Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Copenhagen recommendations (hotel, transport)..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copenhagen recommendations (hotel, transport)..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:16 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's a matter of personal preference, really.

I stay over in Copenhagen about once a month, and tend to go for one of the Andersen Hotel, the Scandic Front or the Wakeup Borgergade - I tend to vary it just because I like change

All have their pluses and minuses. I know the Scandic Webers pretty well, too - it's well located, and a nicely done, old-style Copenhagen hotel. It's on Vesterbrogade, which is a little removed from the full-on red-light district effect of Istedgade, but there are strip clubs a couple of doors down. The Andersen is pretty full-on in terms of surroundings - there's a sex shop over the road, and prostitutes regularly on the corner opposite. There's a hostel down the road too. But I've never (are a fairly tall male) found the area threatening - you just keep aware of your surroundings and take it as it is. I'd say the Andersen is probably my favourite hotel in my budget range at the moment, though - it's been very well renovated, and they're always a friendly bunch. Tripadvisor seems to agree, though, so it's getting more and more booked up!

I personally don't like the area around Tivoli and that end of the Stroget, but I do like the old Kodbyen (meat-packing district) around Halmtorvet in the evening. There's some great places to go on Vesterbrogade itself (including the original Madklubben). Plus, I like to take a bike, ride over to Fisketorvet, over the Cykelslangen bridge and either down Islands Brygge to Christianshavn, or the other way through the woods. It's a wonderful city for cycling around.

Borgergade is a more commercial district, and you're near Nyhavn. It's quieter, and partly residential, but again, has lots of nice eating choices, both in the surrounding street, and up towards Norrebro and the lakes.

I prefer being in the city rather than out at Orestad personally, but the Crowne Plaza beats most of the city centre hotels on value hands down, and the metro is an undeniably easy way to get around. Orestad is both on the metro (to/from the city centre) and the Oresund train line (to/from the airport and Malmo too). It's also easy to get from Orestad down to Dragor, a small but pretty little seaside town "behind" the airport, but surprising tranquil despite this.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I think the Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers provides good bang for the buck. It's easy and quick getting from and to the airport on the free hotel shuttle, and the restad metro station, which takes you into town, is right around the corner, across from Field's mall.

English is widely spoken in Copenhagen, and neither signs nor communicating with the locals should pose any problem even for an English-only speaker.
SAT Lawyer , yeah agree..I am also leaning towards Crowne Plaza though its a little off the train services look good. Plus on last day I have to go to Malmo so I am assuming I have to go to airport station from Orestad and then change train to Malmo ? or is there a direct train from Orestad to Malmo? I am planning to get Copenhagen pass (72 hours) for us and I understand that won't work for the Malmo train run.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
It's a matter of personal preference, really.

I stay over in Copenhagen about once a month, and tend to go for one of the Andersen Hotel, the Scandic Front or the Wakeup Borgergade - I tend to vary it just because I like change

All have their pluses and minuses. I know the Scandic Webers pretty well, too - it's well located, and a nicely done, old-style Copenhagen hotel. It's on Vesterbrogade, which is a little removed from the full-on red-light district effect of Istedgade, but there are strip clubs a couple of doors down. The Andersen is pretty full-on in terms of surroundings - there's a sex shop over the road, and prostitutes regularly on the corner opposite. There's a hostel down the road too. But I've never (are a fairly tall male) found the area threatening - you just keep aware of your surroundings and take it as it is. I'd say the Andersen is probably my favourite hotel in my budget range at the moment, though - it's been very well renovated, and they're always a friendly bunch. Tripadvisor seems to agree, though, so it's getting more and more booked up!

I personally don't like the area around Tivoli and that end of the Stroget, but I do like the old Kodbyen (meat-packing district) around Halmtorvet in the evening. There's some great places to go on Vesterbrogade itself (including the original Madklubben). Plus, I like to take a bike, ride over to Fisketorvet, over the Cykelslangen bridge and either down Islands Brygge to Christianshavn, or the other way through the woods. It's a wonderful city for cycling around.

Borgergade is a more commercial district, and you're near Nyhavn. It's quieter, and partly residential, but again, has lots of nice eating choices, both in the surrounding street, and up towards Norrebro and the lakes.

I prefer being in the city rather than out at Orestad personally, but the Crowne Plaza beats most of the city centre hotels on value hands down, and the metro is an undeniably easy way to get around. Orestad is both on the metro (to/from the city centre) and the Oresund train line (to/from the airport and Malmo too). It's also easy to get from Orestad down to Dragor, a small but pretty little seaside town "behind" the airport, but surprising tranquil despite this.
Oh I missed your post before I posted my previous reply. So to go to Malmo, I can take the train from Orestad directly? Thats good to know ...Crowne Plaza seems more and more attractive to me now :-)
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:05 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yes, restad railway station is between the airport and city, so all the Malmo trains pass through. The metro line from restad isn't the one that goes to the airport, so you need to get a mainline train between the two stations.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stut
Yes, restad railway station is between the airport and city, so all the Malmo trains pass through. The metro line from restad isn't the one that goes to the airport, so you need to get a mainline train between the two stations.
Indeed. The Orestad-Malmo Oresundstag trains run most commonly every twenty minutes, although there are times when it's better or worse than that in frequency. I would just check the appropriate apps for the updated times and then plan my walk from the hotel to the Orestad rail stop to jump onto the Oresundstag train directly from Orestad to Malmo.

[The Metro runs way more frequently than the Oresundstag train but that is not what I would recommend doing unless there is some kind of particular operational mess or maybe at some odd hours. While doing a Metro-Metro transfer to get back to CPH airport and onto the Oresundstag train is possible, this would be something that will usually eat up more time than it's worth.]
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Stut and GUW ..very helpful information...Now only I wish I get a good deal for 4 nights at the Crowne Plaza.... is getting the IHG MC worth it for 60,000 points? I am looking for Mar 31 - April 4, 2016 :-)
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I'm afraid nothing is very cheap in Denmark, because the VAT is included (and it's a high rate of VAT), many shops and services are not intensely competitive, and people are paid a good wage there which feeds into costs. However, tipping is rare, there are no surprise extra taxes on the displayed price, and the people you deal with are being employed in good conditions - all good things. The Danish Kroner tracks the Euro closely, so it's tanking in value along with the Euro, so your USD will buy more Kronor than usual over the past years, offsetting this.

Everyone tourist-facing in Copenhagen speaks English enough to deal with, most are fluent. Unless your Danish accent is really good, they won't even speak Danish back to you, most will just switch to English.

The mainline rail and the S (metro region) trains will also get you about, don't just look to the "metro". Personally I always take the mainline (resundstog/Kystbanen) trains from CPH to the central station and go from there.

The transit agency for the Capital Region is Movia and their English ticket information is here. You might find the City Pass 72 hours to be useful, then go to the central station at the end of your stay and buy a ticket to Malm there. The Copenhagen Card is not great value unless you are going to a lot of museums and paid attractions, but have a look at it if you like.

There is a tourist info office near the Central Station (exit Bernstorffsgade side then turn left out of the exit and it's diagonally opposite you at the next major road junction).

It is obligatory to buy a hotdog from one of the hotdog stands scattered about the city if you visit Copenhagen I also recommend the traditional (Gammeldags) icecream.

Last edited by flatlander; Jul 5, 2015 at 4:48 pm Reason: Add Copenhagen card
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
There are more questions but I will ask in batches.

Thanks in advance
MNSWEEps, I'm going to Copenhagen next month and have found a ton of information in cruisecritic.com's forum. A resident of Copenhagen answers questions in a thread titled "Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2135935

You may find your answers already posted there. If not, the writer "Danish Viking" will be willing to help.

I know you've already gotten great help from the FT community, but it's handy to have a resident answer your inquiries, too.

Have a fabulous trip!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:43 pm

We were in Copenhagen this past May. We stayed at the Hotel Bethel. Loved, loved loved the location. We walked everywhere. Breakfast was good and filling. Staff behind the desk were fabulous and had lots of suggestions for sightseeing, dinner, etc.

We bought the Copenhagen Card at the airport and used it to get to the hotel. Visited several museums that we may not have visited if we did not have the card.

Have fun. We LOVED Copenhagen!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Buses may be easier with bags

Mother and I stayed at Cabinn City when we arrived from LAX-LHR-CPH at 5 pm, and we used Bus 5A from the airport to a stop merely a 200-m walk to the hotel. It took longer, but there were three advantages: (1) Seeing things from the bus and (2) little vertical level changes dragging our bags.

And (3) was the risk of being approached by undesirable figures outside Copenhagen Central Station while walking to hotel. (They don't approach you when walking TO the station or when carrying only your day bag.)

Using the Metro will guarantee a bit of vertical travel, often being a struggle between taking your bag quickly up a few steps and walking/dragging a long way to an elevator. Using the train may or may not be somewhat better.

So do check out the bus lines that depart from the airport station!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
I found Copenhagen very disappointing,would never go back,only thing worth doing is the trip over the Oresound bridge to Malmo.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 am

To be honest this is the first time ever I heard somebody saying that Copenhagen was disappointing. Do you care to elaborate?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by liamvad
I found Copenhagen very disappointing,would never go back,only thing worth doing is the trip over the Oresound bridge to Malmo.
Then i Might ask what did you expect? Although Copenhagen might be the most international Scandinavian city it is still a quite small city compared to other capitals in the world. But it is also very compact so you can walk or take one of the public bikes anywhere. There are plenty of places to eat, drink party. There are shopping both in city center and in malls many museums and you even have an amusement park.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fassy
To be honest this is the first time ever I heard somebody saying that Copenhagen was disappointing. Do you care to elaborate?
Copenhagen is rather disappointing compared to Stockholm.

I do find Malmo rather charming in some ways; and in some ways I find Malmo more to my liking than Copenhagen. And yes, I still like the bridge crossing, if not only because I like checking it out when flying overhead.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:21 am

MALM? Living close enough to go there every day nothing will make me do it voluntary.

In my point of view: Copenhagen > Gothenburg > Stockholm > Lund/and all the other smaller cities > Malm

Malm is dirty, full of questionable elements, has absolute nothing special, since it is Sweden the Swedish price niveau and service mindness of the people (or more like the lack of the same).

Yes, the bridge is nice, but it gets old if you have to cross it at least two times a week like I do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.