Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2021, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is Bornholmerbussen Danish or Swedish? It’s been parked in Ystad today. Perhaps it has been used by some as a way to try to minimize the Swedish countryside stone throwing that hit DK-plated vehicles.
Isn't it graahundbus? All the buses to Bornholm are with Danish plates from what I can see.

Originally Posted by vanillabean
This Danish bus has to wait, I'm sorry to say, but we have tickets for CPH-RNN this fall, thanks for suggesting DAT!
Good idea, I don't think the stone throwing is over yet. Fortunately, there was a police car turned out from a junction half way between Svedala and where I needed to go, so I stayed behind it and I'm sure no one dares to throw stone at a police car.

By the way, someone got hit by a stone on route 6 on Northern Zealand, so it's not just E65 or the guy moved to DK to continue to throw stones.
vanillabean likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 7:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
Isn't it graahundbus? All the buses to Bornholm are with Danish plates from what I can see.

Good idea, I don't think the stone throwing is over yet. Fortunately, there was a police car turned out from a junction half way between Svedala and where I needed to go, so I stayed behind it and I'm sure no one dares to throw stone at a police car.

By the way, someone got hit by a stone on route 6 on Northern Zealand, so it's not just E65 or the guy moved to DK to continue to throw stones.
It was “Gråhundbus” logo on the front, with a front yellow car plate without any DK or S insignia on that plate. [I don’t have a convenient opportunity to privately have the plate number from that bus too run right now against databases.]

What’s the latest on Swedish and Danish paid sickness leave benefits for those with COVID-19 symptoms or a positive COVID-19 test?
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
It was “Gråhundbus” logo on the front, with a front yellow car plate without any DK or S insignia on that plate. [I don’t have a convenient opportunity to privately have the plate number from that bus too run right now against databases.]
Gråhundbus, that's funny! When we went some years ago, I think it was an Egon's bus.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What’s the latest on Swedish and Danish paid sickness leave benefits for those with COVID-19 symptoms or a positive COVID-19 test?
Yellow plate is probably Danish. In DK you can pick DK plates or EU plates (same price and one is EU standard and the other one is regular Danish standard). With EU plates there's no need to put a DK sticker on the car.

No Idea what's the latest FK guidelines for that, it used to be like 21 days sick leave without doctor's notice. Mr. said if he travelled somewhere and got Covid, he will have to quarantine on his own expense.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Yellow plate is probably Danish. In DK you can pick DK plates or EU plates (same price and one is EU standard and the other one is regular Danish standard). With EU plates there's no need to put a DK sticker on the car.
Thank you, highly educational for me as I have never driven outside of North America.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:01 pm
Suspended

No Idea what's the latest FK guidelines for that, it used to be like 21 days sick leave without doctor's notice. Mr. said if he travelled somewhere and got Covid, he will have to quarantine on his own expense.
I thought that Swedish taxis at least sometimes have yellow plates, with a possible T at the end in a different font size IIRC. Diplomatic plates in Sweden are blue background plates, and I was pretty sure that is whether it’s a diplomatic car or a diplomatic bus. Do some Swedish charter buses have yellow plates sort of like some Swedish taxis?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought that Swedish taxis at least sometimes have yellow plates, with a possible T at the end in a different font size IIRC. Diplomatic plates in Sweden are blue background plates, and I was pretty sure that is whether it’s a diplomatic car or a diplomatic bus. Do some Swedish charter buses have yellow plates sort of like some Swedish taxis?
DK diplomatic plates are also blue (haven't been in Stockholm enough times to spot those cars). Most Swedish buses have regular plates, I have seen the yellow ones once in a while and I have no idea what the rules are.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:33 am
Suspended

DK diplomatic plates are also blue (haven't been in Stockholm enough times to spot those cars). Most Swedish buses have regular plates, I have seen the yellow ones once in a while and I have no idea what the rules are.
There are some Swedish-issued blue plates for some vehicles registered around Malmö too. And yet it is such that most in Malmö don’t seem to have a clue about the Swedish blue plates. The last Swedish blue plate vehicle I saw around central Malmö was a van just west of Malmö Central Station, but that was last year. The last blue plate car I saw around Skane was just several days ago as it was parked outside an acquaintance’s house; and I saw it while biking toward the countryside prison south of Bunkeflostrand to see what had since happened with that discussed land which was sold.

Schools in Malmö started today, and it’s probably just a matter of time until RSV and COVID-19 spread like crazy among the school kids and start meaning hospitalized kids with Covid-19 at unprecedented levels in Sweden. Schools in Stockholm start tomorrow.

The pandemic has been repeatedly declared as over in Sweden. With the legions of unvaccinated children in Sweden, the pandemic may unfortunately be anything but over and more akin to just getting started.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 17, 2021 at 2:47 am
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are some Swedish-issued blue plates for some vehicles registered around Malmö too. And yet it is such that most in Malmö don’t seem to have a clue about the Swedish blue plates. The last Swedish blue plate vehicle I saw around central Malmö was a van just west of Malmö Central Station, but that was last year. The last blue plate car I saw around Skane was just several days ago as it was parked outside an acquaintance’s house; and I saw it while biking toward the countryside prison south of Bunkeflostrand to see what had since happened with that discussed land which was sold.
What happened to that land? I know one of them was kept by the people who bought the whole plot and then divide it. Good that Mr. tried hard to prevent me from wanting that plot, we paid 25% more for a plot 2km from a royal residence in Denmark - definitely better than living next to a prison.

If you do bike down there, check out how many new house there are in Skumparp. When we tried to buy land there and the neighbour bought up the land to prevent new people settling in there.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 10:53 am
Suspended

What happened to that land? I know one of them was kept by the people who bought the whole plot and then divide it. Good that Mr. tried hard to prevent me from wanting that plot, we paid 25% more for a plot 2km from a royal residence in Denmark - definitely better than living next to a prison.

If you do bike down there, check out how many new house there are in Skumparp. When we tried to buy land there and the neighbour bought up the land to prevent new people settling in there.
The area approaching the prison — although perhaps it’s sort of closer to Tygelsjo — is also filling in with new housing; but that far south there is a sort of limit on building to the west due to environmental/flood concerns …. even if the field owners sell.

During the pandemic, housing prices in Sweden have been strongest where the Danish influence is strongest. The Malmö area has had the wind stronger and longer behind its back toward higher house prices than Stockholm and Gothenburg and the rest of the country. But in Skane and Sodermanland, isn’t it about 13% of the private lands are still concentrated in the hands of the long privileged families that make up the traditional Swedish nobility?
Old Aug 18, 2021, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The area approaching the prison — although perhaps it’s sort of closer to Tygelsjo — is also filling in with new housing; but that far south there is a sort of limit on building to the west due to environmental/flood concerns …. even if the field owners sell.
Someone did buy the plot almost next to a prison. There will be a stable demand on housing around Malmo providing that the Danish immigration rules about bringing in spouse remains the same..
Old Aug 18, 2021, 4:52 am
Suspended

Someone did buy the plot almost next to a prison. There will be a stable demand on housing around Malmo providing that the Danish immigration rules about bringing in spouse remains the same..
Malmö area housing prices and rental demand are indeed beneficiaries of how Copenhagen does things.

I’ve also seen an increase in Danish-Swedish couples moving out of Sweden during the pandemic and into Denmark. Differences in home purchase affordability/value, in work opportunities, commute convenience, and more have featured in such moves.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Malmö area housing prices and rental demand are indeed beneficiaries of how Copenhagen does things.

I’ve also seen an increase in Danish-Swedish couples moving out of Sweden during the pandemic and into Denmark. Differences in home purchase affordability/value, in work opportunities, commute convenience, and more have featured in such moves.
I did see a few Swedish cars at my children's school and quite some driving in the area where I live now. Last year was a good time to move back, the insane prices in Malmo and the relatively low price in DK made people able to move back. We were kind of lucky to have signed a contract in 2019 when the Danish house price is low. While we were living in Sweden during the pandemic we always have a canister of diesel in our garage in case one of us need emergency medical treatment we could drive straight to DK.

The Danish taxation is the biggest drawback for moving back to DK - not talking about income tax but more property value tax and property tax plus all sort of fees on almost everything, in addition to reduced child benefits + student grant due to high income. I guess the money is used on fighting crime and having a somewhat functional health system.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 5:02 am
Suspended

I did see a few Swedish cars at my children's school and quite some driving in the area where I live now. Last year was a good time to move back, the insane prices in Malmo and the relatively low price in DK made people able to move back. We were kind of lucky to have signed a contract in 2019 when the Danish house price is low. While we were living in Sweden during the pandemic we always have a canister of diesel in our garage in case one of us need emergency medical treatment we could drive straight to DK.

The Danish taxation is the biggest drawback for moving back to DK - not talking about income tax but more property value tax and property tax plus all sort of fees on almost everything, in addition to reduced child benefits + student grant due to high income. I guess the money is used on fighting crime and having a somewhat functional health system.
During this pandemic, seeking medical care in Sweden has become even worse relative to Denmark than was already the case. Even a huge chunk of my Sweden-residing acquaintances working in Denmark went for vaccinations in Denmark instead of Sweden and try to manage to have as much of their medical care done in Denmark as possible. And that was vaccinations, nor urgent care.

Even during 2019, seeking urgent care in Sweden was a lesson in what to try to avoid. But with the pandemic in the past 12-16 months, it’s been a lesson in how to get worse scars in Sweden because the hits from COVID have been so bad in Sweden that Swedish healthcare is much slower (than even usual for Sweden) at getting around to waiting patients fast enough to stitch them up to minimize scar damage. In other words, if you’ve got a bad wound and want to minimize problems and the post-recovery scar and can pick between where to be, Denmark has been a better bet than Sweden for that during this pandemic. Denmark already was before the pandemic, but even more so during the pandemic in Sweden.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 3:02 am
Suspended

Swedish offices are again starting to act as if the pandemic is over. On the other hand, schools in Sweden seem to be on overdrive with COVID-19 concerns, but more so when it comes to daycares and schools for younger kids than schools for older kids.
@nacho

For the first time in years, it seems like some of the harder to get into schools around Malmö have a bunch of last minute openings — seems to be way more than usual — due to parents surrendering their children’s places. Included are two private school which historically seemed to have had the longest waiting lists (at least above-board). Not sure how many of them moved to Denmark, but some of them definitely did do so. No corresponding increase in demand for Danish as a mother tongue in Malmö area school, but maybe there is a corresponding drop in demand for Danish as a mother tongue classes in Malmö during this year.

The Swedish teachers shortage during this pandemic seems to have gotten way worse, with class sizes (per teacher) for pre-teens at abysmally awful levels and even some 9-11 year olds having been assigned 4-7 teachers per week for normal class subjects. Did a lot more Swedish teachers die, retire/resign or go on disability during this pandemic than was typical in 2018 and 2019?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.