Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO
Reload this Page >

Airbnb's sneaky 3% FX fee - deceitful and infuriating, and now unavoidable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airbnb's sneaky 3% FX fee - deceitful and infuriating, and now unavoidable?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by bluesaturn
Hm, often AirBnB is the only way "poor" people can afford traveling and a cheaper accommodation. Who does not say hotels have a secret cartel agreement?
I think AirBnB is a good idea as long as one shares the accommodation with the owner.
Nevertheless, AirBnB in DC was more expensive than a hotel and I did not like my host in DC.

But I will definitely write to AirBnB for the DCC fee in case this will happen.
Thanks for pointing out other options like homeaway.
Not to mention if you are bringing a dog with you places, airbnb can be very helpful, even if it is more $ but dog friendly. Sister did this in DC at the same abnb for a whole summer.

DCC is criminal in my mind and it should be, certainly without given the choice. I have had a terminal in central europe ask EUR? yes, EUR? yes, decline USD conversion? yes in the same process (3 times!). Each and every business has the opportunity to reject DCC. They just don't because its free (stolen) money, or they just have no idea what it is. FirstData seems to be the global wrongdoer on this. The best way to pay for airBnb is probably via buying discounted gc which may leave you at 3% surcharge if staying out of country. I have used abnb mostly in europe and never noticed this before, maybe a euro friend took care of payment or I just missed it before. Using amex might solve the issue?

Good tips here on alternates.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:32 am

As suggested, I tried to complain to the European Commission. I admit, I wrote a simple email (I am not a lawyer) complaining about the airbnb practice of DCC. In return I received this letter.
If you have any suggestions what to write to the EC, I would appreciate this.
I tried also to contact MasterCard via email, but they said I should call them. Not very helpful at all in this matter.
AirBnB escalated the case, but I never heard back from them in this matter. I will try to do a follow up there.

BTW: AirBnBs answer was:
As I said, Sir, that this will be forwarded to the right place on priority but just to acknowledge the fact that Airbnb has received this feedback from many users and we are working to fix this. We have seen our users multiplying only because every decision which is taken by Airbnb is for the betterment of the community. There are certain things which company needs to work out with local regulation of every market of every country. I hope you understand that this huge change and process takes little time. The kind of travel assurance, support, and guarantee provided by Airbnb is not available with the hotels and thus we still stand unique.[...]
Attached Images  

Last edited by bluesaturn; Oct 31, 2017 at 2:40 am
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
DCC should be illegal - full stop. Any country with a reasonable consumer protection function should ban it outright and hold criminally responsible anyone who does it.

It is a scam. It is never *not* a scam.

No reputable firm should engage in it or allow their franchises or partners operating under their brand to engage in it. Of course, I've never considered Airbnb particularly reputable, so I'm not surprised they're peddling this scam on their users.
diburning likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:01 pm

I tried to follow up on DCC with Airbnb. Answer see below, please. I told them I don't have a problem with my bank, the problem is with AirBnBs policy.
Does somebody have any advise with respect to the EC, for example, please?

Thank you for your email regarding the currency exchange.

Airbnb's answer:
When the currency in which you’re paying is different from the local currency of the country the listing is located in, we convert your payment using one of our exchange rates.

- We use the adjusted exchange rate if your payment currency is supported by Airbnb, but differs from the local currency of the listing.
- We use the base exchange rate in all other cases when we need to convert your payment to the listing's local currency.

Additionally, if you pay in a currency that’s different from the denominated currency of your payment method, your payment company (for example, your credit or bank card issuer) or third-party payment processor may apply a currency conversion rate or fees to your payment. Please contact your provider for information on what rates and fees may apply as these are not controlled by or known to Airbnb.

I also can suggest you to send us a Feedback regarding your experience with us. You can do it here
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
DCC should be illegal - full stop. Any country with a reasonable consumer protection function should ban it outright and hold criminally responsible anyone who does it.

It is a scam. It is never *not* a scam.

No reputable firm should engage in it or allow their franchises or partners operating under their brand to engage in it. Of course, I've never considered Airbnb particularly reputable, so I'm not surprised they're peddling this scam on their users.
Yes, perhaps leaving negative reviews to companies that engage in this will bring up awareness, but not really make a dent into the earnings DCC steals.

For airbnb not to allow you to choose is illegal, otherwise every restaurant would surely never let you choose. Anyone who pulls through with a email template to the European commission, please post it. I don't care if its a $5 nick, i'll still forward it just because its the right thing to do.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by moops380
Anyone who pulls through with a email template to the European commission, please post it. I don't care if its a $5 nick, i'll still forward it just because its the right thing to do.
I agree. My text was obviously not good enough and the reply by the EC was not in our favor.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bluesaturn
As suggested, I tried to complain to the European Commission. I admit, I wrote a simple email (I am not a lawyer) complaining about the airbnb practice of DCC. In return I received this letter.
If you have any suggestions what to write to the EC, I would appreciate this.
I tried also to contact MasterCard via email, but they said I should call them. Not very helpful at all in this matter.
AirBnB escalated the case, but I never heard back from them in this matter. I will try to do a follow up there.

BTW: AirBnBs answer was:
As I said, Sir, that this will be forwarded to the right place on priority but just to acknowledge the fact that Airbnb has received this feedback from many users and we are working to fix this. We have seen our users multiplying only because every decision which is taken by Airbnb is for the betterment of the community. There are certain things which company needs to work out with local regulation of every market of every country. I hope you understand that this huge change and process takes little time. The kind of travel assurance, support, and guarantee provided by Airbnb is not available with the hotels and thus we still stand unique.[...]
Forgive me if I'm being stupid here as I am not an EU citizen and am not super familiar with the quirks of the EC but here's my take:

I don't know exactly what OP said in their complaint to the EC but it seems like the EC evaluated the complaint on the basis that Airbnb is engaging in anti-competitive behavior, which I don't think any of us think is true; Airbnb has lots of competition from other homeshare sites and hotels.

I thought the basis of argument against Airbnb for the EC is unfair treatment of EU citizens from different countries (although this only helps for EU citizens travelling within the EU if Airbnb is actually forced to fix this). For example, if I'm a Swede, then I can only get a Swedish bank account with cards denominated in SEK, and if I want to stay at an Airbnb in France, I'm forced to pay in SEK with 3% markup while a German can pay the normal price in EUR, therefore, they are forcing EU citizens of different countries to pay different prices which isn't fair.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by moops380
Yes, perhaps leaving negative reviews to companies that engage in this will bring up awareness, but not really make a dent into the earnings DCC steals.
For a recent trip to the UK I was going to go with Airbnb but decided on VRBO instead precisely due to this issue. Worked out pretty well in the end.

Unfortunately, Airbnb is way more well known than the other services, so I'm also not sure a negative review is going to do much either. (In fact, I only found out about this because I ran across this thread on FT!) It might need a major travel blogger or other media article/video shedding light on this to trigger real change.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:28 am

In the meantime AirBnB wrote to me:

I would like to inform you that it is not possible to avoid those 3% of exchange rate when the currencies of the Host and the Guest are different.

It is also not possible to choose manually in which currency you would like to pay. It is chosen by your payment method, and in some cases, by your country. You can find more information about that here: https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/9...h-any-currency
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Forgive me if I'm being stupid here as I am not an EU citizen and am not super familiar with the quirks of the EC but here's my take:

I don't know exactly what OP said in their complaint to the EC but it seems like the EC evaluated the complaint on the basis that Airbnb is engaging in anti-competitive behavior, which I don't think any of us think is true; Airbnb has lots of competition from other homeshare sites and hotels.

I thought the basis of argument against Airbnb for the EC is unfair treatment of EU citizens from different countries (although this only helps for EU citizens travelling within the EU if Airbnb is actually forced to fix this). For example, if I'm a Swede, then I can only get a Swedish bank account with cards denominated in SEK, and if I want to stay at an Airbnb in France, I'm forced to pay in SEK with 3% markup while a German can pay the normal price in EUR, therefore, they are forcing EU citizens of different countries to pay different prices which isn't fair.
Please, no worries. I am no expert in this matter neither.
I think I just wrote to the EC asking if this is legal that AirBnB forces me into this DCC and that is basically the response I got. I am pretty sure that I did not mention any anti-competitive behavior.
I just described what happened to me. I tried to pay for an accommodation in Sweden with a French card (in Euro) and was forced into DCC. That was the reply by the EC.
I have no problem sending them again a text, but should I basically write again what you suggested in your last section?

Last edited by bluesaturn; Nov 8, 2017 at 1:38 am
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:16 pm

Looks like we won this in the end.

AirBNB now allows me to choose the currency I pay in; and the price comes out lower if I choose the hosts' native currency.

This is confirmed on their help pages:
https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/artic...h-any-currency
jackal, xerosum and DoB840 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by VolandoMe

AirBNB now allows me to choose the currency I pay in; and the price comes out lower if I choose the hosts' native currency.

This is confirmed on their help pages:
https://www.airbnb.com.au/help/artic...h-any-currency
I wonder why not in Brazil or China. Local laws?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by VolandoMe

Yes, is true. I just booked a condo in Bangkok and I was able to display prices in THB by changing currency to THB - and I was charged in THB regardless that I used a non-THB visa card. The savings were not signifcant as the amount paid was low and as a foreign currency conversion fee of 1.75% is applied by my credit card issuer.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Yes, is true. I just booked a condo in Bangkok and I was able to display prices in THB by changing currency to THB - and I was charged in THB regardless that I used a non-THB visa card. The savings were not signifcant as the amount paid was low and as a foreign currency conversion fee of 1.75% is applied by my credit card issuer.
Do they have credit cards with no foreign currency conversion fee in Denmark? Seems the banks must be making lots of money from Danes travelling to the Eurozone and Sweden.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Do they have credit cards with no foreign currency conversion fee in Denmark?
Not to my knowledge. Usually there is no annual fee but a currencı conversion fee of 1.5% to 2% is standard for Danish Visa and Mastercard. I'm very sure that it's golden goose for the banks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.