Wiki Posts
Search

The High Line

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
For whom?
For just about everyone that I can figure. The park is great and having it bigger is better. Plus it should help for property value in the area where it extends.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
That's my current office building in the picture, it would be nice to have an entrance to the park right outside it. Make for nice summer and fall lunch strolls.

Of course, by the time they get around to finishing that part we will probably have decided to move to the other side of town or something.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by sbm12
For just about everyone that I can figure. The park is great and having it bigger is better. Plus it should help for property value in the area where it extends.
I agree completely. On the last point, I know a large commercial property owner who spent a ton of money fighting the High Line; they are thrilled that they lost!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:03 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
We went to see it late last summer and thought it was great. Interesting architecture/landscaping, lots of good photo ops. Was definitely still crowded, though, so I'd love to see it extended.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:13 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
A visit to this new park is very high on my list of things to do for my visit in a few weeks. I am enjoying getting to learn more and more about all the great things NYC has to offer! ^
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
The High Line has done nothing for the 85% of the City's population that does not live in Manhattan.

As to property values, I am hearing that fewer people are interested in living in apartments overlooking the noise and gawkers of that area.

Originally Posted by Blumie
I agree completely. On the last point, I know a large commercial property owner who spent a ton of money fighting the High Line; they are thrilled that they lost!
I don't know who you know. What I do know is that the overwhelming majority of business owners in the area objected to the formation of a BID.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The High Line has done nothing for the 85% of the City's population that does not live in Manhattan.
So I guess by that logic, the city should abandon all redevelopment and preservation efforts unless it can find one that crosses all five boroughs.

The High Line has been an overwhelming success. And even people from Brooklyn are allowed to come into the City and enjoy it!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
So I guess by that logic, the city should abandon all redevelopment and preservation efforts unless it can find one that crosses all five boroughs.

The High Line has been an overwhelming success. And even people from Brooklyn are allowed to come into the City and enjoy it!
Not my logic and not what I said. I replied to sbm12 who said it was good for everyone. I don't think it's good for everyone, not even everyone in Manhattan.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 3:37 pm

Not true. Anything that increases tourism in the city benefits all the residents in the form of tax revenue. Plus, many of the merchants operating shops in the neighborhoods surrounding the park do not live in Manhattan.

Developments that make the city more attractive benefit the entire city, not just the folks who live right there.

Who is it bad for?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not my logic and not what I said. I replied to sbm12 who said it was good for everyone. I don't think it's good for everyone, not even everyone in Manhattan.
You're being pedantic. Some might even accuse you of sounding like a lawyer.

The High Line is a wonderful project worthy of the City's support. Is it good for everyone? Well, it's probably not good for the companies that would have been hired to tear it down, had that plan come to pass. And I'm sure there are others who would prefer that the crowds stay away from their neighborhood. (Although it's hard to have sypmathy for someone who moves to the Meatpacking District and then complains about crowds. Of course, they always can sell and benefit from the increase in property values that I suspect has resulted from the High Line's success.)

In general, there is widespread belief that the High Line development has been a good thing (in fact, a very good thing), a few complainers notwithstanding (and you know who you are!).
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:38 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

There is a ridiclous line out here this afternoon. Access is only being permitted at Gansevoort (or 16 for elevator) and the line at Gansevoort is a couple hundred people long. I'd avoid this on weekends for a while until the novelty wears off or gethere VERY early to avoid the crowds.
How crowded is it these days? Is access still limited?
My wife and I intend to visit on November 13 or 14.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Live webcam of it (well of the hotel everybody likes to watch the naked people at their windows at). The highline is the grassy area middle right of the screen with the path in it. It's currently pretty empty, and it's a bright sunny day out there.

http://www.standardhotels.com/new-york-city/webcam/
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
Live webcam of it (well of the hotel everybody likes to watch the naked people at their windows at). The highline is the grassy area middle right of the screen with the path in it. It's currently pretty empty, and it's a bright sunny day out there.

http://www.standardhotels.com/new-york-city/webcam/
Nice picture! Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LibFlyer
How crowded is it these days? Is access still limited?
My wife and I intend to visit on November 13 or 14.
Although on nice days, the High Line still is attracting good crowds, I have not seen access limited or restricted in any way in a long time.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:54 am

Although on nice days, the High Line still is attracting good crowds, I have not seen access limited or restricted in any way in a long time.
Ditto. I haven't seen it limited in several weeks now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.