicinity, that kind of fizzled out.

It's worth noting that we're staying in Reykjavik for five nights and Hveragerđi for four more. I know that the two are separated by less than an hour's drive and that it doesn't sound like the most intuitive of ideas, but let's just take that as given, since prices and availability are such that it would be pointless to try to change anything right now.

Questions: we currently have two hotel reservations, one at the Sand by Kea hotels, the other at Hilton Nordica. Both booked with points, but the Sand was booked via IHG/Mr. & Mrs. Smith, so I'm anxiously awaiting a cancellation following Hyatt's acquisition. The Sand is incredibly well-reviewed and much more central than Nordica, but I've just about managed to convince myself to cancel it proactively rather than wait (especially given their voluntary cancellation window closes a full month ahead of arrival) and just stay at the Hilton, which has free breakfast (I've got Gold status at HH and Platinum at IHG, which, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't really do anything for us at non-IHG-run hotels), free parking and even a spa. Can anyone give me a reason why I should stick with Sand over Nordica?

8/5 and 8/6
Two full days should be enough to recover from jet lag somewhat, and to see most of commonly-visited places in Reykjavik. Maybe even go to Nautholsvik if the weather allows. "Artificially heated ocean" isn't a word combination I have ever considered, so that might be neat.

Questions: I am wide open to whatever advice you've got about things to do (restaurants, parks, museums, etc.), because all I know from my research so far is that Reykjavik has some stellar hot dogs, an awesome bakery (the proximity to which might be the only thing still keeping me from cancelling the reservation at the Sand), very colorful houses (which is awesome - we love just walking around and checking out different architecture), including the awesomely-designed concert hall. Well, and Hallgrímskirkja, of course. It looks like the botanical gardens might also be worth a visit. Anything football-related? The KSI isn't experiencing the best of times, with the recent sex scandal and the board's resignation, but the story of the national team is still pretty fascinating.

8/7-8/9
We are picking up our rental car in the afternoon of the 7th, but as we are still tied to the Nordica for two more nights, we are going to need to think of what day trips we want to take that are going to be in a direction opposite Hveragerđi (so, I assume, notthe Golden Ring). I'd really love to see the Arctic Fox Center in Súđavík, but it's almost six hours away, so definitely not on this trip (although, if there are other places where one can see the foxes that are reachable given our geographical restrictions, I'm all ears!) I'm also curious to check out Iceland's Costco, so that might be a pit stop at some point in time. And we also overlap with Pride on the 8th and 9th, so depending on what activities are happening on those two days, it might be worth checking out.

Questions: This may be the time to go to the Blue Lagoon. Are there days of the week or times when it's less crowded? And if we end up driving there and deciding not to go, is there anything else to do/see in that general area? Is Hafnarfjörđur worth checking out?

8/9-8/13
We relocate to the Frost & Fire Hotel in
Hveragerđi (will probably catch at least part of the Golden Ring on the way), which, while isn't too far away from Reykjavik, still puts us that much closer to Southern Iceland's sights. On my list of places to go so far are another farm/zoo, a farm that grows its own cucumbers and tomatoes (whose restaurant one needs to book in advance, so I'm glad I'm writing all this now as the spots are already filling up), the DC3 wreck beach and Vik. Plus, Landmannalaugar is going to take up most of one of the days.

Question: Even though I'm slightly apprehensive about driving on F roads, I do want to go to Landmannalaugar. There seem to be multiple ways to get there. What's the easiest?

8/13

Our flight is scheduled to depart around 5 p.m., so we will have more than enough time to get to Keflavik.

Question: Is there anything to see along road number 427 that makes it a more compelling drive to the airport than the faster 1/41?

Some logistical questions:
1. I plan on using the coverage on my Amex Platinum for rental car insurance. Do I need to buy any supplemental coverage for driving on F-roads (ash/gravel, I believe, Blue calls it), should we end up going to Landmannalaugar?
2. How is Airalo's mobile coverage (Nenna Mobile)? And are there better eSIM alternatives for those of us with phones that don't have physical SIM cards?
3. Any favorite ice cream places? Apparently there's a really interesting one in Hofn, but that's five hours away from F&F and, while I love ice cream, I don't love it THAT much.

Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:50 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
How I would love a tabula rasa of 9 days in summer in Iceland to work with! By staying in and near the Capital you are really limiting what you can see and do in Iceland. I've been to Iceland 5 times and have slept 9 nights between the city and Vik so I can provide some suggestions and answers, but the best advice I can give is: See if you can book ANYTHING up towards Snaefellsness (or beyond) or east towards Kirkjubćjarklaustur, as that will greatly expand your touring options.

Working within your parameters, for that first day Sky Lagoon is a pretty new spa and is just outside Reykjavik. You can easily take a taxi to there. It's different than Blue Lagoon but folks really love it

I would do excursions from Reykjavik the other days: Into the Volcano is amazing. They drive you to a ski "resort" and you take a hike to an inactive (hopefully) volcano, which you climb (it isn't hard) and they lower you into the volcano from the top in something like a window washer rig. It is unique and not cheap and we thought it was worth it (and we don't like expensive excursions). I would also recommend a Reykjanes Peninsula tour, that is where the airport and Blue Lagoon are, but also great lighthouses, the Bridge Between the Continents, and interesting geothermal areas. You can easily drive this yourself or take a tour. Blue Lagoon also fits well on your departure day as it is on the way and near the airport and you can book transportation from your hotel to there and on to the airport on their site

Another option from the city is Into the Glacier, which you can drive to and then they take you in a huge vehicle onto and then into a glacier. The area you visit is "man made" hollowed out, it isn't a true ice cave, but it's supposed to be really neat.

From Hvergardi you should do the tomato farm, Friđheimar. Easy to self drive to there as part of the Golden Circle (not Ring). The plane wreck is a long walk to a wrecked plane. Justin Bieber made it famous. If you are into old plane wrecks don't let me dissuade you, but I haven't heard of many folks loving it. There is a Hot River Hike that is easy to find and do in Hvergardi.

You can't drive on an F road in most rental cars. It is against the contract and it is impossible in most cars other than a full sized SUV. Lots of great tour options to the Highlands, including Landmannalaugar

If you don't mind a 5 hour drive (each way) from Hvergardi you can get to Jokulsarlon, which is a Top highlight of Iceland.
Kirkjubćjarklaustur, or even Vik are much closer so a shorter drive, if you can relocate to there. You could also take a ferry over to Westmann Island and do a tour there. In August there should still be Puffins around there. You should also see the two big waterfalls on the south coast and visit Solheimjoikull and Svinafelljokull glaciers. You can drive (carefully) to each of these glaciers.

Súđavík from Reykjavik is closer to 7 hours away. You can't trust Google maps estimates anywhere in Iceland, always add at least 20% to their times, and that's just Wheels Turning time. In WestFjords, where Súđavík is, add 25-30% to their estimates. Narrow and winding roads dominate that quadrant.

I have no idea why you'd visit Hafnarfjörđur, other than it's close by?

I like road 427, but I like most roads in Iceland other than the highway from the city to the airport.

Insurance is a personal choice. We usually rely on our CC and home car insurance to cover us in Iceland. AAA even helped cover a tow (long story) we had in Iceland. Make sure you THOROUGHLY DOCUMENT the condition of the car when you pick it up so you aren't charged for damage you didn't cause. Be very careful when it is windy as doors will fly open into other cars or break the hinges. This is very common. Make sure you have WATERPROOF outer layers as it will rain during your trip. Ponchos and Umbrellas are useless.

We used Verizon in Iceland bur rarely away from lodging, which has Wifi. Paper maps are very good in Iceland, so few roads you don't need GPS.

Happy to answer any other specific questions
highlanderfil likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
How I would love a tabula rasa of 9 days in summer in Iceland to work with! By staying in and near the Capital you are really limiting what you can see and do in Iceland. I've been to Iceland 5 times and have slept 9 nights between the city and Vik so I can provide some suggestions and answers, but the best advice I can give is: See if you can book ANYTHING up towards Snaefellsness (or beyond) or east towards Kirkjubćjarklaustur, as that will greatly expand your touring options.
As much as I understand our limitations, unfortunately, it's not an option. Both my wife and I will be coming off really difficult years, so we don't want to move around multiple hotels as much as possible and the F&F just looked like the right place to relax on the odd day that we won't want to explore. Believe me, if I could find a similar property for a similar price (as it is, we'll be paying $250/night) in a location farther from Reykjavik, I would, but even when I was doing my original research in late 2022, nothing was coming up that wasn't $500+/night. Two months before? Not even those places are available anymore.
Working within your parameters, for that first day Sky Lagoon is a pretty new spa and is just outside Reykjavik. You can easily take a taxi to there. It's different than Blue Lagoon but folks really love it
Thank you, that's good to know. Might be just what's needed after a flight.
I would do excursions from Reykjavik the other days: Into the Volcano is amazing. They drive you to a ski "resort" and you take a hike to an inactive (hopefully) volcano, which you climb (it isn't hard) and they lower you into the volcano from the top in something like a window washer rig. It is unique and not cheap and we thought it was worth it (and we don't like expensive excursions).
Interesting. I'm going to look that up. On the surface, that doesn't sound like something I'd think to search for (I feel like that's where my fear of heights might kick in), but I'm open to at least looking into it.
I would also recommend a Reykjanes Peninsula tour, that is where the airport and Blue Lagoon are, but also great lighthouses, the Bridge Between the Continents, and interesting geothermal areas. You can easily drive this yourself or take a tour. Blue Lagoon also fits well on your departure day as it is on the way and near the airport and you can book transportation from your hotel to there and on to the airport on their site
Check. We'll have a car after 8/7, so that might be the thing to do before our flight home. Not sure if I'd want to go to Blue Lagoon right before getting on a plane, but the rest sounds good.
​​​​​​​From Hvergardi you should do the tomato farm, Friđheimar. Easy to self drive to there as part of the Golden Circle (not Ring).
Yep, on the list (I linked to it in the post), but I was thinking of going there as part of the drive to Landmannalaugar. Either way, I'm definitely interested in checking it out.
​​​​​​​The plane wreck is a long walk to a wrecked plane. Justin Bieber made it famous. If you are into old plane wrecks don't let me dissuade you, but I haven't heard of many folks loving it. There is a Hot River Hike that is easy to find and do in Hvergardi.
The Hot River Hike (well, and the river itself) was a major selling point for F&F. As far as the plane wreck goes... I think it's four miles one way. Might be a bit too far, but it still sounds neat enough to where we may try it all the same.
​​​​​​​You can't drive on an F road in most rental cars. It is against the contract and it is impossible in most cars other than a full sized SUV. Lots of great tour options to the Highlands, including Landmannalaugar
If memory serves, Blue marks certain 4x4s as being able to drive on F roads, and I believe our Duster is one of those.
​​​​​​​If you don't mind a 5 hour drive (each way) from Hvergardi you can get to Jokulsarlon, which is a Top highlight of Iceland. Kirkjubćjarklaustur, or even Vik are much closer so a shorter drive, if you can relocate to there. You could also take a ferry over to Westmann Island and do a tour there. In August there should still be Puffins around there. You should also see the two big waterfalls on the south coast and visit Solheimjoikull and Svinafelljokull glaciers. You can drive (carefully) to each of these glaciers.
As much as I'd like to see JS, I just don't think it's practical. Maybe on another visit. Westmann looks more doable, though.
​​​​​​​Súđavík from Reykjavik is closer to 7 hours away. You can't trust Google maps estimates anywhere in Iceland, always add at least 20% to their times, and that's just Wheels Turning time. In WestFjords, where Súđavík is, add 25-30% to their estimates. Narrow and winding roads dominate that quadrant.
Yeah, that's even more of a nonstarter. I'd like to limit driving to four, max five hours total per day.
​​​​​​​I have no idea why you'd visit Hafnarfjörđur, other than it's close by?
I honestly don't know, either. It popped up in Wikitravel, figured I'd ask if it had anything going for it that would make it an interesting location to drop by.
​​​​​​​I like road 427, but I like most roads in Iceland other than the highway from the city to the airport.
I've driven that highway once. It's...a road.
​​​​​​​Insurance is a personal choice. We usually rely on our CC and home car insurance to cover us in Iceland. AAA even helped cover a tow (long story) we had in Iceland. Make sure you THOROUGHLY DOCUMENT the condition of the car when you pick it up so you aren't charged for damage you didn't cause. Be very careful when it is windy as doors will fly open into other cars or break the hinges. This is very common. Make sure you have WATERPROOF outer layers as it will rain during your trip. Ponchos and Umbrellas are useless.
Check.
​​​​​​​We used Verizon in Iceland bur rarely away from lodging, which has Wifi. Paper maps are very good in Iceland, so few roads you don't need GPS.
At $10/day times 2, that'll run us more than our average monthly bill. I've used Airalo in the UK and Spain with success, though, so hopefully it will serve us well in Iceland, as well.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 11:37 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
At $10/day times 2, that'll run us more than our average monthly bill. I've used Airalo in the UK and Spain with success, though, so hopefully it will serve us well in Iceland, as well.
We used one of our phones on maybe 3 (or 2) of the 7 days we were last in Iceland. You should be able to do without it between Wifi opportunities. We are huge (too huge) internet users, but it really isn't hard to stay away from it for a few hours here and there in Iceland.

Or just share, so you don't have that x2 cost. Once you get to your lodging you'll be able to each use your devices to your hearts content

Changing hotels every night isn't for everyone. But 3 bases is pretty easy for 9 nights so you aren't driving the same roads every day

BL makes a nice living on folks stopping there on arrival or heading to departure. Their location and included transportation options make it so easy to do.

I'm not sure a Duster is qualified for F Roads, do double check before you go. We went in a SuperJeep and had to tow a smaller 4WD vehicle (with snorkel!) across a river when the water rose during our Highlands visit

Old Jun 8, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
We drove a Dacia Duster to Landmannalaugar without problem. We rented from Geysir Car Rental and they specifically confirmed to me when I asked that I was permitted to take it on the F road. Geysir actually markets some 4x4s for mountain roads!

We really love hiking and Landmannalaugar is really great and was a real highlight of our weeklong circum-Iceland trip.
highlanderfil likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, Blue specifically advertises the Duster as appropriate for F-roads.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 10:22 am

Yeah, Blue specifically advertises the Duster as appropriate for F-roads.
Good to know

You still are going to want to be cautious at river crossings. Just because they allow it doesn't mean it will work under all conditions, and if you flood it, you own it.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Good to know

You still are going to want to be cautious at river crossings. Just because they allow it doesn't mean it will work under all conditions, and if you flood it, you own it.
I'm also going to try to avoid river crossings best I can - hence asking which of the roads to Landmannalaugar are easiest.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
My comment to every first time visitor to Iceland is to visit a local (public) swimming pool, not just a tourist oriented one like the Blue Lagoon. I like to do this upon arrival, possibly first thing in the morning after a red eye flight if hotel check in isn't available and I'm feeling jet lagged and eager for a shower.

Public pools are also a great way to actually meet local people.
highlanderfil and Antonio8069 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
IHG have communicated that existing bookings, including on points, would be honoured at Mr. & Mrs. Smith hotels, so I'd be inclined to keep the reservation there.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
IHG have communicated that existing bookings, including on points, would be honoured at Mr. & Mrs. Smith hotels, so I'd be inclined to keep the reservation there.
I cancelled already (free breakfast and parking at the Nordica won me over). But still curious why you would pick one over the other?
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
I cancelled already (free breakfast and parking at the Nordica won me over). But still curious why you would pick one over the other?
Because of the great reviews, in which case a non-chain hotel (where I still can either pay with points, or get points if on a paid stay) will win my business over a standard chain hotel. There's only so many run of the mill Hiltons / HIs / Marriotts you can stay in until the wow factor disappears.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Because of the great reviews, in which case a non-chain hotel (where I still can either pay with points, or get points if on a paid stay) will win my business over a standard chain hotel. There's only so many run of the mill Hiltons / HIs / Marriotts you can stay in until the wow factor disappears.
That's a fair point, but I'm not really looking for a wow factor as much as I am for convenience (parking, spa) and even a bit of savings (breakfast) where I can. Iceland is expensive and our budget isn't unlimited, so I'm thankful for the opportunity to at least have breakfast taken care of (and maybe even a late lunch/early dinner if we're lucky enough to get an upgrade). Over a period of almost a week it adds up. As far as reviews go, yes, Sand is very high up on TripAdvisor, but I've found (second-hand, granted) that there really are few, if any really bad hotels in Iceland. And our room at Sand would be the smallest of the ones available.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:11 pm

if you can get a night at the Ion Adventure hotel, it does NOT feel like a Marriott property!

They filmed some of Succession there and it was recently on a local PBS station as part of a program on Spectacular hotels in the world
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

if you can get a night at the Ion Adventure hotel, it does NOT feel like a Marriott property!

They filmed some of Succession there and it was recently on a local PBS station as part of a program on Spectacular hotels in the world
I don't really see a way we would or a reason to, given the scope of our plans. It looks cool, but it's expensive as hell and we specifically do not want to hotel-hop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.