Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO
Reload this Page >

Airbnb's sneaky 3% FX fee - deceitful and infuriating, and now unavoidable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airbnb's sneaky 3% FX fee - deceitful and infuriating, and now unavoidable?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many is not most properties are also listed on sites other than Airbnb. Check especially HomeAway. They bill in the property's currency, while still standing as the escrow holder until the rental commences. You pay a deposit at booking, the balance about a month prior to arrival. All through their website by CC, charged directly in the foreign currency.
And this difference shows in the pricing, generally noticeably more expensive on Airbnb.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrDrDr56
This problem is not new. On a $1500 cad stay they charged me in CAD and performed the conversion. I asked through multiple emails to opt out of the Dynamic Currency Conversion, as is my right, I believe as a consumer. They declined. I called and escalated the matter. Still declined.
Here's where it get's interesting though: I then tried to change my card later on for a different purpose. I was switching from Amex to Mastercard to fulfill spend requirements. They informed me over email that I would not be able to issue a chargeback for the DCC. I never had an intention of doing that, but now that they said it, I googled it, according to Visa/MC rules you can issue a chargeback for DCC. Airbnb seems to know about this and actively tries to dissuade you from doing it. I find this whole thing disgusting on AirBNB's part.
So did you ultimately do a chargeback? How did it go?

I've never liked them because both their hosts and customer service are arrogant. I have sterling reviews and have had hosts decline me for 'not being the right fit'. Customer service should be renamed lack of service for how unhelpful they are. I would be glad to see Booking.com and HomeAway kill them.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
Many is not most properties are also listed on sites other than Airbnb. Check especially HomeAway. They bill in the property's currency, while still standing as the escrow holder until the rental commences. You pay a deposit at booking, the balance about a month prior to arrival. All through their website by CC, charged directly in the foreign currency.
And this difference shows in the pricing, generally noticeably more expensive on Airbnb.
I always look for the same property on other websites like HomeAway - typically they are cheaper than on Airbnb. In this case unfortunately he apartment was only on Airbnb and I had a special discounted offer from the host and a coupon so I couldn't book anywhere else.

Free tip: I have always been able to save 10% just by asking apartments I'm interested in for a better price.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stvr
Doesn't Amex forbid DCC?
No.

AMEX network does NOT support DCC.

Only Visa and MC and you definitely can initiate a charge back on DCC. There are discussion on FT in the credit card forum, even provides the chargeback code info.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:10 pm

I have not read the Airbnb terms of service. But, I would be shocked if it did not contain an arbitration clause prohibiting class actions.

Originally Posted by abcx
I'm not a lawyer, but I hope a class action is filed about this.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: Olympian, no medals (non-elite status :p )
So did you ultimately do a chargeback? How did it go?
I didn't do the chargeback, but I should, shouldn't I...
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:42 am

(Background: You pay a host in your local currency and they tack on 3% to convert it to the host's local currency even if you have a no-fee card and can pay directly in the host's currency. They quote you a rate in your local currency and you'd never realize it unless you paid close attention during the checkout process that they are screwing you by 3% on the FX conversion.)

It used to be that you could change the currency at the bottom of the page to the host's currency and avoid Airbnb's stupid 3% 'convenience' fee for currency conversion (they marked up the exchange rate). I now see that there is no way to avoid this - even if I change the currency at the bottom of the page and the country of my residence and the billing country of my card, it still wants to charge me in USD instead of EUR for a booking in Europe and mark up the interbank USD/EUR exchange rate that I would get through my card.

Frankly this is deceitful and infuriating. Every other OTA manages to handle multiple currencies without stealing 3% from me.

Isn't this against Visa / Mastercard rules about Dynamic Currency Conversion?
There is a solution to this Airbnb payment problem. I tried it yesterday and it worked.

For the purposes of this step-by-step list, my card is UK-based/statement is in GBP and I wanted to pay in the host's currency (EUR). Airbnb didn't seem like they would allow it.

Try to do this before you set forth with doing the actual booking, but here's how it works:

-- If you have only one payment card listed in their system, add a new payment card (even one you have no intention of using for Airbnb payments)

-- Delete your existing card

-- Add your old preferred card again, but under "Country of Issue" put the destination country (e.g. Spain -- this works even when typing in your non-Spanish billing-address postcode). I.e. to be clear, I selected "Spain" but typed in my UK postcode.

-- Pay as usual ... and you can pay in the host's currency that is different from your card's base currency without Airbnb's scandalous mark-up!

It works!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by DrDrDr56
I didn't do the chargeback, but I should, shouldn't I...
Be the datapoint you wish to see in the world.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Again I'm not familiar with AirBNB, but they don't have any kind of loyalty/rewards program, right?
They recently partnered with Delta to give SkyMiles. I just booked an apartment; I'll see if the miles go through.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:42 pm

I assume that if you purchase airbnb credit/egift card with a credit card for future use that you can not avoid this fee right (protesting dcc)? thanks
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Edit: United for instance is another one that dynamically tries to change your currency based on billing address.
They do that more to stop people from taking advantage of fares they market for people who dont live in the US rather than to make money off currency conversion
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
Why does Airbnb force their own FX currency exchange rate? Surely my rights as a customer afford me choice of FX if I pay the total asked?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by phiota
I assume that if you purchase airbnb credit/egift card with a credit card for future use that you can not avoid this fee right (protesting dcc)? thanks
Perhaps, but you would then also lose the protection of your credit card company if you had an issue with the stay and, for example, needed/desired to dispute the charge, etc.

Regards
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CDKing
They do that more to stop people from taking advantage of fares they market for people who dont live in the US rather than to make money off currency conversion
It doesn't really stop that. The DCC seems more there to fleece customers, but does UA do DCC on united.com's non-US sites? Or is it just pricing in local currency?

UA fares available to those not living in the US are easily purchased with US credit cards on OTAs in every developed country with UA service and also in many developing countries with UA service too.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:19 pm
JBD

No longer seeing fine print mention of conversion

I haven't used Airbnb since June 2012. Then, when booking an apartment in Rome I noticed there was a difference in price depending on whether I had set my account to EUR, or set to USD.

From time to time I've checked a listing, both with my account set to EUR and with USD, and I've continued to notice a difference. But I'd see under the Total amount fine print explaining that the host's currency was in EUR and I'd be charged in USD with 3% fee. Or if I was set to EUR, I'd see fine print stating the amount I'd be charged in USD.

However now I'm seeing something different. I no longer see any fine print. (The example below is for a listing in Italy, and my address on file is in the U.S., but I don't have a stored cc in my Airbnb profile).

If I first select USD as my currency, then click on the listing and then click on Book after entering my dates, I get the payment page. And there I see absolutely no mention that the host's currency is EUR, and no mention there's a conversion fee.

And, if I start over, and select EUR as my currency, I end on the payment page showing all amounts in EUR, with no mention that I'll be charged in USD.

I have not gone so far as filling out my payment info, because that page shows a Submit payment button with no wording that I'd have the chance to review it - and I don't want to book anything yet.

Could this be a browser issue? I'm using Firefox 50.0.

Has anyone else come across this?

(It appears on the surface that I'd be able to select EUR as my currency and book the Italian apartment with my cc being charged in EUR - and thus avoid their 3% fee.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.