Search

Inconveniences and ripoffs on the JFK airtrain

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2008, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Inconveniences and ripoffs on the JFK airtrain

Things I noticed or experienced on my just concluded trip:

1. I bought a 10 trip ticket for $25. The second time I tried to use it, it rejected it and said, "No good, swipe again." I did and it promptly deducted a second trip.

I complained to the staff, who this time were hiding in their glass office. They looked at the ticket and agreed that I had been charged twice. Then they told me that, despite the message, I should have come to them. My only recourse now was to wait until the ticket was completely used up, then mail it with an explanation, and 6-8 weeks later I would presumably get a $2.50 refund.

Now who is going to do THAT? I call that a ripoff.

2. During the late morning on a weekday, the around the airport route wasn't running at all. That meant that if you had to go from a higher number terminal to a lower number one, you'd have to go to stop C, and then go down one floor and wait again for a train back. No one that I saw was telling newbies how to do that, btw.

3. It may be a slow summer for the airlines, but it still the summer peak. Trains running only once every 10 minutes to each of Jamaica and Howard Beach meant always crowded trains when I went -- definitely not the busiest times either. How about at least adding an additional car?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
You obviously hit a pretty good stretch of bad luck. In general the AirTrain runs very smoothly.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by RichardInSF

1. I bought a 10 trip ticket for $25. The second time I tried to use it, it rejected it and said, "No good, swipe again." I did and it promptly deducted a second trip.

I complained to the staff, who this time were hiding in their glass office. They looked at the ticket and agreed that I had been charged twice. Then they told me that, despite the message, I should have come to them. My only recourse now was to wait until the ticket was completely used up, then mail it with an explanation, and 6-8 weeks later I would presumably get a $2.50 refund.

I'm not sure why you think you are being ripped off. Electronic systems occasionally malfunction, and the AirTrain staff told you how you can get reimbursed. On the rare occasions when I was overcharged on my Metrocard (as, for example, when I was charged a second fare when transferring from subway to bus), I mailed my card in -- in a postpaid envelope -- and received a refund, and it did not take 6 to 8 weeks, either. If it's not worth your time and trouble to do so, that's one thing, but you're not being "ripped off" by anyone.

By the way, did you re-swipe your card at the same turnstile, or did you move to a different one?

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 13, 2008 at 6:36 am
Old Jul 13, 2008, 8:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle

2. During the late morning on a weekday, the around the airport route wasn't running at all. That meant that if you had to go from a higher number terminal to a lower number one, you'd have to go to stop C, and then go down one floor and wait again for a train back. No one that I saw was telling newbies how to do that, btw.

3. It may be a slow summer for the airlines, but it still the summer peak. Trains running only once every 10 minutes to each of Jamaica and Howard Beach meant always crowded trains when I went -- definitely not the busiest times either. How about at least adding an additional car?
Ouch. Sounds like you did indeed hit a string of bad luck. I can't comment on the swiping procedure because I've never done that.

I do agree that the signage for the Airtrain is among teh worst I've ever seen. If you're not used to it, as I am now, it can be extremely confusing. As a matter of fact, the very first time i used the Airtrain, I got on the wrong one and instead of heading back to parking, I was going in the other direction. Not a big deal, unless I was running late for a flight!

On the other hand, the frequency of the Airtrain depends on the time of day. At off peak hours, yes, it does run every 10 minutes. Again, through experience, I've learned to build in a little extra Airtrain time. But I've also used it when its been running every 5 minutes.

Overall, I like the Airtrain. I still remember taking those old, decrepit, extremely crowded, and lacking enough luggage storage spaces, buses.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:05 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
[SIZE=1]

I'm not sure why you think you are being ripped off. Electronic systems occasionally malfunction, and the AirTrain staff told you how you can get reimbursed. On the rare occasions when I was overcharged on my Metrocard (as, for example, when I was charged a second fare when transferring from subway to bus), I mailed my card in -- in a postpaid envelope -- and received a refund, and it did not take 6 to 8 weeks, either. If it's not worth your time and trouble to do so, that's one thing, but you're not being "ripped off" by anyone.

By the way, did you re-swipe your card at the same turnstile, or did you move to a different one?
I re-swiped at the same turnstile (which seems to work fine when I do it on the subway).

What postpaid envelope? None was offered to me. But yes, maybe I am a bit jaded in my old age, I would usually not handwrite a letter of explanation for $2.50 even if there was prepaid postage.

The best solution is to allow the employees at the scene to correct it or, if that was beyond the technical capability of the system(?), change the wording on the displayed message to "Do not swipe again, contact staff."

I agree that overall the Airtrain is nice and I will continue to use it. But it would be so easy to fix the signage and problems like the one I experienced, so my assumption is that they don't want to.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best solution is to allow the employees at the scene to correct it or, if that was beyond the technical capability of the system(?), change the wording on the displayed message to "Do not swipe again, contact staff."
I have never heard of the problem you encountered. The "swipe again at this turnstyle" message is very common -- all of us have gotten it -- but I never knowingly have been charged twice.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I re-swiped at the same turnstile (which seems to work fine when I do it on the subway).

What postpaid envelope? None was offered to me. But yes, maybe I am a bit jaded in my old age, I would usually not handwrite a letter of explanation for $2.50 even if there was prepaid postage.
If you are so inclined, the next time you are at a staffed subway booth, ask the agent for a postpaid envelope for mailing in a Metrocard.

It seems to me that the real rip-off at the JFK AirTrain is the failure to inform out-of-towners of the 15% bonus on pay-per-ride Metrocards. One does not need to spend $10 to get two AirTrain rides: $8.70 will buy a Metrocard with $10.01 in value, enough for two rides. Unfortunately, the unsuspecting couple that is leaving New York after visiting will pay $10.00, get a Metrocard with $11.50 in value, and then have no use for the $1.50 remaining on the card!

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 13, 2008 at 12:07 pm
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought a 10 trip ticket for $25.
Are these tickets still offered. I see no mention of them on the AirTrain website.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
I bought a 10 trip ticket for $25.
Are these tickets still offered. I see no mention of them on the AirTrain website.
Blumie, the 10-trip AirTrain Metrocard is mentioned on the AirTrain website, but you really have to search to find it. Look under the FAQ's, and you'll find a link to discounts. The 10-trip is there.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
That has happened to me on numerous occassions. The card reader is very sensitive (much more so than the subway card readers). Generally, I don't put more than $5 on my card and if the machine deducts the money without letting me through, I go to the attendants that will check my card, see that the fare has been deducted, and let me pass. Unfortunately, it is a real pain in the a.s adding only $5 at a time, particularly if you have multilpe trips coming up.

Also, I agree that taking down the intra terminal line during the day is also a pain. Particularly for me because I can get off at Term 1 and transfer across to the intra terminal train, stopping next at Term 8, AA's terminal.

But the JFK Airtran beats the EWR Airtran anyday even with those quirks and hey its the Port Authority running the show.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

Blumie, the 10-trip AirTrain Metrocard is mentioned on the AirTrain website, but you really have to search to find it. Look under the FAQ's, and you'll find a link to discounts. The 10-trip is there.
Are any discounts or reduced fees available for AirTrain?
A: A 10-trip AirTrain MetroCard for $25.00 and 30-day and Monthly Unlimited Ride MetroCards for AirTrain are available for $40. These are the only reduced fee MetroCards for AirTrain. For more information, please see Cost & Tickets.

10 trips for $25.00 = $2.50 per trip vs $5.00. After all these years of use, I learned something new.

Normally I'd buy a $10 card giving me $11.50 worth of rides. I wonder if this card expires in one year like the other cards in the system do?

Looks like I'll have to buy the 10 trip next week. Thanks. ^
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only a $2.50 ripoff in NYC? I can remember when the minimum tourist ripoff was $10.

MisterNice
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
A: A 10-trip AirTrain MetroCard for $25.00 and 30-day and Monthly Unlimited Ride MetroCards for AirTrain are available for $40. These are the only reduced fee MetroCards for AirTrain. For more information, please see Cost & Tickets.

10 trips for $25.00 = $2.50 per trip vs $5.00. After all these years of use, I learned something new.

Normally I'd buy a $10 card giving me $11.50 worth of rides. I wonder if this card expires in one year like the other cards in the system do?

I think that the 10-trip AirTrain Metrocard is valid for only six months from first use.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by dhammer53

As for the other (pay-per-ride) cards expiring, you can transfer any unused balance to a new card. This option is NOT available on the $25-for-10-ride card.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:56 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
I think that the 10-trip AirTrain Metrocard is valid for only six months from first use.
I read that as well, but I could've sworn it's been over 6 months for my card, and it worked last night... If anyone had been chatty and friendly on the train, I could've swiped another person or two through since my card could expire any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.