The High Line

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:47 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The High Line

http://www.thehighline.org/

Seems to have featured in just about every travel supplement in the UK in the last couple of months. I love the idea of it.

Has anybody here visited it? I have a quick stopover in New York between flights (basically, a Tuesday morning to kill), and, although I'm currently leaning towards the MOMA, this could appeal to my walking/photographic side. Any thoughts on it (and how busy it currently is!) would be very welcome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For some photos, see sbm12's post here: Post #5
For a link to a live webcam that overlooks part of the park, see cordelli's post here: Post #43

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Oct 30, 2009 at 10:52 am
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I live just a couple of blocks away but have not been yet. As between the Highline and the MOMA, I would decide based on the weather that morning: if it's indoor weather, go to the MOMA; if it's outdoor weather, go to the Highline. I would not be concerned about crowds on a Tuesday morning.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:01 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I went but was turned away from the entrance I was at the day after it opended. Apparently they are allowing entrance only at one place, but because it has not had the traffic they were expecting thanks to the weather you can now (as of last Friday) enter it at any of the entrance/exits. They did not see any need to post that information where people could find it or cover up all the entrance signs giving the wrong information

They have recently started posting entrance and exit information on the front page of their website, before it was hidden three pages deep as to which were exit only and where the one entrance was.

I would check the website before going to be sure you are heading to the right place in case traffic picks up and they start trying to regulate traffic.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was there yesterday and today (and will post some photos later when I leave the office). They were limiting access on Sunday because it was so crowded but on a weekday access is wide open.

The entrance that is always open is at Gansevoort Street. The others may be exit only at times. It isn't that complicated.

It is quite impressive as a park. Being up above the street level really helps it out.

The section that is open is only about a half mile long, so don't go expecting a nice long walk unless you plan to pace back and forth a bit.

Last edited by sbm12; Jun 23, 2009 at 12:35 pm
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:10 am

A bit later than I had hoped but I finally got my photos up this morning.

Just pictures here and pictures with some written explanation here.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your comments.

sbm12, those are excellent pictures - can I ask what lens you used for the last one (above)?

I am now trying to figure out a way of fitting in both the High Line and MOMA in a morning. Yes, it's probably a silly idea off a long-haul flight...
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
From the Tuesday WSJ...

A copse of gray birch and Allegheny Serviceberry surrounds visitors as they emerge at the top of a stair at the park's entry on Gansevoort Street. It's an undeniably magical moment as the gritty cobbles, warehouses, and even the chic boutiques of the Meatpacking District below are shrugged off and an urban Elysium rolls ahead for some eight blocks up to 20th Street (the next section, due to open in 2010, will extend as far as 30th Street; the last bit curves around Hudson Yards).

A Railway Runs Through It: New York's newest park, built on an abandoned track running above Manhattan's West Side.
Since opening and despite some rain, crowds have been so dense that at busy times a line stretches down the block toward the West Side Highway. For now, people can stroll in only one direction -- from south to north -- with guards heading off entry at all other points.

More here... http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124571055656438803.html
Old Jun 24, 2009, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by stut

sbm12, those are excellent pictures - can I ask what lens you used for the last one (above)?

I am now trying to figure out a way of fitting in both the High Line and MOMA in a morning. Yes, it's probably a silly idea off a long-haul flight...
I have a fisheye lens on my DSLR. It is lots of fun.

As for fitting both in, I guess it depends on how much time you want to spend in the museum and overall how much time you'll have in Manhattan. You could do something like the E train to 14th Street, walk the High Line, E to 53rd, MOMA and then the E back to JFK. I'd budget 60 minutes at a minimum from leaving the E station at 14th to getting back to it. That would let you walk over to the park, do a loop and then get back to the station. But it would not leave much time to dally.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
From the Tuesday WSJ...
<snip>
For now, people can stroll in only one direction -- from south to north -- with guards heading off entry at all other points.
That is really not the case in reality. I am sure it would be on a weekend but I have entered twice at 16th and once at 18th; I've actually not walked all the way down to the Gansevoort end yet. When it is crowded they may be restricting access (I saw the signs available at 18th to be put out in such scenarios) but if you can go off-peak times then access is not a problem from the other ingress points.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
I have a fisheye lens on my DSLR. It is lots of fun.
Oh, that is very tempting...

As for fitting both in, I guess it depends on how much time you want to spend in the museum and overall how much time you'll have in Manhattan. You could do something like the E train to 14th Street, walk the High Line, E to 53rd, MOMA and then the E back to JFK. I'd budget 60 minutes at a minimum from leaving the E station at 14th to getting back to it. That would let you walk over to the park, do a loop and then get back to the station. But it would not leave much time to dally.
It'll actually be rather easier than that - I'm staying overnight with friends in Brooklyn (near Grand Army Plazy), and leaving in the afternoon from LGA. I've factored in time for lunch at the Oyster Bay at Grand Central, too I'll have a think about it - see what exhibitions are on at the time, too.

Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:09 am

Oh, that is very tempting...
If you have a Pentax K-Mount I might share, at least so you can get a feel for how it works. PM me about that.

It'll actually be rather easier than that - I'm staying overnight with friends in Brooklyn (near Grand Army Plazy), and leaving in the afternoon from LGA. I've factored in time for lunch at the Oyster Bay at Grand Central, too I'll have a think about it - see what exhibitions are on at the time, too.

Thanks!
That does make it easier in that you will get to the park much more easily. Take the 2/3 over and just walk the extra block, I'd say. Still figure on at least an hour for the walk over and visit. And, depending on the day I might be in town hanging out over there. Lemme know if you do plan to stop by; I'll stop in and say hi.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond

The Highline opens at 7, MOMA doesn't open till 10:30. If you get up early enough, you can easily do both, just hit the Highline first.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver, Aeroplan, SPG Platinum, Hyatt
I was just there 2 days ago and they still have people posted at both the 16th St and 20th St exits saying that the only entrance is on Gansevoort Street.

To maximize the whole park experience, I would recommend using this entrance. Plus, you won't be going against pedestrian traffic if it gets busy.

When you get out at the 20th St exit, you can catch the uptown E train at 23rd St/8th Ave to go to the MoMa (53rd Street).

If you're planning to go this coming Tuesday, there's nothing special happening at the MoMa. However, the James Ensor exhibition should be open to the public by then.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 2:25 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

FWIW there was no guard at 16th street at 4pm today when I walked by. Certainly starting at Gansevoort is a sure thing while the others are not but if you happen to not be that far south to begin with trying at the other entrances won't hurt.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by cordelli
The Highline opens at 7. . .
One of the reasons I'm staying away, at least for the moment. I want to show some sympathy for the residents of the adjoining buildings, e.g. the Westcoast Apartments on Horatio.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Since opening and despite some rain, crowds have been so dense that at busy times a line stretches down the block toward the West Side Highway. For now, people can stroll in only one direction -- from south to north -- with guards heading off entry at all other points.
That sounds awful. When the hype is over, we'll take a look.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.