Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO
Reload this Page >

Airbnb's sneaky 3% FX fee - deceitful and infuriating, and now unavoidable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airbnb's sneaky 3% FX fee - deceitful and infuriating, and now unavoidable?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Well they did try it on with this reply:

"As you can see on page 85, 3th line: "POI currency conversion is a service that may be offered by a Merchant or Acquirer. The service enables a Cardholder to decide whether a Transaction should be completed in either the local currency or the billing currency."
It may be offered but it's not mandatory. Airbnb, unfortunately, don't have for now a way to do that."
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Who gave you that reply? AirBnB? Or your card issuer?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
That was from AirBnB.

Yes, I know they are converting my booking from EUR to GBP, and then trying to convince me with that Mastercard statement that it is not mandatory for them to offer a conversion! Even though they are forcing one on me!

Their logic goes out the window. I never went ahead with the booking anyhow and gave them the reason why. I am using another platform.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I wonder how their payment processor feels about them violating the merchant agreement....

EDIT: It's owned by Paypal, so I guess they don't care at all.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:12 am

Again, two posters who say there's no way to pay in the host's currency.
See posts #22 and #41 on how to get around this.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:43 am
JBD

Originally Posted by Frog Escalator
Again, two posters who say there's no way to pay in the host's currency.
See posts #22 and #41 on how to get around this.
Thanks for trying to help us.

My post above, #38, isn't that clear.

What happened with me is this:

The Airbnb rental is in Italy. I am American, with a USD credit card, and I want to pay in EUR.

I had selected EUR as my currency, and on the payment page the rental was showing with EUR amounts.

I had no cc information stored in my account.

I started to enter the new credit card information directly on the payment page. I had only typed the first 4 digits of my AMEX when the payment page refreshed and changed the currency to USD.

I hadn't even gotten to the input line where you enter "Country of Issue" which you referred to in your post.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by JBD
Thanks for trying to help us.

My post above, #38, isn't that clear.
Ah -- I tried looking into a way around it before I did my booking. So I'd already registered and "set" my GBP credit card to EUR on Airbnb's system (by the method on #22, #41) before I commenced the specific booking for the place I wanted to book. Paranoia forces me to say I hope they now don't close this final loophole.

Hope you were somehow able to book it without Airbnb's shameless mark-up.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:51 pm

Is the Charge Run by Airbnb in the US or the Host?

I've never used Airbnb.

But, it seems to me that if you are actually paying Airbnb (rather than the host), they can require payment in the US in US $$. The place of the charge is in the US, and there would be no obligation to allow payment in the US in anything other than US $$>

(Assuming I'm correct that the merchant is Airbnb in the US), then this is the opposite of the dynamic currency conversion situation - where you are in the foreign country, the location of the payment is in the foreign country, and the merchant attempts to have you pay in US $$, rather than the local currency. Here, Airbnb is simply requiring payment in the local currency of the place of the charge - US $$.

It's still a sleazy practice - but it's not analogous to dynamic currency conversion.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

I disputed two airbnb txns online on my Citi Prestige and got the disputed amounts (I did 5%) back, though I think Citi just ate it - I'm not sure if they follow up with the merchant on their end - I wish they would. I just said incorrect amount charged and said no I don't have a receipt. There was no place to say DCC otherwise I would have.

I'm now going to do the same thing on my Barclaycard Arrival but for that one I have to (annoyingly) call it in.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I've never used Airbnb.

But, it seems to me that if you are actually paying Airbnb (rather than the host), they can require payment in the US in US $$. The place of the charge is in the US, and there would be no obligation to allow payment in the US in anything other than US $$>

(Assuming I'm correct that the merchant is Airbnb in the US), then this is the opposite of the dynamic currency conversion situation - where you are in the foreign country, the location of the payment is in the foreign country, and the merchant attempts to have you pay in US $$, rather than the local currency. Here, Airbnb is simply requiring payment in the local currency of the place of the charge - US $$.

It's still a sleazy practice - but it's not analogous to dynamic currency conversion.

It actually shows local currency all the way through and then doesn't give you the option of purchasing in either local currency or your card currency, which I believe they are required to offer per network rules for FX transactions. It might be a bit of a gray area in terms of what the network rules permit and whether or not this is actually DCC, but I plan to keep disputing the transactions.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
I disputed two airbnb txns online on my Citi Prestige and got the disputed amounts (I did 5%) back, though I think Citi just ate it - I'm not sure if they follow up with the merchant on their end - I wish they would. I just said incorrect amount charged and said no I don't have a receipt. There was no place to say DCC otherwise I would have.

I'm now going to do the same thing on my Barclaycard Arrival but for that one I have to (annoyingly) call it in.
Chargebacks are somewhat automated. It would be on Airbnb to dispute the chargeback.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Chargebacks are somewhat automated. It would be on Airbnb to dispute the chargeback.
Well, I got a 'permanent' credit - so I don't think there's any dispute - if Airbnb disputes it with Citi and wins, I guess Citi will eat it?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:33 pm

Well, I got a 'permanent' credit - so I don't think there's any dispute - if Airbnb disputes it with Citi and wins, I guess Citi will eat it?
We disputed Priceline three years after they messed up our booking and refused to fix it. BoA gave us a "permanent" credit but charged us again when Priceline disputed it. Also, I doubt Citi would eat the charge. They're the 500lb gorilla versus all parties involved. They'll either tell Airbnb to suck it or re-instate the disputed charge.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
We disputed Priceline three years after they messed up our booking and refused to fix it. BoA gave us a "permanent" credit but charged us again when Priceline disputed it. Also, I doubt Citi would eat the charge. They're the 500lb gorilla versus all parties involved. They'll either tell Airbnb to suck it or re-instate the disputed charge.
Interesting, thanks! I thought permanent meant permanent! Guess not. Good point though that Citi will probably till Airbnb to suck it...I thought there's a $ amount limit below which banks don't really fight the charge with the merchant (or vice versa).
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:21 pm

Interesting, thanks! I thought permanent meant permanent! Guess not. Good point though that Citi will probably till Airbnb to suck it...I thought there's a $ amount limit below which banks don't really fight the charge with the merchant (or vice versa).
Think of it as "Permanent*". Also, I imagine chargebacks are fairly automated, so they don't eat that much of the cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.