Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Regulating people's exercise of rights to motivate them to pay due taxes and fines has been part of society in Europe for quite some time. If it can be done for money, why can't it be done for public health reasons?

Some Swedish public schools have cancelled their outdoor Christmas celebrations for the school children and their families this week and next and done so without regard to "only allowing them with some kind of certificate". They did so because of concerns about the infection level.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Regulating people's exercise of rights to motivate them to pay due taxes and fines has been part of society in Europe for quite some time. If it can be done for money, why can't it be done for public health reasons?
1. Taxes are compulsory. Vaccination supposedly isn't.
2. There is no public health benefit proven yet. Norwegians could tell you about it with their super safe vaccinated-only event that led to 120 infected people.

Some Swedish public schools have cancelled their outdoor Christmas celebrations for the school children and their families this week and next and done so without regard to "only allowing them with some kind of certificate". They did so because of concerns about the infection level.
I'm aware of that and I have no problem with that. My issue is with certificates, not with taking some COVID measures.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:56 am
Suspended

If taxes and fines can be compulsory and used as grounds to regulate the exercise of rights, then doing so for public health seems more humane than doing so for money.

It was in the lifetime of some of the contributors to this thread that Sweden even had compulsory sterilizations going on even absent informed consent of the targets of Sweden's forced sterilizations. And that is even while it was supposedly not legal to physically restrain the targets. Having nudges in place to drive people to get vaccinated seems more legitimate than compulsory sterilizations during the lifetime of some people on FT.

In 2018, only about 1 out of every 8 people in Sweden would go on record as saying they were opposed to compulsory vaccinations in the country. A substantial majority of surveyed people in Sweden at in 2018 were in favor of compulsory vaccinations in Sweden. Ipsos survey was but one of the examples of support for such in Sweden at the time. And that was 2018.

Sweden had compulsory vaccinations in place around 200 years ago, as the country had a compulsory vaccination law passed into law in 1816.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by the810
1. Taxes are compulsory. Vaccination supposedly isn't.
Didn't Danish politician Mogens Glistrup think that taxes weren't compulsory?

2. There is no public health benefit proven yet. Norwegians could tell you about it with their super safe vaccinated-only event that led to 120 infected people.
How many would have been infected if they hadn't made the event as super-safe as they did?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The last time I checked, using people's basic rights as a bargaining chip by the government wasn't allowed in most European societies. Which is why most governments never state that this is the purpose of those measures. The official narrative (and in most countries the only legally defendable narrative) is that this is meant to make those activities safer and therefore reduce the spread. Something that is not happening.

Furthermore, even if we accepted the outrageous idea that government can limit people's basic freedoms to bully them into doing something that is supposedly voluntary, it doesn't work either. This has been proven over and over again, all across the Europe. Yes, there is a small uptick of vaccination rates when it's announced but the increased demand usually dies out very quickly.
What basic rights are being violated? Specifically which part of the human rights convention is being violated, which specific part of the Swedish constitution would be violated by introducing a requirement to show a covid certificate to enter a restaurant?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:21 am
Suspended

Let’s see what Sweden announces for additional Covid-19 measures at 10am local Stockholm time today/Thursday.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:59 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Let’s see what Sweden announces for additional Covid-19 measures at 10am local Stockholm time today/Thursday.
I have the bottle opener ready.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:20 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Basically nothing, it seems. As always.

COVID passes will also be required for arrivals from Nordic countries starting next week and they threaten to maybe introduce something else as well.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:42 am
Suspended

Sweden-approved Covid passes required to enter Sweden even from the Nordic countries is starting from December 21. Some hotels and car rental companies in Sweden will see a boost in government business due to this change — because it means more border control police staffing again at the ports of entry to the country.

Whether the Covid pass to enter the country is the only thing to change with pandemic measures in Sweden this month — or even be referred to today — is yet to be seen.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:21 am
Suspended

I’m assuming Swedish citizens — and probably permanent residents too — will be exempted from Sweden’s Covid-19 border control measures in much the same manner as before.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 2:09 am
Suspended

There are some indications that one or more public “ground” schools in Malmo may be shutting down most in-person classes after today due to rising infection level concerns. So instead of in-person classes continuing until the afternoon of the 22nd of December, they may shut-down today as of later today while remaining open for school meal takeaway until the official start of the December-January winter/Christmas school break.

So one or more Malmo public schools that had remained open for in-person classes all throughout this pandemic until now are now considering the possibility of closing up early for in-person learning.

Is this a way to “protect” Christmas breaks and mingling for staff and students, or is it a way to control infection levels? Or is it both?

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 17, 2021 at 2:16 am
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:17 am

Programs: Various
Is Christmas really a thing in Malmö? Sorry...

I think teachers are fed up with the whole situation and want to ensure that they get a little longer away from the schools.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:47 am
Suspended

The school teachers just go along for the ride or can again play the Covid sick leave policy. But it’s the Skane region’s health authority who can run the show for shutting down schools’ in-person classes for Covid-19.

Malmo isn’t decorated as nicely for Christmas as Stockholm, but it has its seasonal decorations too. I wouldn’t be surprised if the the Catholic Church Christmas services in Malmo will be packing them in more than the local Church of Sweden services for Christmas. The dark season comes with lots of electric stars and fake candle lights in windows across the “this isn’t really Sweden” Swedish city too. But it definitely varies by neighborhood. It will be interesting to see what the Covid-19 spread dynamics are like following from this Christmas seasonal period.

What happened to using the sewage system in parts of Sweden to measure Covid-19 prevalence in the community? In Florida, around Orlando, Omicron variant is highly prevalent as revealed by sewage measurements for Covid-19 levels in the community.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 17, 2021 at 6:58 am
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:02 am

I absolutely adore Christmas decoration at Gustav Adolfs Torg, one of my favourites not just in Sweden.

What happened to using the sewage system in parts of Sweden to measure Covid-19 prevalence in the community? In Florida, around Orlando, Omicron variant is highly prevalent as revealed by sewage measurements for Covid-19 levels in the community.
I believe they still use it, I recall seeing some data in SVT's news recently.
GUWonder and Tiramisu like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:29 am
Suspended

I absolutely adore Christmas decoration at Gustav Adolfs Torg, one of my favourites not just in Sweden.

I believe they still use it, I recall seeing some data in SVT's news recently.
The Christmas bear inside the south side entrance to the Trianglen stop in Malmo is keeping a distance from the camera-barers who may bare Covid with bare faces while photographing the bear. Get too close and you catch ...... too little of the bear.

Malmo’s Gustav Adolfs Torg is indeed a lovely sight at night at this time.

I missed the Santa Air Force Christmas tree flights this year,
the810 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.